“Tuscan adventure” 2 of 5 stars

Casanova Hotel Residence
Norfolk
“Tuscan adventure”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a week with Page & Moy from 4th October on their Taste of Tuscany holiday.
The one saving grace was that we specified a room upgrade when booking, finishing up with probably the best room in the hotel, south facing looking over the rolling hills with a large balcony to sit on and take in the sunshine and views.
Looking in at some of the others as we passed they appeared cramped, dingy and with no views.
The hotel has no restaurant, apart from a breakfast room, so meals have to be taken at the adjacent restaurant 50 yards away.
The breakfast is very plain and simple, tinned fruit, youghurt, rolls, croissants etc. OK but nothing to get excited over.
The adjacent restaurant again was very simple and basic. same starters every night followed by a pasta dish and then a meat course (but with no veg. or potatoes!!) followed by sweet.
The worst thing about the hotel was the bar prices, 4 euro 50cents for a 330ml bottle of beer that you could get at the local shop for 1 euro 15 cents for a 660ml bottle!
Also there was no English TV channel available, only CNN, and no internet availability unless you had brought your own laptop!!
I suppose at a place like this you are held to ransome as there is very little competition but we would be hard pressed to return, a pity as it could have been so much better

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I've stayed here a quite a few times since 1996 since when the hotel has grown a lot, and is now a sprawl of rooms at varying standards and prices clustered near a pool and other leisure/wellness facilities. I've always found it a perfectly satisfactory base and its good to start my days by photographing the Tuscany mists from the grounds of my hotel- something which possibly can't be done so well elsewhere. The breakfast buffet is satisfactory and has certainly improved over the years. I recall that some of the older rooms are fitted with very small showers to the extent that dropping the soap is an issue! The hotel is popular with photographic groups - for obvious reasons- and these are often critical of the "in -house " restaurant next door. My personal experience is that eating a la carte makes a big difference and I tend to alternate between the convenience of this and a couple of places in Pienza (9km).

For what is now quite a large hotel I can't understand why the bar is so often empty ( and unstaffed) and in truth the main building is a pretty quiet place at night when I've been there- largely in April/May.

But for me I come to the Casanova because of where it is , at least as much as for what it is. Getting around the "Crete" is easier from this base than from any other of similar quality IMO. I'm sure I'll go back.

• Stayed May 2008
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

I was ambivilant about "spilling the beans" on a gem of a hotel as I didn't was to spread the word for fear I'd never get a reservation but decided to give something back to this website as I've gotten so much myself. I was part of a photo tour that used the hotel as a base of operations for 1 week in mid May.The most outstanding feature of our stay was the location of the somewhat plainly built and decorated units. It is the heart of Tuscany, within walking distance of the walled village of San Quirico d'Orcia. When we arried we realized we were not the only tour group there who found the hotel. Others realized its value (financially as well as geographically) too. Altough there were three tours staying, (two photo tours and a watercolor group) you never felt cramped as folks were busy doing there thing outside and never in your way. You are minutes away from other georgous, medieval villages and cities. There are landscapes within walking distance that appear regularly on commercial postcards and posters. Breathtaking. The staff who were multilingual, was friendly, helpful and eager to assist. I was especially pleased when the night manager realized many of our group members were out to shoot landscapes at 4:30 or 5:00 (AM) and asked us if we would like coffee to be served before we went on our way! The breakfasts, served European buffet style, sufficed. There is an upscale restaurant on the premises (I didn't have a meal there opting instead to dine at various very good outdoor cafes and restaurants in the village of San Quirico d.Orcia). Others in my group gave the onsite dining very mixed reviews, all agreed it was expensive. The outdoor pool is another advantage. It overlooks wonderful scenes, is very well maintained and very inviting. The guests at the time of my stay were from Britian and the continent , our group rounding out with Americans. All were respectful of each other so I will be happy to bring my family next time. The hotel also boasts of a Wellness Center with indoor pool and spa, but I never saw it in use during my stay. Perhaps it was off season? I will be returning next year and plan on making my reservation now.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007
DUDLEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Wonderful location right next to a medieval walled village although it may be a little quiet for some. Nightlife revolves around dinner in the hotel or preferably at a restaurant in the village. The menu in the hotel is very limited although breakfast is quite adequate. Rooms are to a high standard especially the superior rooms. A car is an absolute must for those not on an escorted tour.

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — DINNER MENU
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYTRAM
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Quirico d'Orcia
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclu...
#1 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
#1 of 3 in Castiglione D'Orcia
4.5 of 5 stars 202 reviews
Hotel Residence San Gregorio
Il Chiostro di Pienza

Been to Casanova Hotel Residence? Share your experiences!