“Old stately home full of character and oasis for us - weary travellers!”

Hotel Villa Belvedere
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were travelling by car from Florence to Volterra, when I realised I had omitted to book a hotel room for that night. Most places seemed to be full at this very late stage and it was, by now, late afternoon. I was beginning to panic! Suddenly at the side of the road we saw the sign for Restaurant and Hotel, and we drove straight in, and were luckily accommodated in a separate annexe to the hotel with private doorway to double bedroom upstairs and twin downstairs, both with en suite - perfect for the two of us with our two teenage daughters.

The rooms were, as indeed was the whole hotel, slightly shabby, but in a charming way - very clean and comfortable and the views across the Tuscany countryside from the upper bedroom were beautiful.

We had only intended to spend the night, but the pool beckoned and we ended up staying the whole day, enjoying the sunshine and the relaxed atmosphere.

I think the important factor for me at Villa Belvedere was the relaxed attitude of the friendly family who run this hotel. Nothing was a problem! Nothing was too much trouble! Although we had to leave our rooms by midday the day of departure, they were perfectly happy for us to stay at the pool for as long as we wanted. In return we took our lunch there.

Because all facilities, including good restaurant, are on site, there was no need for us - for the short stay we spent here - to have to go out and find anywhere to eat or drink.

We enjoyed our day there so much, we returned another day to spend the day at the pool, for which we each paid 5 Euros, and enjoyed the peace and quiet and comfort of their facilities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Molly190761

Reviewed May 31, 2010

My father and I had a fantastic experience and a wonderful stay at Villa Belvedere. I highly recommend it!

We sort of bumped into this hotel while driving. It looked a little bit shabby from the outside because of a huge sign saying "Menu from 10-15 euros". But it was all but that! Inside of the large gates, was a beautiful garden and a fantastic house.

We entered and were welcomed by the son of the family who immediately gave us two fantastic rooms with wonderful views. The price was unbeatable, the rooms and bathrooms were clean and breakfast was included. Out of all the hotels I've been to in Tuscany, this was definitely the best price vs. quality I've ever gotten for a hotel room. The service we got was splendid and the family was always friendly.

Once we had dumped our bags in the room, the son invited us to have a drink in the garden which was served with homemade salami and local cheese. And then what a garden! It was filled with roses and other flowers that were all blooming and perfuming the whole place. Unfortunately the pool wasn't open yet, but it certainly looked tempting to dive into. With all the paintings/fresco in the ceilings inside and this garden, one understands why King Leopold II used the house for his summer vacations!

We decided to eat at the hotel's restaurant, where the son now acted as waiter and the father was cooking. The food we were served was typical Tuscan food, absolutely delicious and all home made. The variety was so vaste that we would have needed at least 5 more dinners to try everything! The wine list had really good prices in comparison to what you normally pay for and still the quality was top. The desert (panforte) was the best one I've ever tasted in Italy and was the only thing that wasn't made by the family. It had been made by the local fabric next door. The next morning, the mother was kind enough to call up the fabric of the panforte (which was around the corner) and ask if we could drop by to buy some. 15 minutes later, we came out of the fabric with 5 different types of panforte, additional free biscuits and a huge discount!

To conclude, Villa Belvedere was definitely the highlight of our Tuscan trip. It was what I had always imagined a house in Tuscany to be like, but never thought existed. It was like walking straight into a dream.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank anna499
Reviewed April 7, 2010

When we arrived at the hotel we had to wait in the garden (no grass nor flowers) for the room to be cleaned. It was strange..there was nobody around. When we finally had our room it was not at all clean, especially the bathroom. We had to stay there having already paid but I was terrified by the hotel and the hotel staff while there are plenty of nice, nicely simple but clean and hopefully better places to stay in the nearby!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cooltravelgirl
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I spent less than 24 hours and that was enough to say that they should choose another business. Close the hostel and try something that dont have people envolved.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank PintoJulian
Reviewed August 18, 2008

A large group of us travelled from the Naples area up to Siena for the Pallio and stayed at the Villa Belvedere. They accomodated our large group with multiple cots in the 2 rooms which was very helpful. There were a couple things that I thought were a tad on the chincy side, such as charging a deposit for a tv remote etc. They had a pool (that hadn't been cleaned in awhile) and a tennis court (which they also charged for usage of). I also didn't think the breakfast was worth the 7.50 Euro that we were charged for it.

On the positive side, the location was awesome! The bus to Sienna picked up and dropped off directly in front of the hotel which made it very easy to get to and from for the Pallio. The staff all spoke English decently enough to very helpful as well. All in all it is a decent place, but like others have said it could be upgraded in some areas and be excellent.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ncsujuri
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere because we needed somewhere within striking distance of Pisa airport before we flew home. It is extremely convenient for the main Sienna-Firenze highway, being almost at the south junction of the main highway at Colle di Val d'Elsa, so I should not have been so suprised to find that its nearest neighbours were more industrial than buildings of ancient Tuscan origin.

The owner/waiter/barman/sweeper up after the pigeons speaks English, has a good sense of humour and and made us very welcome. I would describe the hotel as 'quirky'. It's seen better days and the Internet pictures are very flattering. I like staying in old places full of character so I loved the high rooms, antique furniture, painted ceilings and wide marble staircase. The pool was excellent in hot weather. Yes it would benefit from having a full time gardener/
handyman and tablecloths on the white plastic outside dining tables would make them much more inviting. The food was good, if not wildly exciting, and when we asked how to make a dish we were presented with a copy of the small recipe book they give out to those signing up for their cookery courses. I will try some of the dishes, although I think the ox spleen may be difficult to source.

Maybe next time I would not have the quick breakfast before we dashed off to the airport as for three of us it was 45 euros. But that's my fault for not realising that the room rate did not include breakfast

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunsunsun03
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Please stay here only if you're a student on a budget or an adult traveling on the cheap to experience a more bohemian lifestyle.

The property is filthy, smells like mold and the cooking school is a joke. Definitely not for serious travelers that want to enjoy the beauty of Italy up close and personal.

I am willing to be contact by you so i can share my personal experience, my detailed letter to the hotel of why i was so disappointed with them and some photos.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business