“Rooms were cold”

and 1 more site!
Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bridge Hotel as part of a group. The hotel is beautifully situated and the views are fantastic. Our Muddy Boots offer was great value - for what we got. Note though for other guests - several of our party were in cold damp rooms no 19 specific to this. The food in the bar was good but the restaurant food was served luke warm. The restaurant was full of our party and it was like being taken into a childrens dinning room. We were informed by Steven that we had to meet in the lounge and then be seated in small groups by him. We felt like we were at school and he was the head teacher! It was a laugh at FIRST! Not until everyone was seated did the meals get served. This resulted in LUKE warm food especially the main meal. The hotel appeared to be making up for the reduced financial offer by limiting the heating and staff. There were only two waitress's serving and they had to serve drinks from the bar as well.
The breakfast service was the same.
I do not think with the insufficient staff in attendance and what appears to be corners cut in other areas, that it rates the hotel as high as it could be - shame.

Room Tip: Note the deal offers
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My first visit to The Bridge Hotel was in 2011 when my son and I spent a wet April weekend, arriving on Friday and leaving on Sunday. We had a lovely twin room at the front of the hotel with breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant. It was a thoroughly relaxing and civilised break and the staff were excellent and very thoughtful. We were both excited about bringing my wife and other son up at some stage.
The second visit in August 2013 was a very different experience: Coming back from a wedding in the north of Scotland I thought we'd have a bit of a treat at The Bridge Hotel. I booked two rooms well in advance and explained that we'd want to eat in the smarter main restaurant which, I was assured would be fine. When we arrived we were quickly told that the main restaurant would be closed but that we could eat in the pub - not what we'd anticipated at all and a HUGE disappointment. Because I had booked and left a deposit for Dinner Bed & Breakfast I then had to ask for the dinner allowance to be transferred to the bar for our supper. There was no remorse that they'd let us down; we were just expected to accept it.
It is therefore with mixed feelings that I write this review. Having had one wonderful experience where two of us were beautifully looked after; then, as a family of four (and quite civilised at that) we were not well looked after and left feeling a huge sense of disappointment having driven well away from our route home to go to the hotel for a treat.
Unless an olive branch can be held out to make up for that last visit, I doubt any of us will be back.

Room Tip: Try if possible to book rooms in the main part of the hotel, i.e. the front. Make sure you have a ca...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A huge thank you to Steven, Attila, Ray and the team for making our stay so comfortable and enjoyable. We booked the "Muddy Boots" offer for a four night walking holiday. We were warmly welcomed by Steven and Attila and went straight to the bar for a pint and dinner. The food was excellent and well presented with a good choice, the portions were also on the generous side which was perfect for hungry walkers. We later retired to the residents lounge to sit around the log fire before retiring to bed. The breakfast was excellent and superbly cooked. The service and attention from the team really made our stay extra special. I would have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful hotel which is situated in one of the quieter and scenic areas of the lake district.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank David A
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear DavidA
Thank you for taking some time to make a review of your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. Your kind words are greatly appreciated and I will ensure the team all get to see the review.
It was a pleasure being able to welcome you and I am delighted that you appear to be very happy with all aspects of your time with us.
We truly feel the "Muddy boots" promotion is exceptional value for money - the service and welcomes are standard practice and I am very proud of the efforts the team puts in to achieve this.
We look forward to being able to welcome you and the group another time. Until then Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
Steven and Crew

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having visited the Lakes many times before this was definitely the worst experience ever.
The public areas are cold except for a short while in the evening in the resident's lounge. The pub is not as cosy as you would hope in the winter and is lacking in atmosphere. Virtually no one eats there. I had the fish pie in the bar on the first night which had hardly any fish in it and consisted mainly of potato and cheese. On the second night I ate in the restaurant. Again the restaurant could have been a lot warmer. I told the manager,who was doubling up as a waiter, that I did not eat meat though was happy with the fish option. When the salmon arrived the vegetables were wrapped in ham. The food wasn't particularly warm. The pastry on the treacle tart was very hard. Including me there were only 3 people dining in the restaurant. The restaurant was definitely on the cool side and not conducive to a relaxing dinner. It was all very Faulty Towers without the humour. Even a gin and slimline came as gin and ordinary tonic. The poached eggs in the morning were not very warm. I was in the self catering accommodation which at least had a tv as a night in the pub would have been dreadful. There was NO HOT WATER. I ended up with a cold shower. The manager got a plumber in for the second night and I had one hot shower. There was no hot water in the morning again and I had another cold shower. Despite this the only deduction from a bill of £277 was £22. For this reason beware of the Muddy Boots promotion as the hotel takes the full amount up front and refuses to provide suitable reimbursement when things go wrong. On arrival the accommodation was very cold. It didn't heat up despite the heating supposed to be on "moderate." When I asked the manager to assist he tried and failed then said I would have to wait until 7pm for the director to turn up. He took offence when I said I would endure it until then and told me it was not a matter of endurance. It was so cold my fingers were numb. The room temperature was eventually fixed but not without a lot of stress. The fridge in the apartment had a bad smell. I had to wash the glass and the mug I used. There are far better places to stay in the area and this week I had a lovely stay in the Scafell Hotel in Rosthwaite.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 2L_M
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear 2L_M

