“No value for money!!!”

Messinian Bay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Kalamata
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with my wife as we had a wedding to attend to and the travel agents had booked the hotel for us.

Unfortunately, the first impressions weren’t very good from the minute I stepped in.

The parking was constantly packed, forcing us to park in a second parking lot about 300 meters from the entrance of the hotel, but only if we were lucky to find a spot. Upon arrival, as my wife had already checked in earlier that day, they went ahead and issued a 2nd magnetic key for myself and handed it over to me. The receptionist didn’t even bother explaining where the room is located, so I won’t even complain about not getting some help carrying the luggage, suits, etc. to my room.

Located at the basement, in the end of a long corridor with another 6 – 8 rooms neighboring it, all of them located next to each othe, the corridor floor was covered with a cheap carpet that reeked and could only make you anticipate reaching your room in hope of some fresh air.

Entering the room on the far end of the corridor, I think it would be safe to say that it could be even worse than the corridor. The room seemed as if it was shut for ages (although fairly clean) and as if there were some forgotten sneakers somewhere inside. (I even tried searching for the source). No balcony, fair view, empty mini bar, no glasses, the list could go on. The bathroom was fairly sized, and the water was very decent, although there was an exposed socket that had managed to get detached from the wall next to the shower, which I feel was quite dangerous. I left it as is in order to see if anyone would bother repairing it or sticking it back to its place, but it remained as I found it upon our departure.

Our friends that were staying in the room next door, and other rooms in the hotel also had issues with the smell in the rooms, the service, not to mention that we could have an open discussion with closed doors and we could hear everything perfectly. At least we saved some money on telephone bills when arranging at what time we should meet at the lobby. ;-)

Apparently, the hotel was refurbished, but that was only a small attempt to disguise the serious issues the hotel has. I believe the owners probably want to make some changes, but wouldn’t know where to start from. I’d start from the pricing and the get rid of that disgusting carpet. Although a lot of the exterior furniture was new, along with the lights, floors, tables, etc. the pool area still had the old umbrellas, and the service at the restaurant by the pool was terribly slow and of very low quality. It would take at least 35 minutes to get a plate of scrambled eggs, 10 minutes for a drink, and another 15 to get attended by the waiter, and all that with only a few guests seated. I would hate to see what would happen if it was packed. Unfortunately, no staff was available towards the late hours to fix you a drink at the lovely veranda available by the reception in order to enjoy the view.

No value for money whatsoever. All our friends and/or family that happened to stay at the hotel because of the venue we had to attend to also agreed with all of the above. The smell in the rooms, (no) quality of service, etc.

Thanks for taking some time to read my review.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank AlexiusGR

Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights with a family of four in the heart of the summer. Staff was extremely helpfull and even though there were diners for hundreds of people both evenings the managed to make an execellent diner en give us all the attention as if we were the sole visitors. Two pools,and the sea gives you of wide choice where to swim. Since it has "only" 74 rooms it's never crowded ans there's always plenty of room to sit or take an sunbed. But the unique selling point is indeed the view. From your room, from the restaurant, or the excellent lounge bar at the second pool: the view of messinian bay and kalamta (especially at sundown) is unbeatable. One of the other reviewers wondered wether the greek habbit of rising prices during summer to a sky high level would go for this hotel as well. No it doen't. In the email excange we agrreed a price of 90 euro a room including breakfast. Considering what you get it's cheap.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Hoite
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed here for a week towards the end of June.
The views from the hotel are great with the mountains behind and the sea in front - all rooms have sea views. Kalamata is a short taxi ride away (approx 8 euro) and there is a restaurant and 2 beach bars within walking distance.
All the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were of a good size and standard. A pool bar is due to open for this Summer (July 7th) and a gym is close to completion to improve this hotel even further.
Would definitely recommend anyone to stay at the Messinian Bay hotel

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Messinia is my fathers homeplace, so I knew the area and it's hotels before choosing Messinian Bay for a weekend. It's located 10mins by car to Kalamata's centre, so it's mostly recommended for travelers with a car. But...it's built on one of the hottest spots of the area, just above the magnificent messinian bay, facing the beautiful quai of Kalamata. All the rooms are in the hotel front and have a splendid view and a balcony for hours of relaxation. Our room was modern and clean, but the view was "all the money". What I must say is that we stayed at the hotel off season and we were two out of 6 or 8 customers- and we also had a good price. I really don' t know what the prices are in the summer, given that greek hotel owners have the bad habit to raise prices extraordinarily when tourists come. At any case, for a car traveller I think it' s the best choice to see the beautiful city of Kalamata. For the summer season, it is also the nearest hotel to the great bars and clubs of Verga Kalamatas.
Aris and Alkisti, Athens, Greece

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arinez02
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We stayed here two nights and were very happy. The food at the hotel restaurant is really great. The service is sort of weird but charming - the staff seems almost shy but are nice and helpful.
There was one serious problem: The AC in one of the rooms did not work the second night. But it wasn't hot enough for us to get up at night and make a fuss about it, if we had I'm sure we'd been allowed to change rooms.
We stayed in a section that was newly built and the rooms had balconys overlooking the bay with sun set going down over the ocean. The setting is really beautiful. I would consider going back here for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Lisacha
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights in August. The beds are tiny, the AC shuts off when you leave the room (meaning the room is very hot when you return), and the bathroom needs a serious upgrade! However, the hotel does have potential -- they are supposed to remodel the hotel soon so it may improve. The view is stunning.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wpanman
Reviewed July 11, 2006

This small property is located in Almyro, just outside Kalamata. The rooms are small, and simply furnished, however there is a pool and the sea is so close you can hear it from the oceanview rooms. There is no sandy beach, so water shoes are helpful in getting into the water, which is extremely clear, and gets deep quickly - like swimming in a natural pool, thanks to the cement platforms the hotel built. I like this property better than the two older mainstays in Kalamata, as they are too big, and seem over-crowded to me. I would return to this property, as there are few offerings in this area, which seems strange, since the environs of Kalamata has a lot to offer by way of sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2003