“A splendid hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleton
tyneside
“A splendid hotel”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was put up in this hotel on a business trip - what a place! I had a "pudding room" - superb! I would go back there as an excellent base to tour the Cotswolds (but I suspect it will be a bit expensive.
Dinner was good, although the beef steak was a little "chewy" - lovely taste though - and my companions had puddings to drool over.
Breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Whilst expensive, room 38 (a "pudding room") was excellent. Corner bath as well!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Positives:
Easy to find hotel and park.
Friendly staff and room key ready on arrival, despite arriving early
Open fire burning in reception area, giving a warm and cosy atmosphere
Bedroom was clean, tastefully furnished, and very comfortable bed and pillows giving a lovely nights sleep.
Complimentary tea/coffee making facilities in bedroom and toiletries available in bathroom.
There was a hairdryer in one of the draws but no iron/ironing board. However, I’m sure if asked the hotel would have been able to provide one.
Lovely view from bedroom window – Overlooked garden area to right and street with cotswoldly building to the left.
Food was delicious and also participated in a Pudding Club which was fun and novel. If you have a sweet tooth, then this is a real treat not to be missed!
Bar and lounge areas also had an open fire with plenty of different style seating to suit different needs and a well socked bar.
There is a lift at the back of the hotel to bedrooms.
Public toilets clean and tidy with Molton Brown handwash and hand cream in ladies

Negatives:
Tap water in room took a long time to run warm, but never got hot.
Shower had good water pressure and ran hot enough on the hottest setting.
Radiator turned on full but it barely took chill off the bedroom.

Overall a lovely stay and would return.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 42 which was a standard double.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Staffordshire
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 night break over New Year. This is a very good, privately owned hotel where the owners are VERY hands on and it shows in exellent staff and service. The hotel is the home of the Pudding Club so calorie watchers beware! New Year's Eve dinner and dance a tribute to the efforts of all the staff and very enjoyable.

We were walking every day - needed to to counter the overindulgence and the area has a large range of walks for all abilities as well as beautiful villages to visit.

If you want spacious bedrooms and bathrooms then you might be a bit disappointed - compact is the word springing to mind about the bathroom but overall an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Somerset, England
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel has the appearance and feel of a cosy country inn but hidden behind the charming look and feel are a surprisingly large number of bedrooms and the ability to cater for groups as well as individuals. Yet you feel as if you are the only people here, the lounge has a crackling real fire and comfortable sofas, with plenty of board games provided to tempt you to pull up a chair and while away the hours with tea and cake. There is a spacious bar area which I used to catch up on all my e mails using the free wifi - again assisted by tea and cake. The service is warm and friendly and you feel like an individual. The individuality extends to the bedrooms where there are many rooms themed around food. I had the Summer Pudding room so the walls were all painted with berries and vines. There are as many small and special touches as I could think of in the rooms to set this apart from an ordinary hotel - patio doors with quality seats outside and then a jar of tea light candles to light of an evening outside if you wanted, Bose stereo, Molton & Brown toiletries. They really have thought of everything. I am a pretty picky hotel resident but I couldn't find fault here. The food is excellent, not only the famous puddings, but all courses were expertly prepared. I would definitely stay again for a work meeting or a leisure weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed over the Summer (August) with three generations of family to celebrate my mother's birthday. Her present from us was dinner in the Pudding club. Although there was an initial delay for our room ( to accommodate my wife, two small daughters and I) due to a late check out, everything else was great. My parents stayed in the chocolate room with an excellent chocolate theme and powerful air conditioning that was a blessing during the Summer. My sister stayed in the Spotted dick room which had an extra separate box room with a bunk bed that was perfect for her kids and there was still room for a travel cot in the main room.

We stayed in a large family room which was an excellent size for our toddlers to run around in. A minor frustration of the room was the wireless router attached to our wall but not shielded from view, thus meaning that the blinking lights continued throughout the night.

The breakfast service was good, with a variety of pastries and hot food. The food for the dinner service was okay but was nothing spectacular. The real treat was the pudding club on our second night. It is definitely an experience worth trying once!

The staff are friendly and were welcoming to our kids ( all under 4), however, some of the guests were a bit disapproving.

The surrounding area is beautiful and walking around the area is a must.

I would probably consider returning but perhaps when the kids are older.

Room Tip: The pudding suites are interesting and worth considering.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We visited the Pudding Club as a birthday gift from our children.
You begin with a main course followed by seven puddings.Each pudding is bought into the room amid much applause.I had to concede after four but my husband managed seven!!
We had a very enjoyable evening and wished we had booked a room int the hotel as we were so full.
We will definately be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethL94
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Booked a themed room and a superior room, initially impressions of the hotel were pleasing. On the time of the booking I explained that it was a treat for my father who had just finished his treatment for cancer. He loves spotted dick so we booked the room and explained(unfortunately) did not put it in writing, that could he have a pudding of spotted dick. This was something we were happy to pay extra for, if it was not on the menu. When we arrived unfortunately they were not able to help. We were informed that the puddings were not made on site and I should have put in a request(. We did, but not in writing). It just felt that they did not go out of their way and considering we paid in excess of £720 for 1 night for 4 adults and 2 children, and considering we wanted it to be a special occasion for my dad, I felt a little let down. Rooms ok, clean but I felt overpriced when compared to the competition in neighboring villages. The actual puddings evening, I thought would of been better if the puddings were warmer and the offer of clean dishes were made available, as after a few puddings particularly with custard, the bowls and the tables look a mess and with the meringue dish, it would of been nicer in a clean bowl. I did explain my issues when leaving, I was offered a pudding to take home. I just felt that what was paid and that it was an important trip for my family, the management could of made a bit more of an effort, we travelled 3 hours to get there. Best thing about the night away was the breakfast. My opinion, book in a hotel that you like and order 7 puddings

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JJSilcock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleton
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#5 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Three Ways House Hotel? Share your experiences!