“An excellent place to have fun, to get happy”

Club Med Rio Das Pedras
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mangaratiba
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spend few days for our wedding birthday (twenty years).
All the GO were very kind with us, a lot of attention...
The place is very nice and the food excellent. Many activities were interesting, we make sport, fitness and Zumba, we assist at cooking lesson, we discover a part of the forest with a very nice guide, the chef is everywhere, we meet him in every places in the club, he can answer us to all the questions.
I would like to have holidays in Rio Das Pedras again and I recommend this club to every one. It's a such souvenir!!! Thank you
Louise from Thiais ( France)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lougalite
There are newer reviews for Club Med Rio Das Pedras

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a great stay at Club Med Rio Das Pedras (June 2013).
Contrary to previous reviews, the resort has been renovated, and the staff, G.O's and Chef de Village provide amazing service. Though English is not widely spoken, every effort was made to accomodate and include us in all activities.

Special mention to Hendel (Chef de Village), and G.Os Elisa, Dani, Japa, Carlos, Bomba, Hugo, Leo, Dan, Felipe, Amanda, Fauchal for their outstanding levels of service.

Resort comes highly recommended

Regards
RN AND SR

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RNSR
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Club Med Rio Das Pedras, we had a wonderful time, the GO's were wonderful and Hendel (the Chef de Village, or general manager for those of you who haven't been to a club med before) was phenomenal, I have only positive things to say about him and the strong team under him.

They have recently renovated the resort, so i think you can discount all these previous comments on the state of the resort. The rooms, as with all club med rooms are very basic, but i expected that. There are so many activities to do that you spend very little time in your room.

There were very few English speaking people at the resort, and this made it rather difficult to order something as simple as a coffee with milk, but everyone tried really hard and we were so impressed by the effort.

My biggest and only real grievance was the fact that the resort is really far away from Rio de Janeiro, we didn't know this before we got there, so i would recommend spending a few nights of your holiday in Rio because it is difficult to get there from Club Med and quite expensive.
We were very upset with the excursions department because they kept trying to force us to take a private car and a driver from Club Med at a cost of 1000 Reals (about R5000)!!!!!!!!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THEM! They obviously make commission off this trip. There is another way: the Costa Verde bus-a very comfortable, clean and well maintained bus- comes right past the gate of Club Med and for about 40 Reals (around R200) you can go to Rio and then take taxis from there. We did this twice and got around easily. http://www.costaverdetransportes.com.br/

Room Tip: Try get a room in the Palmier block, its not too far from everything but far enough away so that you...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Let's start from the down side... it deserves a little bit more care on the maintenance on the external areas... We've faced a lot of rain and it became clear...

On the other hand, everything else was perfect!
From the check in up to check out including all the attention received, the good care from GOs, the variety of options for myself and for my daughter even under heavy rain.
The food was good, a lot of drinks and a great energy in the air on the shows from the Village Team.

Just great cost / benefit!

Room Tip: The rooms closed to the reception and faced to the beach are great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brusque
Reviewed April 10, 2013

After a great experience in Club Med Rio das Pedras last year, I've had a bad experience this month. To start with, I had a reservation for a room "close to the main building". I was allocated a room at the end of the 4th building, more than halfway in the opposite direction. It must be noted that Club Med charges extra for these "closer rooms", and I've found this rather disappointing, even unethical of them to charge extra for such a room, which was too far away.
I had a problem with the A/C in my room and there was no one to fix at at midnight so we had to spend a night with no A/C. According to the chap who helped us (very nice guy but did not solve our issue; said we needed a technician) the issue was with the A/C remote and the hotel had no spare remote to replace ours (the hotel has over 300 rooms! ).
We had the bad luck of having a large group as guests of the hotel - they were a group of sellers from a company that gave their top performers a trip to the hotel. Having said that, there were groups of people everywhere, who were over drinking and making a lot of noise, even at 2am in the morning. Nevertheless, the club is great for kids, who dont pay attention to these matters, and all the kids in the group loved the trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ExigentTraveller
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I spent one week in Club Med Rio das Pedras. This was my first time at the Club Med, so I had great expectations about it. I have to say all of them were met!
The village is great, the rooms (I stayed in the Sea Cottage) had been renovated recently, and though the buildings are more than 20 years old, they looked very nice.
I loved the catering, everything was so so so very good! The pastries were the best that I ever had (and trust me I've been in many 5 stars hotels!). The drinks were also very good, and most of the GOs and the staff were kind and friendly.
The shows were ok, very "all inclusive" style. Te two main presenters (Larry and JC) were very funny.
On the downside, mosquitos are terrible. No matter how much lotion you put on, you will not be able to escape from them.
I really recommend this hotel and I am sure I will go to another of their resorts soon

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is far from the reception area
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've always been a Club Med-er since I was a kid. So naturally I want to explore as many CMs as I can.
My wife and I were picked up at GIG with no problem at all. The driver spoke Portaguese and some Spanish. We only spoke Spanish but he was a friendly guy. Smiles go a long way when you don't speak the langauge. We arrive at the Club around 12pm
We had to wait aroudn 3 hrs for our room which wasn't bad but wasn't ideal seeing as we flew 11 hrs to get here and a 1.5hr drive. But we explored the grounds.
We were in a Club Room. It was old and it was a hike from the main pool/bar. The AC worked pretty well, the views were good but the rooms need work. I heard from a GO that they were going to renovate the entire property in April.
Rooms aside, the food in the main resturant was good. I felt the bread/cheeses/desserts were lacking when comparing to other Club Meds. One of the GOs who recently came from Turkey said the same thing to me.
We dined at the "Second" resturant 2 times for dinner and 3 times for breakfast. The dinners were great there. The breakfasts there seemed better quality too (same items offered). Likely different chefs in each location.
The beachs is nice with plenty of room to spread out.
Water Skiing was fun, I just wish the boat drivers would speed up a bit more, skiing slow makes things more difficult.
The massage/spa was not good. It seemed rush and not super relaxing. I contacted CM about it.
The bar is good, most of the bar tenders are very friendly.
The shows were good as usual.
The Chef was always around and very friendly.
The "night club" was great. Lots of fun with the GOs and the other guests.

My advice would be to pick up some Portaguese before you go. Some of the GOs do not care to speak Spanish or English so it can be frustrating. I met several GOs who said many of the staff simply do not care to learn or understand any English at all. He continued that often times they will not speak Spanish though they do in reality.
So be it, I didn't let it affect my vacation. We had a great time.
Shout out to the people who constantly sweep and pick up all of the crap left behind by guests, Fabiano at Tennis, Fachal at the Bar and the new bar manager from Turkey.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Otterman11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangaratiba
Portobello Resort & Safari
Portogalo Suite Hotel
#13 of 13 in Angra Dos Reis
Angra Dos Reis Boutique Hotel
#1 of 13 in Angra Dos Reis

Been to Club Med Rio Das Pedras? Share your experiences!