“Great find and good food”

Five Rise Locks Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 57 Restaurants in Bingley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find and good food”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Tucked away up the hill from Bingley town Centre this is well worth a visit. We only ate there and it was very good. It looks very residentail from the outside but we took a chance after the good reviews here. It's a small hotel restaurant overlooking the gardens at the rear but seemed very popular with non residents including couples and parties of locals out for a good meal, even on a week night. The owners and family seem to be pretty hands on and the service was excellent. The choice, presentation and quality of food was very good and more than matched the good comments we had read. TheTaxi driver from the hotel near shipley did not know where this was but we had luckily printed off the address, so maybe worth doing the same. Limited parking if you drive yourself. Our hotel was very bad, so if we go back to the area, we'll probably stay there as well as eat.

Visited June 2012

Bradford
“Great experience!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I visited on June 12th. Very nice welcome. A good menu, not too long so was easy to order. Great service, great food, wish i got the 'Assiette of Desserts' like my girlfriend. They looked amazing!

Would definitely recommend and visit again.

Bingley, United Kingdom
“If you love beef....you will love it”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Last time I went to The Locks was in 2004 and it was good. But what a difference and 8 years make. New owners new decor and great food. We were there for my nephews 21st birthday so all the family with us and did not hear a bad word. The beef was cooked just right ( a bit pink ) and the cut excellent. The best was yet to come with a trio of puddings the preferred choice of nearly everyone. My Niece said it tasted like Jesus had made it, now that's a compliment. Really friendly service and a nice location. Will not have to wait for a family occasion will be back very soon.

Leeds
“Great, but ...”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I dined here 2nd June.

First the easy bit - the meal.

I had the signature dishes of scallops with chorizo and then venison. I finished with crime brûlée. My wife had asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon followed by mignonette of fillet steak. She finished with bakewell tart.

The staters and sweets were perfect. But there were a couple of problems with the main courses. My venison was excellent and cooked to perfection, but it came with a sort of pickled red cabbage side. That was excellent in itself, but not really good with the venison. It is difficult to create something with a taste so strong that it overwhelms venison, but this did. The other veg was braised beetroot which was bland, or seemed bland against the cabbage! The two red veg made for an odd looking plate.

The real problem was the fillet steak. I was told that the version would be served pink, which was fine. No-one asked how my wife wanted the fillet and it came thoroughly cooked right through. It was obviously excellent before it was cremated. Such a shame.

The host and hostess were pleasant and efficient. We were told on arrival that there was a special offer of one free main course for each one bought. As a result we spent £55 (including tip) which was good value for money. If we had had to pay £17 more for the steak it would not have been.

The house wine was great - a nice Sangiovese for a bargain £14.50. I think you would need to go a long way up the wine list to improve on it.

The difficult bit? The atmosphere. The restaurant is obviously recently decorated, painted a deep textured burgundy up to the dado rail and magnolia above. The furniture is good quality and the white table linen crisp and fresh. But somehow it seems soul-less. The building feels as though it would prefer to still be a house, the restaurant has an almost cafe like feel. There is no sense of intimacy. We never quite relaxed.

It is difficult to describe what is "wrong" with the ambience. But at the end of the day, we both finished with the feeling that really there was nothing wrong at all - but there was something indefinable which was not quite right!

Don't let this review put you off if you are tempted. The food is worth the trip and is reasonably priced - especially when one of their many offers is available. The atmosphere you can judge for yourself - and perhaps report whatever it is that we missed!

Bingley, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Sunday dinner for two, lovely food, people and service. we had a nice experience the owners are great and made my partner (gluten free diner) a fruit desert which was not on the set menu at no extra cost. We are in the process of looking for a wedding venue this could be the one!!! worth checking out for sure if not just for a new and very nice to dine. top marks from us.

• Visited March 2012