“Fantastic!”

Agriturismo Pian di Meta Vecchia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights here in late August at the end of a 2 week holiday in Tuscany. What was so wonderful was the peace and quiet and the fantastic hospitality offered by Elena and Andreas.

I absolutely love Italian food and the breakfasts and dinners we had here were amongst if not the best food we have experienced in Italy. In the evening you never knew what you were going to be eating but everything was divine. Friday night was fish night and whilst I personally don't really like fish it was just superb especially the marinated octopus!

This is a great spot in which to kick of your shoes and just relax. Saying that we went walking everyday and Elena is really helpful in giving advice on where to go to. There are lots of well defined walking paths nearby and we did a lovely walk to the monastery of Sant’Antimo and back.

The rooms are great - very comfortable and served its purpose for all the time we actually spent in the room - we went for the most basic room and they all looked pretty similar.

You do need to be patient on the drive up to the place but do be patient as it is well worth the effort and it was just so wonderful - the views, food and hospitality make it all worthwhile - you are treated like friend rather than a guest!

Room Tip: The rooms are great - very comfortable and served its purpose for all the time we actually spent in...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise D

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This heavenly spot is well worth the drive. Located in the gorgeous Val d'Orcia, the small hotel accommodates six groups, mostly couples. The one suite will welcome two couples.
We stayed seven nights, hiking during the days and enjoying Andrea and Elena's fine hospitality during the evenings. We met several interesting travelers during our time here, an important benefit.
The rooms are fresh, clean and simply but thoughtfully designed.
Close to the hot baths of Bagno Vignoni, the hill towns of Momtalcino, Rocco d'Orcia and the great walks of Monte Amiata.
(Don't rent a car with low clearance if you are going here!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautiful agroturismo is a peace and soul-food temple. We enjoyed the views, the room, hiking from the location, home-made food and lovely people.

Breakfasts were in a poetic way composed of the fresh fruit, ricotta cheese, yoghurt and pastries acompaniated with great coffee or thee depending on ones choice. The table look as it was ready to be paineted also for the dinner setting when a rich in flavours and color food was served.

Our room was fairly spacious, very clean and nite. All put together with delicate rustic but also modern touch. All details gave the place great Tuscany feel - staring from the smell of the toiletries and finishing by the light comming in to the room through bigger and smaller windows.

We enjoyed Tuscany in autumn. Can't wait to visit it in spring!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 days, which was not our intention, because of our roundtrip, after one night we decided to stay one more night.. Perfect setting, the view is amazing, the lady of the house knows how to threat her guests on a very relax way.. the food they make is really good, breakfast is like a very good sunday morning brunch.

This is the place what you think it exists only in movies settings!

Room Tip: it is so peacefull over there that all rooms are perfect I think.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We more than enjoyed our stay of two days in this fantastic remote place. A perfect place to relax. Already the last five kilometers to the place on an untarred forest road force you to slow down. The 'albergo' is beautifully situated high up in the Orcia valley with a view on the valley, the surrounding hills, some castles and remote farms. Beautiful things to see in the surroundings, for instance Bagno Vignoli with its famous, ancient hot water spa.
However, most impressive is the albergo in itself. Starting with a heartly, warm welcome that makes you feel home immediately. Though we arrived late - thanks to Alitalia and the airport in Rome we arrived at 10.30 pm instead of 3.30 pm - Elena and Andrea welcomed us with a good grappa and wine to help us forget the travel frustrations and with an excellent meal. That brings me to the food: excellent, down to earth, perfectly prepared, high quality, local ingredients. This is true for diners and breakfast. The finishing touch at one breakfast was a delicious birthday cake witch helped me to cope with the fact that I got sixty. And finally, the accommodation: we had a very comfortable, spacious room, designed according the rule 'less is more', a big, very comfortable bad and a spacious bathroom.
To summarize: perfect place to be and to come back.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We were on a four-day walking tour of the Val d'Orcia in Tuscany with three friends and were fortunate enough to stay at this beautiful, tastefully decorated agriturismo. Andrea and Elena were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were beautiful and the dinner and wine from their own vineyards were wonderful. We all wished we could have stayed here for all three nights, but the road called - but the same road can lead us back there and surely will. If you are in the area, stay at Pian di Meta Vecchia - you will love it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geraldine K
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently had the very good fortune to spend a week at Pian di Meta Vecchia. This farm is hidden in the middle of woods in the Orcia valley. Andrea, who runs the farm with his wife Elena, picked me up where the bus left me off: in the very beautiful town of Castiglion d’Orcia, a little wonderland of winding cobblestone streets, stone buildings, a square with a fountain, a museum, only open on weekend afternoons, unfortunately, and a church which was open and which turned out to contain a number of extremely interesting works of art. Add a pastry shop, an antique shop, and a couple of restaurants, and Castiglion d’Orcia would well merit a day’s visit.

