“Best budget option in gwalior”
Review of Tansen Residency

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gwalior
Tansen Residency
Ranked #1 of 36 Gwalior B&B and Inns
“Best budget option in gwalior”
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

good location in a planned locality.good frontage adequate parking pleasant ambience.good clean rooms.working restaurant.
Meagre breakfast that unfortunately and recently has been a feature unlike in 2010 when even paratha size was bigger!!!!
Hotel is located slightly away from monuments as like other hotels.spent 1 day here.
Was satidfied with this hotel in terms of the price offered.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Clean enough, but a little dingy. Free internet on a computer by the reception. The location was not great, not much around the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Tansen Residency is maintained and run by the State Govt. It is a hotel to be strictly used for a budget stay while doing business in the city or doing the historical tour of the city as there is not much to enjoy the property. 30-45 minutes drive from the airport and 10 minutes away from the railway station, the hotel is situated on Gandhi Road with big sprawling bungalows for neighbours. The rooms and bathrooms are large and spacious with natural light coming in and has a totally no nonsense air to it. Hot water, television, clean sheets, room heater, air conditioning (though not central) are available. F&B constitutes of a bar, a restaurant, conference room and a lawn for open air parties. Cuisines available are Indian, Chinese and very little continental. Suggest you stick to the tried and tested Indian fare and not be adventurous here. Breakfast buffets are generally included in the room charges. Staff is courteous but not in your face and will arrange for cars, tours and give general directions as reqd. The hotel also provides a city tour in an open bus at extra charges and has a state handicraft shop selling mainly fabric and sarees that the region is famous for.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor rooms and not the ground floor and away from the staircase.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Gwalior, which is a grand Government-owned hotel. I had arrived
at Gwalior very late in the night (my train the AP Express had
reached abotu 45 minutes late). The check-in staff were
soft-spoken, and pleasant. They appreciated my speaking in Hindi,
and spoke back in a manner which gladdened me. I was softly told
that if I freshened myself a bit quickly, I could make it in time
to catch some dinner. I was famished, and was badly in need of
some good food. When I went inside, I made a few choices on
eqnuiring with the waiter. He softly told me with a smile, that
after the first item I had ordered, if I wanted, he would get the
second one. I liked the soft advice on the relative portions of
the first dish, since I was quite full after the first dish. The
complimentary breakfast the next morning was very nice. It was a
bit limited (but not severely, though) in the number of items,
but certainly not on taste. The room itself was absolutely
fabulous - large, neat and clean. My rooms' windwos faced the
rear of the hotel, and did not offer much of an exotic view - I
did not mmind this in any way. The bathroom was was nice, clean
and adequately stocked. One of the messages that particularly
impressed me was a note to the effect that the Hotel Tansen was
committed towards the cause of our rivers and lakes. In case a
guest wished to use his/her towels for some time, they would
welcome it. If the guest desired to have them changed, he/she
could put it in the basin (or something similar to this effect).
This Hotel is a perfect example of how a Government-owned hotel
can be run to perfection. Fantastic!

Room Tip: I had a rear-facing room, but I was not worried too much about the view.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Indore, India
Reviewed December 6, 2011

The rooms at the hotel will remind you of any old days railway station side lodge. The rooms are spacious but lack cleanliness and hygiene. The toilets are old and have lost their aesthetic looks. Bed sheets were worn out and dirty. The room service is lousy. I would say this hotel of MP Tourism is not at all up to the mark. The only best part of this hotel is its location in the center of the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harshkrg
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We arrived from Delhi sometime in the afternoon and headed straight here as it made logical sense to be close, but not too close, to the station.

Upon arriving we were shown some rooms and we opted for the smallest one which after the additional of two extra beds, for my kids, was plenty big enough for us.

The room had clearly seen better days but in the class of hotels like this you often get places like this. Having said this, it wasn't bad at all I just don't think they'd had many visitors recently.

Room service was ordered and delivered whilst I went to see reception about the closure times for the Gwalior Fort. This was our only cock-up as they told me 9pm and they were right, but that's the closure for the Sound and Light show customers, not for normal daytime visitors. So at 6pm we set off for the fort and arrived shortly before it closed and so they wouldn't let us in. However, it meant that we enjoyed the hidden sunset, hearing the calls to prayer that hovered above city and generally chilled out; something we wouldn't have done if we were visiting the fort.

Back at the hotel we were the only people in the restaurant at 8pm. The food was great, the drinks good, the cocktails even better. Service was good and the price was very reasonable.

After dinner I wanted to update my blog and they let me use the machine in their office, unaccompanied, the same machine with their booking system on. I was somewhat surprised but very grateful. The next day they left me use the machine on reception, it made me laugh as I felt like an employee :-)

The thing that my kids will remember about this hotel happened when we went to bed and switched off the light: the ceiling was decorated with luminous stars and planets; we'd never spotted it in the daytime but it made my kid's day, or rather night.

Checking out was a breeze, the staff were very professional and I made up my mind that given the choice I'd stay at other MPTDC hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Room was very comfortable with refrigerator, TV and AC. Clean and presentable, No views or balconies.
Just a reasonable room and complex at a mid range price. Nothing to rave about nor to complain about. Good breakfast, helpful staff. Free internet was great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple