My husband and I traveled around Tuscany from June 20 – 28, 2014. Palazzo del Capitano was our second stop.
Stay: Nights of June 23, 24, and 25, 2014
My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel.
Staff: Professional, helpful, friendly, and there was always someone at the front desk who could speak English.
Room: We stayed in the Capricorno room, which was palatial by European standards. I really loved this room. It was approximately 30 feet long by 19 feet wide and the decoration was beyond elegant. The room was very quiet, which is always important to me, because I have super hearing like a bat. Also, they had shutters you could close to block out the light if you wanted to sleep late.
Bathroom: Powerful hair dryer, toilet, bidet, no tub, but the shower is large enough for a big, tall, husky guy. The water pressure was great--the ancient Roman aqueduct builders would have been proud.
Grounds: A stunning garden with plenty of chairs and tables for sitting and lounging around! This garden was arranged in such a way as to provide little nooks of privacy. I wish I had a garden like this at home.
Breakfast: They had a nice spread; a good selection of pastries, cereals, egg dishes, cheeses, etc.; good cappuccino. The breakfast room was quaintly decorated and provided a pleasant eating experience.
Dinner: Somehow, instead of just booking the room, I booked a package deal online. Not exactly sure how I did it, but everything turned out well. Dinner actually came with the package. We ate in the same restaurant every night: Trattoria al Vecchio Forno. The restaurant was stunning. The area where we ate was open to the sky and decorated with lots of beautiful plants. The service was very good, and the food was good. They had a menu with several courses that went along with the hotel package, but you could veer from it and just pay the difference if needed, so don’t be afraid to ask for more choices. I don’t recommend the pan-seared duck, but the pasta with duck sauce was good.
Spa: That was actually part of my package too: two facials and two body rubs. It was relaxing.
Location: Right in the heart of San Quirico d’Orcia. We were able to walk all over town from the hotel. Also, from here we took day trips to Montalcino and Siena.
TIP: If you do take a side trip to Siena, go very early. We got there around 10:00AM and literally drove around for one hour looking for parking. We finally parked in the suburbs and caught a local bus. Thank heaven my husband was born with a GPS chip in his head, because without him I would never have made it back to where we parked the rental car. Siena was crazy crowded!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CAPITANO LUXURY HOTEL COLLECTION A brand that for over than 20 years has expressed romanticism, wellness and a great passion for hospitality in Tuscany, gives you a warm welcome in the ancient village of San Quirico d'Orcia in the heart of the Val d'Orcia, declared in the year 2004 World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Breathtaking landscapes, historical towns and the worldwide most famous vineyards world and ... our Hotel Collection: Palazzo del Capitano Wellness&Relais,Historical Mansion of the XIV century Charming Mansion with furnishing that are inspired by the Tuscan tradition, where the modern comfort is perfectly integrated with the charm of the old one. Villa del Capitano Art&Relais, Neoclassical Villa Elegant Mansion located on the main street of San Quirico d'Orcia close to the Ancient Medieval Walls. The bright Suites will surprise you with lovely views of the Val d'Orcia and with its Made in Italy design masterpieces Capitano's Dwellings - Widespread Hotel The pretty double rooms with private bathroom in typical Tuscan style are dislocated in different buildings in the Historic Centre of San Quirico d'Orcia to let you enjoy your holiday as a guest of the village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Palazzo Del Capitano Exclusive Wellness And Relais
- Palazzo Del Capitano Hotel
- Hotel Palazzo Del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais San Quirico D'Orcia, Italy - Tuscany