Andrea’s car plunged into woods so thick I was expecting the farmhouse to be more or less buried in them; instead, the house sits on a kind of hill from which it surveys seemingly endless vistas of rolling hills and valleys, olive groves and vinyards, and not one but two castles. I was immediately treated to a tour of the grounds in the form of a hunt for wild asparagus in the company of one of the farm’s two cats; we emerged an hour later equipped with an impressive handful (for only a few of which I can claim credit) and an appetite sufficient for the risotto we were to make with them. Then it was back to the house for the first of many long chats with Andrea and Elena, charming, sophisticated and kind people who obviously love running their agriturismo.

This was the beginningof an enchanting week. Pian di Meta Vecchia is, for those who love long hikes, splendidly situated, and Andrea and Elena are extremely generous with their time, whether poring over maps and guidebooks in the evening or driving me and other guests to starting points for more far-flung hikes in the morning, or picking us up in the evening, or (most importantly) quietly slipping into our hands a package that turned out to contain a sandwich or a cake, lest hunger should strike on a long walk.

I have already mentioned the beauty of Castiglion d’Orcia; it forms a circle with the charming bath town of Bagno Vignone and San Quirico d’Orcia. A short but exciting walk north brings one to the 12th C. Romanesque monastery of Sant’Antimo where the monks sing all the offices and masses in a very simple, even austere, but pure and lovely Gregorian chant, and the neighboring town of Castelnuovo dell’Abate, with its own beautiful church. Twelve km to the west is the charming village of Sant’Angelo in Colle and twelve km to the north is the famous wine destination of Montalcino, also the home of a first-rate art musuem. But more lovely than any of these destinations are the paths that lead between them: tranquil paths winding through woods or groves, filled with the songs of birds, in which you are likely to see a hare or a deer suddenly leap across, and giving way regularly to breath-taking panoramic views.

For my fellow non-drivers: there are buses, although infrequent. It is thus possible, for example, to walk to Castelnuovo dell’Abate in the morning, enjoy a tour of the abbey, then take a bus to Montalcino, spend the day there exploring the museum and the wines and a good lunch, and then take the long, lovely hike back in the late afternoon. And, as I said, Andrea and Elena are extremely generous about driving guests to starting points in the morning or picking them up in the afternoon.

Andrea and Elena have gathered a small library of books relevant to the area: two of them quickly became my bibles for the week: a lavish guide to the art and architecture of the whole province of Siena, and a quirky and cultured companion to ten hiking trails in the immediate vicinity complete with maps so detailed that they mention every farm: highly useful when hiking in remote areas.

No matter how beautiful the day’s hike was, however, the best part was returning to Pian di Meta in the evening. On a typical evening I would return to the house to find a fire roaring in the living room and a cozy group gathered around it on the Indonesian carved-wooden benches with some sparkling white wine while enchanting fragrances drifted from the kitchen. Elena and Andrea spent years running a restaurant in Venice and are the dream conversation partners for anyone who loves cooking. My fellow guests this week were a charming Canadian couple with whom I compared notes on the hiking trails we had explored, and a young couple from Turin who ended up sharing their secrets for a perfect bagna cauda.

