“Gave it a second chance but never again!”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Yorkshire
“Gave it a second chance but never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past couple weeks but never again, Fawlty Towers sprung to mind! On my first visit, my impression was of a very run down hotel, but it was clean and quiet (I think there were hardly any guests). I had an awful pizza in the bar (quite how anyone can ruin pizza is beyond me) and breakfast was average. However, as I'm working in the area and am usually loyal to the Accor Hotels Group, I thought I would give it a second try.

My second stay (last week) was a catalogue of disasters. When I initially checked in I had to queue for ages as there was only one man on reception. On being allocated my room I asked for my card to be swiped for extras (a business debit card that had been swiped the week before and at other Mecure Hotels on a weekly basis). I was told that my card couldn't be pre-authorised as there was a problem with the system and I would be charged twice! When I pointed out I regularly used the card with no problem, I was told a customer had complained and they were no longer pre-authorising debit cards and I should provide a credit card and check my bank account to ensure that I hadn't been charged twice for my previous stay. I wasn't happy about using my personal credit card rather than my business card and eventually the receptionist authorised credit for me without swiping either card. I asked about benefits for being a gold a-club member and was told I could have a welcome drink but would have to tell the receptionist when I wanted it as they didn't have any vouchers and he would need to take me to the bar.

When I got to my room, I thought I had ended up at a boarding school. My corridor was full of teenagers (obviously on a school trip), running up and down, giggling and shrieking and banging on each others doors. I couldn't believe that a hotel would allocate a room to a business traveller in the middle of a school party. After waiting for 10 minutes and realising that this was the way it was going to be on that particular corridor, I went and queued at reception again and explained that as I needed to get up for work the next morning, I would prefer a quiet room away from over-excited teenagers. The receptionist was very understanding and explained he could allocate a room on the ground floor which they normally allocated to disabled travellers. He explained that some adaptations had been done to the bathroom but the room would be quiet.

When I eventually found the room (not easy, it turns out that you have to walk through the bar to that part of the hotel), it seemed pleasant enough but when I went into the bathroom to get ready I realised there were no towels or shower gel and soap. I made another trip to reception and the man promised to sort it out with housekeeping. He then said, "let me sort out your drink" (I must have looked like I needed one by this point) and walked with me to the bar (which as stated before was the way to access my room without going outside) and told the barman to give me a free drink when I was ready (not really compensation as I was entitled to it anyway but at least he was trying to be helpful).

When I got back to the room, housekeeping brought towels and toletries. Unfortunately, I realised after I had got in the shower that they hadn't brought a bath mat so I dripped all over the floor when I got out of the shower! Good job the disabled room had non-slip tiles!

I had grilled chicken in the bar that night, and it was edible but that is all I can say about it. I didn't enjoy the meal and could have done much better myself! When I got back to the room it was a bit cold but it turned out that the radiator didn't work. I couldn't be bothered to complain again so I watched TV in my coat!

I did get a good night's sleep as the room was quiet and the bed was comfy. Luckily I didn't realise until the next morning that the bathroom bin still had rubbish in it left by a previous guest or I would have been worrying that none of the room had been cleaned!

The next morning when I went to breakfast I was given tea instead of the coffee I requested. Not really a major issue, in fact by this stage, it was about what I expected. When I checked out, the woman on reception didn't ask if I had enjoyed my stay. Good job she didn't!

I have to say that the man on reception was very helpful and apologetic and this review is a criticism of the hotel and not about him.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay it is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, please be assured that your comments will be reviewed and direct action taken to ensure no future repetition.

I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Emily Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
Stoke on trent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on Saturday for a Gilbert & Sullivan weekend....our 1st room smelt strongly of cigar smoke even though smoking is of course banned...after complaining we were assured that housekeeping would deal with it whilst we were on our canal trip. We believed this of course !
Then just prior to boarding our coach I popped to the ladies loo...& guess what..the loo wasn't fixed to the floor..I slid sideways almost hurting myself ...but did anyone apologise or ask me to complete an accident form...NO
On our return we collected our cases & went to our room...154 ...the cigar smell had not gone...but the window was open...back to reception...as the hotel was full that night we did actually contemplate giving up & going home...but eventually a room was found ...159....but guess what it had no power!!!!
So no phones worked.....back to reception I went...a staff member came up to check of course that we had no power....eventually she was able to find the trip switch & restore power to our room.
By now it was almost too late to have a shower & get to our 1st night's dinner on time...but we made it.
Sunday morning enjoying our early morning tea & listening to the radio...the power went off...same procedure to reset trip switch...reason given...the kettle in room 163 trips the power...well if that's the case sort it out ASAP !
The list of complaints from our party is endless...
But the staff are amazing, hard working & how they remain cheerful & polite amazes me.
However, the food is not amazing, it's OK...bar prices are high too.
The wifi is free. But there's only 1 small lift serving the whole hotel ...my husband is disabled so we needed to be be near the lift...which we were.
The flax to the kettle in our room had exposed wires, the security chain to the door was missing.
This tired rundown hotel needs money spending on it to modernise it now.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am very disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 004gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk so that I can discuss your feedback with you directly and ensure action is taken as necessary to make further improvements and rectify the issues you experienced.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Emily Cox

