“Couldn't ask for a better experience”

La Cisterna nel borgo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: I do not have a URL
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Couldn't ask for a better experience”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just got home from our stay in the D' Orchia valley. We stumbled on La Cisterna when the restaurant down the hill in Rocco D'Orchia closed its kitchen early 1 night and recommended we walk a little further up the hill. Wow! were we glad they were closed. This was my 6th trip to Italy so i have a pretty good idea of what to expect and while I'm well aware its hard to find a bad meal in Tuscany, this little gem of a restaurant was truly special. In fact, so special that we went back a second night, and lets face it, there's much more to a memorable meal than just great food. That can be found all over Tuscany. La Cisterna has all the charm of a medieval Tuscan hill town, outdoor dining, and wonderful food, but its the people that make the experience truly special and the folks here couldn't make their guests feel more like la famiglia. Thanks again for making this little part of our visit so memorable. Ciao!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank John G

Austin, TX
“Worth the Trip”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We enjoyed a delightful evening here having read about the restaurant on TA. The location is a little bit of a challenge, but our drivers did a great job getting us there. Parking is also an issue in the tiny village. The atmosphere is great and the hostess is charming. Our food was some of the best we had on our 2 week trip to Italy and the house wine a favorite. I definitely recommend an evening here.

• Visited May 2014
San Diego, California
“Sunday lunch in Rocco d' Orcia”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have been staying in nearby Monticchello and a local resident recommended a meal at La Cisterna nel borgo...what great advice. The town is charming and the meal was excellent. We were there for Sunday lunch and we'd felt very lucky to have discovered this wonderful restaurant. The service was excellent and was the value. And the food! Ah, the food! It was one of our most enjoyable meals during our trip. The presentation was beautiful and the favors were deep. We are planning to return next Sunday, The house wine is excellent!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DiCalif
United States
“Wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

While traveling alone recently in Italy, I found there were occasionally places in which a single woman traveler wasn't particularly warmly embraced. (a restaurant in nearby Bagno Vignoni comes to mind, where I was sloughed off and forgotten about the entire meal). La Cisterna nel borgo was quite the opposite. I made a last-minute reservation on a night in which many restaurants weren't open, and was so glad I ended up here. The atmosphere is warm and cozy, the woman who took my reservation was very friendly, and I think she was the same one who seated me and made me feel most welcome. The food was divine and the tiramisu was the best I've had anywhere (and trust me, I've had more than my share of tiramisu). Highly recommend this if you're traveilng in the beautiful Val D'Orcia area.

• Visited September 2013
Richmond, Canada
“Fabulous chef and teacher”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We took a cooking class with Marta here and learned to make an amazing seed and nut salad also fabulous stuffed red peppers...pasta from scratch...delicious sauce and over the top dessert. We were served our efforts on the patio by Marta and have to say it was the best meal we had in Tuscany. She is full of personality and made the cooking lesson for my husband and I a joy. The wine she paired the meal with was also excellent. If we ever get back to Tuscany we will for sure be visiting this restaurant for what we know will be an out of this world dining experience.

• Visited June 2013