“Simple, good, just what I needed”
Review of Swan At Carp

Swan At Carp
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Carp
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I went there for an informal business lunch. After 5 years living in Carp, it was now time to experience Swan. I found the menu limited, but with many interesting choices proposed. I was not terribly hungry, so I had a smoked salmon panini, served with fries and a side salad. The food was simple, delicious, well presented. The decor is interesting, though it does look a little old. All in all, it was a nice experience.

1  Thank Rene B

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We are moving to the Carp area soon and have started to check out the local restaurants and Pubs. We saw the Swan at Carp and read about the owners and how talented they must be with their culinary degrees. We were so disappointed when we arrived for our dinner out. The table cloth was dirty and the cushions on the bench look like they have been there for many many years. They need to be replaced. We ordered appetizers - both of which were deep fried - crab and lobster cakes and veggie spring rolls. The crab and lobster cakes were ok; but the veggie spring rolls were dripping grease. Main courses arrived - wild boar chop and stuffed quail. There was so much sauce on the quail it just overwhelmed the entire plate and made the "nest of potatoes" very mushy and not very appetizing. The wild boar chop was ok, but it was not grilled and instead cooked on the flat top; served with two deep fried potato cakes which were overdone and a pineapple salsa that had chunks of pineapple that would serve in a fruit salad not a salsa. The entire dining experience took less than one hour and was too expensive for the quality of the meal. While the Swan has a great web site and entices you to visit their establishment, the meal failed to deliver a good result. They really need to take a step back and look at how they are presenting their food or just go with pub food like wings etc. We won't be back.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is the second time that I've been disappointed with lunch at the Swan. The server was quite pleasant and attentive. She knew quite a lot about the extensive selection of beer, both bottled and on tap. We were the only people in the restaurant, so our food came very promptly. I ordered the Korean bento box with bulgogi beef. It came with kimchee, some sort of seaweed salad, another unidentified salad and rather good sticky rice. The beef was average. It was tasty enough, but I've had much better in Korean restaurants. The kimchee was very spicy, but had a bitter undertaste that was rather unpleasant. The seaweed salad was delicious. This restaurant is an odd mix of pub and fine dining which doesn't quite work. Since we were the only diners, the pub atmosphere was missing. The music was far too loud and was a loop tape of classic rock -- Jimi Hendrix is a bit much for me at lunch!
I will probably return because it is close to home and there are not many restaurants in West Carleton, but I much prefer the Cheshire Cat.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Nice folks, cosy, great food. Liked the atmosphere. Good homecooked meals. Good independent stop with character if you find yourself on Falldown Lane!

Reviewed March 31, 2012

My fiancee and I were excited to try the Swan at Carp, given that we were going to the nearby Diefenbunker and noticed how well reviewed it was. Sadly it didn't live up to what we hoped.

I had the chicken Parmesan, goat cheese and almond salad and a hazelnut chocolate dessert, none of which was better than average. The dessert in fact, was dry & stale and I ended up feeling unwell after. My fiancee did better, with some very good escargot and creme brulee, but a disappointing chicken Florentine crepe as the main.

The building is handsome, but needs some updating. The wallpaper is worn and sagging in places. The bathroom especially is very much in need of renovation.

Service was very good. I just wish they had been more cautious about serving old pastry.

1  Thank J P