“Great location for reasonable price”
Review of Colinas Residencia

Colinas Residencia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
“Great location for reasonable price”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great location (very close to Copacabana, Ipanema, metro station, bus station)

Good breakfast, helpful staff (english speaking)

Hotel is outdated but we had everything we needed for great time in Rio...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abcde54321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Curitiba
Reviewed September 12, 2012

After everything I’ve read here about this hotel, I was even afraid to stay there, but giving the absurdly expensive prices in Rio the Janeiro and the fact that the other hotel with similar prices was unavailable, I decided to stay in this hotel. It wasn’t that bad, but for the price paid I could have stayed in better hotels anywhere in the world! The location was excellent and very safe (by brazillian standards). Less than 5 minutes walking to the Arpoador beach (very nice beach) and no more than 3 minutes to the Gen. Osorio subway station. The room is very spacious and clean, but the other parts of the hotel are depressingly decadent. The main entrance looks like the gate of a concentration camp. It gave me a very bad first impression. The place definitely needs a lot of restoration and refurbishing. After that it could become a very pleasant hotel.
In my first night there, the shower wasn't working, so the hotel clerk told me that the solution was to take my shower in other room, giving that it was too late for the maintenance service. Fortunately the problem got fixed the next day.
Two good things about the hotel: The location, near everything and very quiet (that’s difficult in Rio) and the breakfast, that was surprisingly good (I was expecting something terrible).

Room Tip: There are rooms with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Nanbei

Travelers are raving about these Mangaratiba hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on two occasions and both times we were happy. Room is spacious, bed is comfortable enough, lots of hot water, AC works, safe worked great, staff were really nice. There is 24 hour reception, you are a 5 minute walk to either Ipanema or copacabana beaches. This is by no means a luxury hotel, but they are just down the road if you want to pay triple the price. Breakfast is great, fresh fruit and breads everyday. We also used hotel pickup/drop off for airport. Good idea. Booked all our tours through the hotel as well, they were all great. only shortcoming was no wifi in rooms but we didn't spend too much time worrying about that since we were in Rio!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank jdcamp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I stayed in this hotel on two separate occasions, first in January, then in March, at the beginning and end of my trip to South America. I had been recommended the hotel by a friend who had lived in Rio for around 9 months previously.

I was freaked out by all the negative reviews on here at first, but during the time I stayed, I experienced no problems whatsoever. The staff are helpful and friendly. The breakfast is basic but okay. The rooms are basic but are everything you need - fridge, air conditioning, small balcony, mirrors, comfortable bed, clean linen, towels, soap provided in bathroom, working toilet and shower with warm - hot water. The rooms are also quite large. After staying in hostels befroe where I had to shower in cold water and listen to other people snore, I didn't expect too much, and it was fine. There are safes in the rooms but as I'm not sure they worked, bring a padlock to lock your valuables in your suitcase. Also when we left our luggage for the day (as we had a late evening flight), it was absolutely fine and locked away in a cupboard. There is wi-fi but it only reaches the first floor so you have to take your laptop to the courtyard area.

The staff all speak excellent English and Bernardo who works evenings is especially helfpul. There is a taxi guy called Silvio who is friendly and will take you wherever you want to go in the city for a decent price.

The main bonus of this hotel is the location. Its 10 minutes walk to Ipanema beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Its closer to Ipanema than Copocabana. Its a few minutes away from General Osorio Square, where there are many restaurants, bars and plenty of tourists. Ipanema is an especially safe area to go out at night for tourists and not once did I feel threatened or unsafe here. Plus all the taxi drivers everywhere know where General Osorio is and there is a metro there too to take you wherever in the city. There is a good weekend market too.

For value (Rio is getting increasingly more and more expensive) and location this place gets the thumbs-up, but don't expect luxury. It is however, clean.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank louiseaneilson
Belgrade
Reviewed December 2, 2009

200 EUROS STOLEN FROM THE SAFE DEPOSIT BOX BY THE HOTEL STAFF

This hostel, which is advertised under different names Colinas residencia, Colinas de Copacabana, Colinas redidencia, etc. is located in Rua Saint Roman 338, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, was the worst experience we have ever had! Do not book this hostel 'cause your holiday can easily become a nightmare! We got robbed by the hotel staff, and nobody including the hotel manager did nothing to help us. The rudest people we ever met!!!!!!

