See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 20, 2017

I had a good experience in Portobello, accomodation, beach and swimming pool are great, however hotel has some disappointing rules in place that is not in accordance with the price charged (in comparison with other resorts at the same category) or time of the year that stayed there.

We can't use the ping pong table after 10pm, meals are served on a particular time, and they don't offer nothing in between in case you skip the meal due to some activity. Only fizzy drinks, water and ice tea are included (why not juices?), Bedroom's minibar is charged extra even though it's the same water served in the restaurant.

Hotel is in a beautiful place, food is great, but definitely could do better for the customers. They are missing the "extra mile".

Room Tip: Ask for bedrooms in Block 1, as they are the closest to the restaurant / swimming pool etc.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled on business
3  Thank Irish_Fabio
Ricardo Luiz P, Gerente at Portobello Resort & Safari, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2017

Dear Mr. Fabio,

On behalf of Portobello thank you for your evaluation of our services and structure, at the same time we apologize if we can not meet your expectations. We work with the full board system, we know that some resorts in the region work with the All Inclusive system. We have made some changes, mainly in leisure activities and we hope to have the opportunity to review it in the near future so that you can experience the improvements made.

Regards,

Ricardo Luiz Peixoto
Commercial Manager & Mkt

Reviewed December 28, 2016

The exuberant nature and the perfect structure, make this a very pleasant place to visit with the family.
The meals are great, varied and very well presented and delicious.
Staff very pleasant and looking for our comfort
A memorable place. Our suite was on the beach with no obstacles to the water
A delight to wake up to and have the sea just steps from a soft sand and a stunning look
The small farm and the small safari make the joy of children
Perfect!

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the sea
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
Ricardo Luiz P, Gerente at Portobello Resort & Safari, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2017

Dear Mr(s),

On behalf of Portobello Resort & Safari, I thank you for your positive comments and feedback to our resort. We are very happy to know that we have met your expectations.
I apologize for the delay in sending a thank you message.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Besta Regards

Ricardo Luiz Peixoto
Commercial & Mkt Manager

Reviewed August 10, 2016

We travelling during the week end, The place is really is a charming, we had relaxing moment, I like the safari a lot, Resort most for family, we find several Olympic delegation during our stay , We recommend a visit to the Palmital 20 minutes from the resort

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the ground floor , Suite Beach right in front of the beach
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2016

The beach is very private but very steep. The menu doesn't vary often and could be better. Safari has very few animals. Rooms are a little old. Overall, the hotel is good for families specially the beach rooms where you are 10 feet away from the beach.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2016

This ws my third time in this hotel, but this time with my entire family doing the carnival vacations in Rio de Janeiro. For those expecting party all nights, this is not the place, however if you, like me, wish to have a good time with family and friends in a wonderful paradise, this is the place to go. The hotel is only a 2 hours drive from Rio de Janeiro city and offers the possibility of spending the full day isolated from the mess in the big city, relaxing in the pool or at the beach is is right in front of your bedroom. This is one of the few places you can actually sleep while listening to the waves crashing on the beach. The place has a small zoo (they call Safari), in addition to a petting zoo for the small ones, bicycles to ride across the property, (which is inside a gated community hence very safe), a big pool, and places to play volleyball, tennis and - of course as you are in Brazil - a huge soccer field. If you have kids, they do offer a separated club for them and provide many activities to keep them busy. Also offer wwo great restaurants, a bar, and if you, like me, prefer to sit at the beach, they also provide service right at the sand, proving that there is no such as outstanding service. All was great! My room however was not with direct access to the beach (as I reserved a tick late) and did deserve some renovation. It provided two beds sized a little small for a couple, but with new linen and good pillow. The ac was working well which was very important as temperatures during the time I was there reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit (about 40 celsius), they also a minibar and an in room safe. Besides the free wi-fi at a good velocity (i could use netflix :) ) room also offer a TV with cable tv channels in english (some ˜dubbed˜ in portuguese, but many film channels in original language and subtitled in portuguese, so easy to watch). Bathroom has the usual toiletries offered by any 4 star hotel, and shower pressure great, temperature also great, however toilet needs work as it did get clogged overtime I used (very low water pressure, this is something they do need to fix). The hotel infrastructure was great, I even was able to ride a horse to a natural pool some 40 minutes (by horse) away from the hotel, at very low additional cost, proving to be a great experience. I did miss on one of the 4 nights I stayed there a public area with AC to sit down and play cards, but I did have a great time and recommend the hotel to everyone coming to Rio and wanting to spend some time relaxing close to Angra area.

Room Tip: Reserve early and try rooms with access to the beach, preferable in the first block of rooms (they have 3).
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family