“A Fabulous Lunch!”
Review of Nicole's Cafe

Nicole's Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“A Fabulous Lunch!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our second time having lunch at Nicole's and it was as great as the first. The seafood chowder was delicious and we both enjoyed our Cafe Burger and Crab Panini. For dessert, we went to Growlers down the road, which is owned by the same people. Best ice cream ever! Try the strawberry rhubarb sorbet!!! Yum!

“Avoidthe desserts”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Three of five diners became ill after dinner. I would not recommend the restaurant. Dessert was my demise .... sweet and brick hard brownie. The red house wine was undrinkable to a diner who has a cast iron stomach. the cod died of old age on a steam table. The salad overloaded w dressing n pecans. One diner became overcome with the heat. Portions were obviously different for each person. Coffee was good and chowder was mainstream.
The restaurant looked the part .... What a bluff.
Save ur money and constitution.

3 Thank randallcahill
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice surprise on little Fogo Island.”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Nicole's is such a wonderful spot with excellent food and nice atmosphere. In a Province with a lot of deep fried foods and gravy on offer- I was not expecting much culinary wise on the charming little island- except maybe some good seafood. We ate lunch and dinner here. Both were delicious. The seafood chowder was exceptional with fresh ingredients from the local bay. The crab legs were a nice treat for $15 and again caught locally. The Grilled Chicken Supreme at dinner was done perfectly. Crispy skin and juicy inside. The sauce was stellar. Service was excellent and they had a nice selection of wines for lunch and dinner. This is the only place to eat while on Fogo Island. Cheers and Happy eats.

• Visited July 2012
St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador
“Satisfying dining in Joe Batt's Arm”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This past July, my wife and I had the opportunity to experience the food and atmosphere of Nicole's Cafe in Joe Batt's Arm, Fogo Island, NL. On the same day we had both lunch and dinner at the cafe. The place was jumping during both visits but the high traffic did not really affect the level of service. The owner and her staff have truly put together a restaurant that would appeal to diners anywhere. Nicole's Cafe could be located in St. John's (where, by the way, there are numerous fine dining establishments) and still be successful.

The menu at Nicole's Cafe reflects the traditional eating habits of people in Newfoundland and Labrador, sometimes with a twist of originality. Three of the four entrees my wife and I had that day were sea food and, in all cases, the fish was delicious. My only suggestion is that the batter used for fish and chips be lighter so as not to overwhelm the cod. My dinner entree was very original and mouth watering. It was a homemade pasta dish featuring pulled salt beef. As a closer, I had the partridgeberry tart with Growlers homemade ice cream. I didn't need it but I definitely wanted it, and I'm glad I did.

In short, we both had grand times at Nicole's Cafe. The food created there stands on its own and the owner is pleased to take the time to chat with customers. Well prepared food and sincere hospitality add up to success in my book.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Zeebo1
Scarborough
“Delicious food in a nice environment”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The food was well prepared and very tasty. It was not the usual family run place offering deep fried everything. We had a terrible dinner on Fogo the night before so this restaurant was a life saver - some decent food for a change! The service was good and the woman at the front desk was very kind to find us a table as we had not made a reservation. She said she did not like to turn people away. We appreciated her hospitality and the high quality of the food at Nicole's.

Visited July 2012