“Mediocre Property”
Review of Hotel Shelter

Hotel Shelter
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Gwalior
Reviewed February 23, 2013

When it comes to a city like Gwalior, you cannot expect much.
Overall it was a average hotel. some of the factors that the hotel lags behind are inexperienced staff, improper management and average cleanliness of the property. The only thing hotel succeeds in luring its customers is its location in the city, just 1 km away from Railway station and as I went there to give my TOEFL test , my center was walking distance from the hotel. The room was averagely decor ed, old furniture, dirty sheets, the glasses kept their were very dirty. A specific problem occured with my room's bathroom, the hot water line didn't provide hot water through it, also unavailability of toilet paper was a major disaster.The bathrooms are poorly designed. One thing that attracts hotel's amenities was it's free Wi-Fi, which was a good thing to see. The hotel claims to have a 24 hour restaurant named BLUE FOX, but folks they have really converted it into a banquet hall, so you have either room service or some other place to eat. The other disaster was we were told that the breakfast starts 7 in the morning and when I was there at 7-30, there was no breakfast at all, the receptionist was having a fight with their staff, a total confusion and finally breakfast was served at 8-45 AM and that I think was food from the party which happened the earlier night. Overall, I would suggest that it is a average hotel, you can't simply expect much and be prepared to ask for each and every thing from it's inexperienced employee's as they hardly know how a hotel is managed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner have a view to the city, nothing much is great about the rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank the787

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I did not plan to stay at this hotel, but was very happy I did. The story goes as follows - i was walking past this hotel and the manager asked me to come in and check out a room, I said yes, intersted in looking at the prices, but thinking I wouldn't stay as the hotel looked pretty run down and more like a building site from the outside. Anyhow, as I reached the 3rd floor the hotel still looked like a building site, we entered the room and I was pleasantly surprised. Modern furniture, 25 inch flat screen t.v, with English speaking channels, a large shower head, clean bathroom. Overall a very good room. I managed to bargain the manager down to half the price of what he wanted for the room. The customer service was excellent. Some times a bit too good, e.g. calling my room at 6am and asking if I wanted tea. The resturant was pretty good also. Over all a very good stay.

Room Tip: Ignore the outside go in and check out the rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Orwellwasright
Reviewed June 9, 2012

To be honest the hotel provides good value for money if u r travelling alone on work or just need to stay for a short trip. The internet is decent, cleanliness is above average, staff courtesy and behaviour is average (Hey But we r talking of GWALIOR here, so what did u expect), Restaurant offers decent food that i would rate above average again (Although the menu could have a wider choice but i hardly have any complaints), the restaurant staff make up in service for whatever is lacking in the food.. However i wouldnt rate it as an ideal family hotel... Not for any other reason but lack of cleanliness, lack of entertainment facilities (except the TV in the room).... Hope it helps u to make your decision..

Room Tip: Choice of Road View or No View... :) Doesn matter much actually..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sachin_103
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The place was near the station and hence very convinient. The room was very cheap and for the price very comfortable with 24 hrs of hot water and a tv. Though the cable on the TV was not very clear. The staff was indifferent to my complaint of this and the food was also bad

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank rhtagwl
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I booked this hotel online. When I got there they showed me a room with no window, a filthy bathroom with broken fixtures, lousy beds with dirty sheets, and dingy walls. I told them I wouldn't sleep in the room if it was free, much less the Rs2300 I'd already paid on travelguru. They apologized said the problem was that the hotel was undergoing renovations, which it clearly was. To their credit they arranged a room for me at the same price in another, much nicer hotel with which they are affiliated. (Hence the two stars rather than one.)

Because my guidebook recommended their restaurant I went back in the evening to eat there, but it was entirely booked for a wedding party. That seems common.

Maybe it will be nicer when the renovations are completed. Who knows?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank irprof
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I stayed in Shelter hotel a couple of times before, but never wrote a review about it. This time I booked rooms by email and never got any reply. Knowing that Gwalior's hotels are never really full I did not bother. I confirmed my booking in the morning of arrival day and was granted a good discount and good rooms on the phone. When I actually turned up, the reception did not have an booking for me. Never mind as the rooms were anyway still available. I checked them before checking and they were ok. The surprise came when the reception informed me about the price...They quoted me exactly double from what they did on the phone that same morning !!! I recalled them our conversation but that man started shouting on me and beeing very rude, saying I had no proof of what I was saying. They dont take anybody without a proper voucher, they never got my email...blablabla....I gave up and went in another hotel. Shelter will never see me again !

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank senvatenguerre
Reviewed November 22, 2010

1. Asked for dinner- told to eat dinner at some stranger's wedding party- the cooks are too busy.
2. Constant noise of children running up and down - the elevators gave way and got faulty.
3. A guest made noise and got violent and abused dirtily, with the manager and they just stood smiling.
4. I asked for food and got something else because they don't know how to cook it , when i called- madam wedding party going on.
5. I'm a woman traveller- if I order room service- the waiters/stewards(whatever) place their food on the table and linger and stare at my chest- on of them tried to elbow me in my chest.
6. The hotel promised me a laptop but refused to let me use it because they were afraid of the data stored in it (anyone heard of password protected file?)- overcommitting to my company and grossly under-delivering.
7. No toilet paper, no towels and no water to drink - the cable comes and goes. the AC does not come back on after electricity failure.
8. the conference room has blue LED lights and was a buffet room smelling of bad cabbage.
9. the drunk and violent guest is still here and getting increasing violent every minute. so am bailing out now.
10. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business