My friend and I stayed in this hotel from Nov 12 to Nov 20, 2009, in a private double room, which means we did not share the room with anyone. Having arrived at the hostel, we also rented the safe deposit box in our room in order to keep money in it 'cause we heard that Rio was not very safe. Renting the safe deposit box was not included in the price, but we needed to pay extra. But, when we tried to open the safe deposit box, it turned out that the lock was broken. We reported it to the receptionist, who sent a handyman to repair it. He fixed it and we put our money, passports and other documents inside.
The next day, before leaving for the center of Rio, I opened the safe deposit box, counted all the money, locked the safe deposit box again and put the key in the pocket of my shorts. All the money was there. My friend was there with me, but he did not have access to the safe deposit box, 'cause the key was with me all the time.
When we came back to the hostel, I counted the money again, but 200 euros were missing!!!! 150 from my and 50 from his wallet. It was not a burlary because the room door as well as the door of the safe deposit box were intact (no traces of forcible and violent entry). Only somebody from the hostel who had the access to the keys could get into our room, open the safe deposit box and stole our money. I ran downsatirs to the reception desk, but the hotel staff including the manager who was there did not seem to care. The female receptionist just asked me if I wanted her to call the police. When the police arrived, they took me to the police station where I gave the satement and reported the theft.
When I came back to the hostel, I told the receptionist I would like to speak to the manager. He came from his office and I asked him what he did to protect us, his guests. I asked him if he talked with the handyman who repaired the safe deposit box the day before or the room maid, because it was so obvious that sombedy of the staff stole the money. He behaved in the most disgusting manner and turned his deaf ear to all that I said. The rest of the time we spent in this hotel, nobody (except for the two male receptionist who were kind all the time) demonstrated any concern or compassion for what happened to us. The manager behaved as we had not been there. And, also the day when we got robbed, I met the handyman in the corridor. The moment he passed by me, he started whistling some tune in a very provocative manner. It was so frustrating, but I was not able to do anything.
On top of everything, the day we checked out the female recptionist (extremely rude) tried to charge us the cost of renting the safe deposit box, even though I returned the key the very day we were robbed.
Such things happen in hotels! But 'cause of the way we were treated I decided to put this story on every Internet site on which this hostel advetises its services.
I visited the police station one more time before we left, and deputy station commander told us that they would do everything they could. I know I won't see my money again, but I feel I need to warn other people not to stay in this hotel. You'd better pay more for a safer hotel.
If you have any queries, please contact me at jovancatovic@yahoo.com and I will provide with all the proofs and additional details.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
12 Thank ioannis75
Scotland
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Stayed there in Feb 2007. It was the only place available due to the Carnaval being on and we booked last minute. The rooms were diabolical and the shower never worked. We also got pitched in with a Fabio lookalike who nicked my mp3 player.

I have to say, though, I had the best time imaginable while there. Rodrigo (the Manager - dunno if he's still there now or not) was absolutely brilliant. He really looked after us. Most of the guests bar Fabio were great too, really good bunch of people. On the basis of Rodrigo or the Godfather as he likes to be known I would reccommend the place, although it's not very easy on the eye... to say the least.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank IvorHardon
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I was backpaking and asked for a dorm, luckily there were no more people in my room , which made it a good place.I must state that I am not very demanding in this aspect. I hardly stay in the hostels or hotels when I am travelling and what I need is a good bed, lots of water and cleanliness. Well I couldn't find all these in this place. The beds were very uncomfortable, The light was poor at night, so I couldn't read, the shower door kept stucking , which made me mad.
Since I was in a dorm for 4 ...alone, I had no problem with the key as some else had mentioned, but I agree about the cleanliness, despite being a low season they didn't clean everyday.
There were no towels or soap in the toilets.I have stayed in much cheaper places which offer clean towels and soap bars everyday.
I was disappointed when a very kind member of the staff offered me a full day tour for $200 to discover that he got $90 only for making a phone call, and I could have got that myself.
I can't complain about breakfast, there was plenty of food and clean tables, but I can't imagine this place in carnival season, because i could see the service was slow in other cases.
I couldn't get internet access, so i had to walk aorund.It is true that the place is near a fabella, but it will be fair to say that even some of the most expensive hotels are near a fabella in Rio.
There are plenty of choices in Rio. I wouldn't recommend this. the place is a bit hidden.I was travelling alone, and I am not normally afraid of lonely places, but most people are, so next time I will choose something in Ipanema, but near a main avenue for sure.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo