“Great hotel, service and food”

Three Ways House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleton
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, service and food”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting with around 15 other colleges. Staff were fantastic and the food was great. I always find it refreshing to stay in a hotel that isn't pretentious and you feel comfortable in. Yes, as other reviewers have said the phone signal is non existent and the wi-fi is shaky but if you want to get away from it all this is the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard H
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you Richard for your positive comments. Our aim is to be unpretentious but efficient and friendly, so it is good to know it is appreciated. I will pass on your comments to our team. I am sorry that the mobile signal is not the best, and that our wifi is limited by the bandwidth coming from our local BT exchange. I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to the hotel again.
Simon Coombe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I bought my husband an experience of the pudding club for Christmas which entailed an overnight stay in this hotel. It's in a beautiful location close to Chipping Campden and Stratford upon Avon in a quiet village. On check in we were given a pudding club bedroom which added to the fun. The room was very comfortable, nice tea tray with homemade biscuits, comfy bed and armchair. The only negative was the bath, I'm short and I couldn't fit in it comfortably, it was tiny. Supper was brilliant and breakfast the next morning was great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
I am really pleased that you had a comfortable stay and appreciated the fun of the Oriental Ginger Pudding room, and found it comfortable and enjoyed the homemade biscuits,I am sorry that the corner bath was not to your liking. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of supper and breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Lovely venue, room was lovely. The food was excellent and friendly helpful staff. Great for business, shame the O2 mobile signal is hopeless there and Wi-Fi limited. Phone not hotels fault but WiFi needs a boost. Would consider a leisure break here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place a review after your stay with us on business. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and food so much. Sorry that the 02 phone signal is not great, we do have a booster which helps a bit. In terms of WiFi we have a bang up to date system which ensures our available bandwidth is shared evenly among users, but our village location with no fibre optic cable as yet does limit the available bandwidth. I hope that BT Open reach will move us up the list and provide fibre optic soon.
I look forward to welcoming you back for a leisure visit.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was delighted when my husband surprised me with a weekend away for our first year wedding anniversary.
We stayed here after we got married so it was really nice to go back.
He selected the syrup sponge room this time and I found this room better than the sticky toffee one we had last year. It was bigger and also on the first floor.
The Room - Lovely theme and amazingly big bed. Nice corner bath and lovely shower over. I noticed that the light bulb overhead of the bed was blown and mentioned this on my second day, and it was replaced immediately. My criticism of this room is that the overhead headboard, which is decorated in a light yellow with bee's on it, looked burnt. I will upload a pic of this. This disappointed me, because I feel that a 5* hotel should pay attention to the detail, like the bulb and overhead area. There were a range of cushions on the bed and one had a minor mark on, looked like a spillage residue and again, I would not expect these things in a 5*.
I must point out, I am very critical by nature, I have fairly high standards and expectations (when it comes to spending my money)

Sleep quality
The bed was brilliant! BUT! On friday night, at around 0330-0400 I heard what I can only imagine to be a delivery of sorts. Sounded like rolling trolleys or something.
The room is above the lounge so that is something to bear in mind if you like a quiet room - this may not be the best for you.
On Saturday night, I couldn't sleep as I'd eaten too much. At around 0130 there was a noise that sounded like the spin cycle on an old washing machine... It went on for about 5 minutes and I did call reception and asked them about it. They didn't know what it was but I did hear someone walk up and along the corridor and by that time it had stopped, but occurred once more. The reception did call back to tell me that they had checked.

So for me - the sleep quality in that room - was not good. My husband however - can sleep through anything and he thoroughly enjoyed the room and being able to stretch out without bumping into me.

The lounge area is lovely, open fireplace, comfortable seating, games to play!

Pudding Club - 24th
This was our second visit and I found this better than last year.
I was able to eat 7 small portions of pudding and was amazed by the Passionfruit Charlotte. It was delicious! I will be doing a review of the restaurant as I ate there on the Saturday evening.
The breakfast is delicious and I cannot fault it at all.