Travelers are raving about these Bingley hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

this Hotel is a fab place to stay, the rooms are spotless, the staff are excellent and the food superb.............. stayed for 2 night for family wedding and highly recommend it, I have stayed before and will certainly stay again. for the first time in a long time, even the disabled guest we had with us was totally looked after and wanted for nothing. The adapted room was perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: we stayed in the new part of the hotel, but other members were in the old part, i understand the old...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

This is like a run down golf club clubhouse. The room i had in my student halls of residence was of a better appointment

There is a prefab wing which to be honest the only thing that is missing is rigsby or bazil faulty

The room honks of smoke also. Given its position to staff stairs i think it is used as a staff room prior to check in

• Stayed May 2014
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. It is disappointing that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured that your feedback contained in this review has been discussed in full with the team and direct action has been taken to ensure no future reccurance.

I can only apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and hope that you will consider returning in the future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

cambs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

stayed for one night in a family room on a wedding visit after a disaster at the Victoria hotel .
wish I had stayed for 3 nights ,room spacious and clean and warm.
breakfast superb .staff brilliant
don't go anywhere else
enough said

Room Tip: if there is 4 book the family room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gr123travel
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will share your feedback with the team, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Booked this hotel as we were travelling to Bradford for a funeral. When we arrived at 6pm and booked in the female receptionist found it hard to stop chatting to the housemaid to speak with us. When she did book us in we did ask about booking a time for dinner for this to be dismissed as we would have to eat in the bar as they had too many coach trips and others in. I would ask the management at this hotel to seriously consider a customer care course for this person as eye contact, smile, interaction were missing entirely.

On arrival in our room we found we were short of a towel and there were no biscuits or fresh water as advertised in the hotel's web page.

We went to the restaurant around 7pm and it was busy with a coach tour party and we were advised we were required to eat in the bar. The bar was very busy with no seats available due to guests for a Charity Ball being held that night congregating in the bar for pre-function drinks. We returned to the restaurant and were again told they could not be accommodate, whereby we basically refused to leave as we had paid for dinner in the restaurant and it was no fault of ours that there were coach parties in. At no time in the booking process were we made aware of the fact that the hotel was too busy to accommodate us in the restaurant. The restaurant receptionist dismissed us saying "you should have been told"

Due to refusal to leave and asking to speak with the duty manager, who never appeared, we were shown to a table in a side section and nine other guests eventually joined us. The food had to be returned as steaks and trimmings were cold but chips were warm. Sadly when the second attempt arrived they were hot but had obviously been " quickly prepared" and looked over-cooked, not how we expected a £22 steak to look, but by then we had given up caring and merely wanted some food. I have to say that the young people staffing the restaurant worked well for their money. Meanwhile the sullen receptionist hovered and scowled even in the restaurant and entrance.

The bed was comfortable and there was no noise from the function. Breakfast was enjoyable with a good selection in the buffet section and excellent choice for hot food made to order, however we and others nearby had to ask a passing member of staff for coffee and tea as no one approached the table to enquire of our needs.

Checkout was a totally different experience and the gentleman that carried out this function should be given the task of training the previous female - she was dire and that is being kind. She neither looks the part or acts it and is doing the hotel no favours at all.

The young waitresses in the restaurant, Naz and her colleagues were excellent. The male checkout receptionist has great customer skills but there the experience ends. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lwl_11

durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed for 1 night at the Bankfield Hotel when my cousin got married on 12/04/14.
There was loads of parking available and the room was great. I had booked a twin room, however I was given a family room at no extra charge. The facilities were good and the beds were comfy.
The check in was very easy and we had free wi-fi throughout the hotel. There was plenty to choose from at breakfast from cereal to a full english and it was all very good.
The staff were all very helpful. I would visit again no problem.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Emily Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#1 of 2 in Shipley
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!