Now about the cooking. After months of travelling all over Italy I have had some extremely great dining, but absolutely nothing matches the superb quality, variety, generosity, and good taste of Andrea and Elena’s table. Here are a few of the things I enjoyed in the course of one week: lasagna stuffed with ricotta and fresh herbs; lasagna with cardoons; a risotto of asparagus; a risotto of artichokes; a huge platter of fish and seafood, fried and steamed; a rabbit wrapped in bacon and stuffed with nuts and sausage; a fish soup; an onion soup; chard sauteed with apples; carrots sauteed with fennel and balsamic vinegar; endive with cheese and walnuts; beef long braised with a sauce redolent of cardamom and fennel seeds and other herbs and spices; spaghetti with ricotta and tomatoes; a seafood salad fresh and with an abundance of herbs; a dense, chewy, spicy cake of nuts and fruits and chocolate—and these are only a few of the things that stand out from a week crowded with incredible meals, and all of the very highest quality. If you’re wondering about all that fish and seafood so far from the sea, Wednesdays and Fridays are the days when the fishmonger comes to Castiglion d’Orcia with a cart overflowing with the bounty of the sea; I accompanied Andrea on one of those days and it was an assortment that many beach residents would envy.

For breakfast there was a plum and walnut jam, a lemon marmalade, a fig jam, an apricot jam, and some amazing homemade croissants. But both at breakfast and dinner what almost stole the show was the bread which Elena bakes from her own natural sourdough: thick, chewy, crusty flavorful whole-wheat bread judiciously studded with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and varied by the addition of, now and then, some buckwheat flour or a bit of cornmeal. After weeks of white bread, this was too good to be true, and I savored every bite of it. It should go without saying that wine and the olive oil are also abundant and excellent.

The house itself has a modern, earthy tone, the walls covered in clay and the wooden beams painted white; solid handsome wooden tables and doors, and enormous windows that give on vast panoramic views of the surrounding countryside and admit vast amounts of glorious sunlight. There is good coffee and tea, there is always a platter of fresh fruit on hand, and the rooms and bathrooms are luxurious.

To sum up: a clean, comfortable, charming house; a ravishingly beautiful part of the world; a hiker’s paradise bedecked with castles and monasteries and fine art and good wine; excellent people and spectacular cuisine.

On my last morning Andrea took me on a walk through the woods which turned out to have a surprise destination: a cliff from which we had a breath-taking view of the Orcia river, winding emerald and turquois through the countryside far below. Then it was back into the woods for another surprise view: the house, this time from the other side of a wide pasture; it was as if I had never seen the house before. Then Elena drove me to Castiglion d’Orcia and stood with me as we waited for my bus to come. I didn’t want to leave this Paradise. As we stood talking about the various magic names that I had discovered over the course of the week: Ripa d’Orcia, San Quirico, Bagno Vignone, a guilty realisation stirred: I still had Elena’s book in my bag, the one filled with local hiking trails. I almost wished I hadn’t realised this: not because I wanted to steal the book, but because I would have liked an excuse to return. I may have one anyway: apparently Elena is planning to make a bergamot marmalade sometime soon…

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tainancastorp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castiglione D'Orcia
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclu...
#1 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
Podere Il Tigliolo
Podere Il Tigliolo
#1 of 34 in Castiglione D'Orcia
Hotel Villa del Capitano Luxury Art & Relais
Hotel Villa del Capitano Luxury ...
#1 of 9 in San Quirico d'Orcia
Agriturismo Le Case
Agriturismo Le Case
#3 of 9 in Castiglione D'Orcia

Been to Agriturismo Pian di Meta Vecchia? Share your experiences!