I am very sorry that your trip to The Bridge Hotel was not an enjoyable one.

I do believe that your review and opinion of us was a little tainted from the outset and this can set ones experience and enjoyment.

Your impression of us may have been predetermined due to the fact your reservation; although previously moved to an alternate date to accommodate a differing party size from that originally booked, could not be refunded. As you are aware, our muddy boots promotion is proving to be extremely popular by testimony from the other 350 + people that have also enjoyed this promotion and who found it extremely good value for money.

It is a shame that you feel unable to come and enjoy the complimentary dinners we have already offered you as this would give us the opportunity of showing you just how enjoyable a stay at The Bridge Hotel can be!

I sincerely wish you all the best.

Steven

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed several nights at the Bridge back in October. Our first night was one of the best we have had in along time. We had our meal in the restaurant and the lights went out, my wife thought it was planned as it was Halloween but the area we found out later had had a power cut. A waitress named Sharon served us in the restaurant and then made a theme out of the power cut by placing tea lights around the room and in the lounge and reception area. She created a fantastic atmosphere and all the guests went into the lounge and sat together and chatted. We both enjoyed the evening so much and a big thank you to the chef. Even though there were no ovens working he provided an excellent warm meal with very little difference from what we both originally ordered. Sharon at our request brought him to meet us and everyone applauded his efforts.
We would highly recommend this hotel to any of our friends - well done

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear StartW,
Thank you for a very impressive and kind review of your recent stay at The Bridge Hotel, I am delighted that your time, although without power was an enjoyable one.

I did make sure to draw Sharon s attention to your very kind words, we do strive to ensure there is minimal disruption to our guests stay during adverse times and I am pleased you feel this actually added a little ambiance and that you were able to appreciate her efforts.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven and team

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I have just come back from a three night stay taking advantage of their 'Muddy Boots' promotion. What value! A terrific, spacious room (22) great food in the bar, real ale and superb, friendly service. You really get the feeling that those who work at the hotel want to do everything in their power to make your stay enjoyable. Set in a beautiful area with lots of good walking, it really is the ideal place to 'de-stress'. It is 12 years since we last stayed at the Bridge Hotel but it won't be as long before we stay again. Can recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear John N

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. It really was a pleasure looking after you and I thank you for your very kind words.

We are delighted that you found the promotion to be excellent value and the food served to you of good quality. We tailor the bar food to walkers coming down from the fells so we keep portion size big and as we home cook everything we are sure the quality is always appealing.

It would be good to be able to welcome you back sometime before the promotion ends in April.

Steven and team

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Recently spent three days close to Buttermere but unfortunately were unable to stay at the Bridge Hotel because it was fully booked. so cannot comment on the rooms. However, we had all of our meals at the Bridge, mostly in the pub but stretched to the hotel restaurant for our final night to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Thoroughly enjoyed every meal (particularly the fish pie) and my husband particularly enjoyed your Dark Knight beer. Staff were all very helpful and friendly, and we particularly enjoyed Attila's great sense of humour! We will definitely try and stay in the hotel on our next visit to the Lake District.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear AlisonandjohnL,

Thank you for the time taken to make such a positive review of your time with us at the Bridge, I am only very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you in the bedrooms - As you say, another time!

Atilla will be delighted that you enjoyed his humor, he is quite something and I love having him around. The team all work very hard so I am happy you made the best of these efforts.

We all look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future do make use of out Muddy boots offers which are selling like hot cakes, very good value for money with the same great services and food!

Yours Sincerely

Steven, Atilla, Ray and the rest of the Crew.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Derwentwater Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!