Overall - I would recommend a visit, a weekend break with pudding club.
The hotel need to pay a bit more attention to detail but overall very good and I'm sure we will be back :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review after your recent stay in the Syrup Sponge room. I am sorry that a bulb needed replacing and the underside of the bed canopy has a heat mark, we are waiting for fabric to replace this. I am also a little confused by the noise you heard but it could be the fan we have on one of our open fire chimneys catching in the wind. It is really pleasing to read that you enjoyed the Pudding Club and in particular the Passion Fruit Charlotte. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at the hotel, room good and nice to have lower ground floor to let the dog out etc. However did sting us for an extra £15.00 for having a dog in the room, appears a little greedy given the room was at the top end price.
The room above us was very noisy into the early morning, need to put some sound proofing down I guess.
Evening meal good until we got to the pudding bit, had the sharing serving for two which would have fed about six, what a silly idea so much on a plate which was wasted.
Breakfast not good served on a help yourself buffet style table, very greasy, not impressed for £140.00 per night.

Stayed January 2014
SimonCoombe, Owner at Three Ways House Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you found the charge we make for dogs too high. As a dog owner I really appreciate hotels that welcome dogs, so few are willing to accept the risk. We make a charge of £15 for the first night and £5 per night for subsequent nights, this includes a box of doggy bits and pieces to help make their stay comfortable, and the extra cleaning required, I think fairly reasonable by comparison to kennel charges and a lot less stress for the dog and owner. We also try and allocate ground floor rooms with patios for ease of access.
I am sorry you were disturbed by neighbouring noise and found the Trio of Puddings a little too large.
Many Thanks
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

As a birthday surprise for my wife I booked a Pudding Club weekend break at the Three Ways House Hotel in Mickleton near Chipping Camden. Not perhaps the easiest of places to drive to but well worth it. It all started on the Friday night with the activity beginning at 7.30pm with a glass of sparkling elderflower presse and an explanation of the evening's procedure. A light 1st course was served before the main event of the - the puddings, 7 in all - Spotted Dick, Sticky Toffee & Date Pudding, Syrup Sponge, Squidgy Chocolate & Nut Pudding, Passion Fruit Roulade, Seville Orange Pudding and Apple Crumble all topped off with custard. The puddings enter the dining room to a rapturous applause. The members of each table are then invited in turn to select their individual choice of pudding which continues in this order until all puddings or as many as wanted have been tasted. The evening is concluded with a vote for the best pudding and draws to a close at 10.30/11.00pm. All in all a very memorable experience. However, I felt that vanilla ice cream would have made a good alternative to custard with the crumble and roulade and further the addition of cinnamon and/or sultanas in the crumble would have given it a lift.

On the Saturday night we ate in the main restaurant and had an excellent 3 course meal. The buffet breakfast was superb with home made granola, muesli, stewed prunes, apricots, mixed fruit, fresh fruit salad, crispy croissant and toast. The hot food was of the highest quality. The bedroom and adjoining bathroom were clean and comfortable and came with all the necessary toiletries. The staff were friendly and attentive and could not have done more to make our stay one to remember. I have one complaint about the open fire in the lounge which in certain windy conditions impregnates your hair and clothing with fumes. I would however recommend the hotel and Pudding Club for a break in the Cotswold.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I am delighted that your wife's birthday celebration at the Pudding Club was a great success. Thank you for the positive comments regarding the evening and your stay, I appreciate your constructive comments as well, we try and vary the puddings and do on occasions add cinnamon to the apple crumble, we also do a great Toffee Apple Crumble. Offering ice cream from the buffet is a little more of a problem, we would struggle to keep it cold enough, but if you come again just ask and we can always get you some from the kitchen. I will pass on your kind comments to all involved, I am so pleased it was a memorable weekend.
Many thanks
birmingham england
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband & I spent last night here as a Christmas present.We were booked in to room 37 - a delightfully decorated & spacious room overlooking the garden at the front of the hotel.We had an early dinner as the hotel was playing host to the Opera Dudes - a very talented duo who combine Operatic arias with much humour & this was an excellent venue for their act. It was organised by the Creative Cows Comedy Club of Chipping Campden, and branded Comedy with Custard! Dinner was of an extremely high standard, & we were lucky enough to sample up to 3 of the famous puddings from the Pudding Club that has been based here for so many years, in the interval - served of course with lashings of custard! Breakfast too was freshly cooked to order and there was a very good array of fresh fruits, compote, yogurts & cereals out in addition. All the staff, both front of house & in the dining room, were, without exception, cheerful, smiling and welcoming, which makes such a difference. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay in this delightful hotel and we shall certainly look forward to a return trip there.

Room Tip: Room 37 was of a good size with a view over the front garden, with a modern en suite &Molten &am...