“Got yell at by waiter”

Cuisines: German, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Terrible experience. First time ever I was actually yell at by a waiter. He is short and chubby, white hair with small round glasses. I think his name starts with D.

He was upset at the table adjustment we have to made as he said we were taking up too much space. We asked another waitress if it was possible to move to a bigger table. When he found out, he accused us of moving without his knowledge.

Further discussion turned into an arguement where he go on to tell us to shut up or leave. We notified another waitress that if we are simply going to be yell at and not welcome into this restaurant, we will leave. I also make sure that they realize that I will not pay for the food as it just arrived when he starting yelling at us telling us to leave. I did not even have time start my food not to mention of finishing it.

He then came back telling us with a strong voice that he did not tell us to leave and we should pay for our food. At this point it is pointless to argue further. I simply asked him to leave us alone and please don't come near my table as I do not want to hear another word from him.

Simply brutal experience. If you are into paying money to be yell at by someone, I would recommend this place.

5  Thank Astrofood

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We have been to this restaurant numerous times but tonight is our worst experience EVER! I have never been treated worse by restaurant staff and I have been to restaurants all over the world! We came with our baby and a male server (heavy-set man with glasses) told us that we don't have room for the baby. We asked to switch tables by was denied, until we spoke to another server and we got a new table. Minutes later the man came back and asked why did we switch tables. We explained we didn't have enough space and he told us that we cannot switch tables. We complained and said that our baby ordered a meal also and should be treated equally as a customer. He then told us to move back to our original table but we refused, he then told us to shut up, quickly finish eating, and then leave the restaurant.

Why should anyone take this kind of abuse? And yes, we did pay for our meal! Needless to say, we will NEVER return and will tell all our friends an family the same,.

5  Thank SeattleDrugDealer
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Trip Advisor average ratings for this restaurant (I can't comment on the hotel rooms) were really bad but we said we'd stop by (unlike a one-week all-inclusive vacation, you can just quickly leave for a different destination if you dislike it).
This is a good family/German restaurant, a rather simple menu but with what we wanted to try (pork hock and pig tail this time, maybe to visit it again for a schnitzel). The food is good, the prices are rather on the low side, and the brown beer (not sure if brewed on site) is also good.
At least on Saturdays it seems to be quite popular: 95% full at 2:30 PM, and most of the customers at the time were Asians (and not a bus group).

2  Thank Calin N
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I've been going to the Heidelberg House since my father and mother used to take me as a child. If you're looking for an upscale dining experience you'll not find it here however if you're looking for good-old, heavenly comfort food and country dining then this is the place. I've never written an on-line restaurant review before but I am so against the previous reviews that I felt it necessary. I took my family there last week and, as I've been doing for decades, I ordered the pig's tails w/ mash potatoes and sauerkraut. There is nothing better than a meal that instantaneously transports you back to your grandmother's table, eating food that is so familiar to you but that you seldom get a chance to enjoy. As my mother and wife said they were quite fatty however, they are PIG'S TAILS, if you don't expect some fattiness you haven't given a thought of what you just ordered. My kids ordered the schnitzel and I enjoyed that as well after being allowed to try it.

People if you want fish and chips go to a fish & chip house, but if you want really good country food this is the place to go. Not to mention some very good in-house brewed beer.

Thank you Heidelberg Tavern, the meal was great.

2  Thank Sean P
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nothing special and not worth the long drive all the way out there. Myself and another guest had the fish 'n' chips, which tasted like a frozen, breaded piece of fish from a store-bought Highliner box of fish. It certainly was not fresh.

The side of onion rings was huge, but those too seemed as if they were frozen and store-bought, and many of them were burnt and cooked in old fryer oil.

Fries tasted frozen and/or pre-cooked.

The atmosphere was nice and what you'd expect.

It took 3 servers before one would finally take an order, because the first two would say "sure I'll take your order" then "oh! Just a second..." and wander off to another table.

In sum: stay in the city and you'll find better food with a better price and better service.

3  Thank Danny L