“Lovely stay in Bingley after a year in london”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel before and was looking forward to my stay purely as my previous stay was memorable. The drive once you enter the hotel is so serene and well looke after. My room was very comfortable and I stayed in room 252. I didn't go to the restaurant as I arrived at 10pm but I did order a steak at 1030pm. Although the kitchen was closer the manager took my order for steak and I was delighted. Any other place would have asked me to eat a frozen curry. This hotel has been providing great service for a Decades. Keep it up!

• Stayed: February 2013
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your continued support, review and I am delighted that you have visited us again ! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Staff were very pleasant and friendly and made us feel welcome

Location was ideal for us as just a few miles from a wedding we went to in Esholt.

The only thing we were dissapointed with was the showers as they were very hot and could not be adjusted to make them cooler.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garyb100

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your continued support and review! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here on a Daily Mail offer of £250 B&B for four nights, to include dinner on two nights, which seemed good value especially since we had our young son with us. The location was good for us and the hotel quiet at night. Ernest was very friendly and helped us to our room with our bags. The break was OK for what we paid but the full rate of £89/night excl. breakfast advertised in reception would have been overpriced! We had a few issues as follows.

The radiator in our room (#236) was cold for most part and obviously needed bleeding. The receptionist promised this would be attended to the following day, but it never happened. They did provide a convector heater though which helped in the cold weather.

The room was not cleaned on one day and I had to ask reception for a supply of tea and milk.

Dinner was not bad but overpriced. The cottage pie contained more peas than meat and we've had better at Sainsburys, and the rhubarb creme brulee was a ridiculously small size...not much bigger than a £2 coin and the "handmade" shortbread looked like it was handmade by Crawfords! No Belgian chocolate either with the hot chocolate as on the menu, and the waitress said they didn't have any as it was a new menu?!

Breakfast would appear to be buffet style (alwys told it was this way by the waiting staff) but on our last morning we found a breakfast menu hidden away (none were on any of the tables), which also offered fish, porridge etc as special orders from the kitchen. I think they are reluctant to publicise this as it means more work for the staff. I raised this at reception and was told menus should be on the table and was promised that if I stayed again they will be there. We will see...

So, overall a 2 or 3 out of 5 for me.

Room Tip: The main function room in the old building gets noisy when they have a wedding party, so a room as f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Oxford_lad
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. We would sincerely like to apologise for the issues you encountered. We would like to discuss this with you in further detail and would kindly ask that you call my Reception Manager Laura Burchill who will investigate these issues thoroughly on my behalf. My sincere thanks again for your review and I look forward to recieving feedback from Laura.

Kind Regards

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had personal business in Leeds and wanted somewhere quiet yet not too far from Leeds/Bradford Airport where we hired a car. Without an AA route planner, finding the hotel would have been a challenge - but we having found it realised that it was well positioned for exploring Skipton, Saltaire and it wasn't far from Ilkley, and of course close to Bradford and not far from Leeds. On the cold night we arrived we were warmly greeted and our room was lovely and warm as well. We had booked what is called a 'superior' room and it came with a cute little two seater settee, perfect for watching some early evening TV. The enormous double bed had a mattress topper and really good pillows so had two good nights sleep. We decided to eat our evening meal in the bar that night which offers their brasserie menu. We both had fillet steak which cooked to perfection and chose some red wine from their list. Two members of staff were standing in for colleagues who were attending another event. They were from other Mercure hotels and their warmth of hospitality was excellent. We also chose to eat there again on our second night and had chicken tikka, and again were well satisfied.
We had chosen a rate that included breakfast. Breakfast would normally cost £10 each. For this there is a buffet which offers juices, cereals, and fresh fruit. There is also a hot buffet of fried eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans and a toaster. There are also French viennoiseries for those who like something sweet at breakfast time. Coffee came hot and we were offered more during our breakfast. I think that breakfast is a hard meal for hotels to cope with and I was pleased to find hot food available on such a cold morning. I could have wished for fresher fried eggs on my second morning - but as I've had vast experience of hotel life - I still prefer fried eggs being available than scrambled!
For us the stay worked well and we felt that the original building lent it character and that the wing we were in was well protected from external noises.
My first time in a Mercure - but I've joined the Accor Hotels loyalty network, so I will look forward to more stays in Mercure and other Accor hotels.

Room Tip: It could be helpful to choose a superior room and our room overlooked trees at the back of the hotel...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarB524
GM M, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here to attend a wedding off site. Returned at midnight to find that our room hadn't been cleaned or the bed made. The whole hotel appears tired and in need of refurbishment. The bed in our room was well past its sell by date. The staff were unhelpful and the breakfast poor quality. They charge for wifi in the room however I was informed that if I was lucky enough to get a room near reception I could have used the public wifi for free! The bar staff were clueless and appeared never to have worked in a bar. Never again!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rosie P
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your valued review. We would sincerely like to apologise for the issues you encountered and I would like to assure you that we have looked into the areas you have highlighted and taken action. I do hope that you would consider visiting us again when you are in Bingley as I can assure you your enjoyment will be a priority to us, as all guests are.

Regards

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

This was only £40 and it was in Bradford so didn't have high expectations. But was very pleasantly surprised. Staff very pleasant, interesting old gothic hall with modern (well, 70s/80s) extensions to form hotel. The main body of the old building is a charming place to be, creaky, wooden and with a lovely vaulted ceiling.

Our room was a very good size an the hotel was quiet and comfortable. Only criticism might be that the bathroom seemed to have no heating.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

One night stay at the weekend. Brilliant room with lots of facilities and it was cool in temperature thank goodness. Hotel well back from the main road so very peaceful. The buffet style breakfast was in a lovely room with large windows looking over the front grounds. Not seated too close to other guests. Staff were cheerful and friendly. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Emily Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#5 of 27 in Bradford
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!