“An Authentic Newfoundland Experience”
Review of Peg's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fogo Island
Peg's Place
Ranked #4 of 5 Fogo Island B&B and Inns
Ancaster, Canada
“An Authentic Newfoundland Experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Impeccably clean, perfectly located, excellent breakfasts, comfortable and cozy . Stimulating conversation with hosts who readily share their knowledge and experience of this unique outport island's history and culture. Traditional island music, complements of Gerald and his students. Fogo Isalnd is a gem. We stayed 3 nights and could have spent a week exploring its communities and many trails. For an authintic Newfoundland expereince, visit Fogo and stay with gracious hosts, Eileen and Gerald.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at Peg's for several nights while exploring Fogo and the Change Islands. It's a good location for exploring the towns of Fogo, Joe Batt's Arm, and Tilting (which was incredible). Eileen fed us well each morning with oatmeal and a great variety of extras. The home-baked bread smelled so wonderful baking! We had a great view from our room, a beautiful (cool!) cross breeze, and lots of space in the room (we did pay more for the queen room). We peeked at the other rooms and some of the washrooms seemed like a tight squeeze.

Eileen was very welcoming and made all the guests very welcome. We didn't have directions but were able to follow the signs from the ferry, which was helpful. If you're heading for Fogo, definitely consider Peg's. I'd love to return to Fogo and would stay at Peg's again.

Room Tip: We paid a bit more for the room at the front with the queen bed. It was worth it -- more space than...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

There is not a lot of lodging on Fogo Island. Peg's is very clean and comfortable. The bathroom in a few of the rooms can be tight. Had the room with the twin beds for $80.Very small room and would leave the luggage in the car. Other rooms looked larger. Very nice friendly hosts who can give advice about the island. I would suggest at least two nights on the island. Nicole's in Joe Batt's Arm is the only place to eat. Very good food. Need reservations for dinner most nights.
Cheers and Happy travels.

Scarborough
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at Peg's recently. The room was comfortable and we loved the breakfasts - wonderful home made oatmeal porridge with all the fixings: cranberries, flax seed, raisins, and so on, and toasted home made bread with the typical Newfoundland jams. We loved being able to make tea though the day and evening in the kitchen. And enjoyed the muffins that Eileen baked and left out for guests. An excellent place to stay on Fogo.

oakland, ca
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Peg's is one of the first b & b's on Fogo Island, and it's a solid four stars. This is our second visit to Fogo, and second time with Eileen Freake at Peg's. There aren't too many places to stay on the island, and there is a ferry schedule to deal with if you are going to just drop in, so it's better to make reservations in advance of arrival. Fogo is a set of small villages/towns, and Fogo is the largest. Eileen is super efficient and knowledgeable of the island; you need someone like her to direct your attention to the sites and trails, because they just aren't well known.

The breakfast is a little basic, although she makes her delicious bread, and makes her own, very delicious jams. She lets you use the kitchen, so you can keep food there and cook a meal, or pick up fish from the nearby fishery, if it's in season. We had a second floor room that looked out over the water, and the nearby church (it can be a little noisy, but the view in the morning, when the light comes over the mountains, is worth it). You have a small bathroom, which is convenient, and sheeting is good, and the bed is comfy.

Plan on staying at least two nights, or you won't have enough time.

Room Tip: there are rooms on the first floor, very private, with a balcony, and the one we like, with a view...
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I researched a number of places on Fogo Island for my 2-night stay and the testimonials on TripAdvisor led me to Peg's. I was welcomed by Eileen as I stepped out of my car. A wonderful host, she showed me my room and then the house. She made me feel so at home!

The next day over a lovely breakfast, Eileen sat with me (I was the only guest - it was off-season) and we chatted about my trip and what I wanted to do in Fogo. She told me about a number of things to do and in particular about a hike that she and her sister love called Lion's Den which is part of a larger circular hike to 'abandoned villages, hills and breathtaking panoramas,' as the sign says. Eileen said it was wonderful and she was right.

The 'Kaitlin' room had an ensuite bathroom and was very clean and cozy. It was part of an extension to the house. I wished there was room for a desk, but the sacrifice in size was worth the queen size bed. The room had it's own heater, flat screen TV, ceiling fan and that bed - magic! The deck outside had a lovely view of Fogo and the water. Fresh in October, but the view was worth it.

On the second day, Eileen invited me to her sister's for a family dinner - her son and his friends were visiting, so the family was getting together that evening. I was so pleased to be invited me along. I brought some wine and a pie from a local bakery, but it was not necessary as there was so much food already. The homemade dinner was amazing!! Fish cakes, salted fish, fish and more fish, scrunchions, potatoes, etc, and bottles of organic local wine. Desert included homemade pies and chocolate goodies. And conversation was plenty!

I want to go back and stay in Fogo and when I do, I will stay at Peg's with Eileen and Gerald as my hosts. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast!

Room Tip: The Kaitlin and Emilie rooms are outside of the house as an extension. Both have private entrances a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank LeeanneB155
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed November 1, 2011

When I arrived, no one was home, but a quick phone call, and Eileen came and showed me the home and my room. Everything was neat and tidy. Eileen suggested places to go and see. Unfortunately, I was there in October. I'm sure, if I come back in the summer, when all the touristy things are open, I would have a great time. Eileen's husband was practicing music when I came in around supper time, and it was a nice backdrop to review my pictures. If I ever get the chance to visit Fogo Island again, I would love to stay at Peg's. I didn't get a chance to enjoy breakfast, because it was soooo cold on the island, I left early to catch the ferry. I did make use of the kitchen though in the evening and made some toast and tea. I felt like I was at home in my own apartment.

Room Tip: I chose the downstairs room because I was alone and don't need much space. If you like more mov...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
#163 of 273 in Newfoundland
Fogo Island Inn
Fogo Island Inn
#1 of 1 in Joe Batt's Arm

Been to Peg's Place? Share your experiences!