“Large group, no issues”
Review of Colinas Residencia

Colinas Residencia
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a large group for World Youth Day. The location was great for the price we paid. The guys at the front desk were extremely helpful, they spoke English fluently. Basic rooms, not ideal for spending all day in, but who wants to when you're on vacation. Breakfast was something to look forward to. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I traveled with a buddy to Rio to experience the 2013 Carnival. We booked this place because it was the cheapest for its location which is about a 5 minute walk to Ipanema beach. I read the reviews and figured it couldn't that bad. Was I ever wrong.

First off the hotel is hard to find. I suggest you print out a copy from google maps.

The lobby is fine and the employee at the desk is great. He brings us up to our room which is a 4 bed dormitory. It is by far the dirtiest I have ever seen. The room is about as big as a prison cell. The walls have permanent stains, the beds must be as old as I am. The air conditioner sounded like a factory blowing cool dusty air.

The shared bathrooms: The toilets are as spacious as in a plane. You will immediately smell the mold all over the place. By the way you cannot flush the toilet paper, you must put in a garbage. There are a total of 4 showers, only 2 of which worked and only 1 with hot water. The cleaning maids looked as unhappy as were to be there. They do not provide towels or clean sheets for your bed.

The breakfast is very basic but its ok.

If you consider this place just because of its price may I recommend you save up a few more months and stay in a better place. If you have a girlfriend, and you care for her please do not go there.

After all of this I still had the best time of my life, the brazilian people are a great people.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank adam d
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Even after reading the reviews here we still chose to risk staying here in the lead up to Carnivale.
Very close to everything and the desk staff here were amazing (Bernardo and Luciano).
Room was ok, plain, but that was all we needed.
Bernardo and Luciano could not have been more helpful (after we had made a stuff up with ur hotel booking during Carnivale). Bernardo also giving us the run down on all the street parties and which were the best ones to go to.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great location (very close to Copacabana, Ipanema, metro station, bus station)

Good breakfast, helpful staff (english speaking)

Hotel is outdated but we had everything we needed for great time in Rio...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank abcde54321
Reviewed September 12, 2012

After everything I’ve read here about this hotel, I was even afraid to stay there, but giving the absurdly expensive prices in Rio the Janeiro and the fact that the other hotel with similar prices was unavailable, I decided to stay in this hotel. It wasn’t that bad, but for the price paid I could have stayed in better hotels anywhere in the world! The location was excellent and very safe (by brazillian standards). Less than 5 minutes walking to the Arpoador beach (very nice beach) and no more than 3 minutes to the Gen. Osorio subway station. The room is very spacious and clean, but the other parts of the hotel are depressingly decadent. The main entrance looks like the gate of a concentration camp. It gave me a very bad first impression. The place definitely needs a lot of restoration and refurbishing. After that it could become a very pleasant hotel.
In my first night there, the shower wasn't working, so the hotel clerk told me that the solution was to take my shower in other room, giving that it was too late for the maintenance service. Fortunately the problem got fixed the next day.
Two good things about the hotel: The location, near everything and very quiet (that’s difficult in Rio) and the breakfast, that was surprisingly good (I was expecting something terrible).

Room Tip: There are rooms with balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nanbei
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on two occasions and both times we were happy. Room is spacious, bed is comfortable enough, lots of hot water, AC works, safe worked great, staff were really nice. There is 24 hour reception, you are a 5 minute walk to either Ipanema or copacabana beaches. This is by no means a luxury hotel, but they are just down the road if you want to pay triple the price. Breakfast is great, fresh fruit and breads everyday. We also used hotel pickup/drop off for airport. Good idea. Booked all our tours through the hotel as well, they were all great. only shortcoming was no wifi in rooms but we didn't spend too much time worrying about that since we were in Rio!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jdcamp
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I stayed in this hotel on two separate occasions, first in January, then in March, at the beginning and end of my trip to South America. I had been recommended the hotel by a friend who had lived in Rio for around 9 months previously.

I was freaked out by all the negative reviews on here at first, but during the time I stayed, I experienced no problems whatsoever. The staff are helpful and friendly. The breakfast is basic but okay. The rooms are basic but are everything you need - fridge, air conditioning, small balcony, mirrors, comfortable bed, clean linen, towels, soap provided in bathroom, working toilet and shower with warm - hot water. The rooms are also quite large. After staying in hostels befroe where I had to shower in cold water and listen to other people snore, I didn't expect too much, and it was fine. There are safes in the rooms but as I'm not sure they worked, bring a padlock to lock your valuables in your suitcase. Also when we left our luggage for the day (as we had a late evening flight), it was absolutely fine and locked away in a cupboard. There is wi-fi but it only reaches the first floor so you have to take your laptop to the courtyard area.

The staff all speak excellent English and Bernardo who works evenings is especially helfpul. There is a taxi guy called Silvio who is friendly and will take you wherever you want to go in the city for a decent price.

The main bonus of this hotel is the location. Its 10 minutes walk to Ipanema beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Its closer to Ipanema than Copocabana. Its a few minutes away from General Osorio Square, where there are many restaurants, bars and plenty of tourists. Ipanema is an especially safe area to go out at night for tourists and not once did I feel threatened or unsafe here. Plus all the taxi drivers everywhere know where General Osorio is and there is a metro there too to take you wherever in the city. There is a good weekend market too.

For value (Rio is getting increasingly more and more expensive) and location this place gets the thumbs-up, but don't expect luxury. It is however, clean.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple