“what a difference a year makes!”

Tsokkos Gardens Apartments
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“what a difference a year makes!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

we returned to tsokkos gardens having enjoyed it so much the previous yr but what a difference a yr makes. we arrived late sunday evening and checked in, it took two attempts for staff to properly set room key as they didnt seem to know what they were doing. Our room wasnt cleaned until i went to reception 3 days later to ask for a brush and mop since their employees were to lazy to clean it. Bedding was not changed and i had to ask our holiday rep to speak to the staff which he had to do twice before it was done.We also had to request clean towels as none were ever left!. We were all inclusive but due to poor quality (not like the previous yr) we ate out every other night as food was cold and resembled left over breakfast and lunch with reheated chips. They even had chips at breakfast!! be it they were cold. The restaurant advertised themed meals each evening but each evening the food was the same bland,cold offerings and if you ate later you had no chance of any desserts. Staff service was poor and they had a security guard who came round the pool side kicking sunbeds out the way at 5pm it was as if you were only allowed to sit on them until this time. never known such an early curfew ! I spoke to reception about his behaviour in front of my children and all they said was another 3 families had complained as well !! but no apology from them. So as you will guess i will not be returning as i wouldn't waste my hard earned money. Cyprus is a beautiful place to visit just be careful were you stay. These apartments and hotel are NOT recommended from my family's experience i cant believe such a drop of standard in a year.

Room Tip: there is no tip about choosing a good room that i could give about this accommodation as i wouldnt r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed 2 weeks all inclusive at the Tsokkos Gardens Apartments and this is a basic information review.

Reception/General - This was the quickest check in we have ever had, ten minutes at the most, friendly, efficient and helpful. One tip ask for the safety deposit box when you check in the cost is 21.80 euros for two weeks. It is a key. Beach towels are available for 10 euros deposit refundable on return, they can be changed daily. If you are really missing the household tasks !! there is a washing machine and tumble dryer available also an iron room. The whole complex is very tired looking and could do with a refurbishment.

Studio Apartment - We were on the ground floor overlooking the car park, it was basic and clean enough. The beds were firm to hard which suited us, bed linen was changed every 3 days and towels changed daily. There were 2 double wardrobes and the safety deposit box was in one. Although there was plenty hanging space there was no chest of drawers for underwear, swimwear etc. The air conditioning was fine, and for a change not noisy. There was a fridge, 2 ring hob and microwave. The shower was over the bath, again in the bathroom no storage place for toiletries, we ended up using the kitchen area. I have attached some pictures as I could not find any of the apartment when I was looking.

Pool - There are 3 pools in total, one at the apartments, the main one at the hotel and another at the Sun Gardens just next door. The pool at the Apartments is deep 1.5m going up to 1.6m so no use for a non-swimmer like me. There is also a childrens pool. The hotel main pool is shallow at one end going up to 1.35m in the middle and then up to 2.m at the end. There is also a childrens pool. The pool at the Sun Gardens was also deep going up to 2.2m. There were plenty sunbeds and umbrellas, no need for bed hogging. As a non-swimmer we spent most of our time at the hotel pool which was clean and tidy and staff went round all day collecting empty cups and rubbish.

Restaurant - The restaurant is used by all 3 blocks so sometimes you had to wait up to 10 min for a table. The food was average 3 star all inclusive, I cannot rave or complain about it. The staff were pleasant and helpful. They do however need to rip up and get rid of the disgusting carpet in the restaurant.

Staff - We found all the staff without exception to be helpful and friendly.

Entertainment - You need to remember this is a family resort and that to a certain extent seemed to determine the entertainment. We only saw 3 local acts in 2 weeks, and if they provided more of this standard it would be a great improvement. This was provided by Thomas Cook team and although Paris, Alise and Ainsley were very enthusiastic and worked their socks off Thomas Cook really need to look at the material they give them to work with - it was dire. As you walked around the resort you could tell the time by what entertainment was on in the hotels - they were all the same at the same time, every night.

Flight home - If you are travelling with Thomas Cook you are given the option at the airport to pay 20 euros for fast track check in - I would say well worth it. I spoke to a couple who stood for over an hour before reaching check in.

All in I would say we received what we paid for a basic 3 star all inclusive holiday. A family resort so I would not like to be there in peak season.

1 Thank Irene F
newport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at the apartments, room and pools both very good, at the hotel the all inclusive is adequate with not bad food and a quality bar, staff here are polite and service is excellent. cyprus is a great place to vist and the area around the apartments is lovely, would go back.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank guy_of_gisbourne
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked Marlita beach however we were asked if we would move to Tsokkos Gardens due to overbooking in Marlita, and if we did, we could avail of fullboard in both complexes so we said 'why not?'

Staff were not very nice, mainly Easterners with a curt manner dancing attention on Eastern guests, ignoring everybody else. I didn't realise for the evening meal you were placed by the waitress so when greeted I provided our room number and proceeded to see to the food. Waitress Elena was most agressive and started shouting at me 'Madame' saying she had been waiting for us at the table and speaking in a raised voice to me in front of all other guests -we just weren't aware there was a 'procedure' however more than happy to respect a 'procedure' once made aware. The manner in which I was addressed, Elena should not be working in a customer facing environment and she would need corrective action on her manner and customer focus skills. It makes no sense to have a memeber of staff seat guests for all inclusive-there were always plenty of tables free and we wished to eat outside, furthermore how do I know if I would prefer red or white wine until I've seen what food is available and what I am going to eat??!!!

Breakfasts were good, the older gentleman was lovely- welcoming guests was very friendly, good customer focus! Dinners and evening meals were made of mainly breakfast leftovers, sausages and eggs all chopped up with some tomatoes thrown in! Appalling! Food was cold! Only for good cheeses and desserts we didn't go hungry! We learned one thing-NEVER go full board!

The sheets were not changed during our 4 day stay-inadequate given such hot temperatures and for the overall comfort. There was a foot of dust on the TV table, the dressing table was not dusted all week. The cleaners spent hours on our floor -doing what I couldn't say-it didn't appear to be dusting/bed changing!

On the day we were checking out I left an ARCHOS 5 (similar to a tablet) and my MP3 player stupidly on the bed and came away without them. When I emailed the hotel my 1st email was ignored. 2nd email I was advised nothing was made note of in the lst and found book and the room was fully searched-Most disappointing. The bed clothes didn't gobble up my items!!!!

1 Thank MissSunshine902
Toni-M-B-Lincs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Cyprus is great, pernea is great just love the area.
tsokkos garden apartments were not quite as good tho. the place is a little tired and dated now, needs updating.
whilst the weather was hot hot hot, th epools were great for a cooling dip, the staff were fine, the place was clean and tidy all the time, the food was pretty good compared to most and everything seemed to run and be controlled really well.
the walk along the sea front to protaras is just great, stopping off a the cafes en route and to sit watching the world go by gazing into blue seas and the sunset just amazing, probably one of my most favourite places in the world !
add in the SPECTRUM bar in pernea, close to the hotel, this place is great always recommend visiting here.
we will return but will be a different hotel next time !

1 Thank Toni-M-B
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

hotel very tired staff very friendly , good pools areas can always find a sunbed . our room was kept clean by our maid she was very good . food was very average best meal was breakfast , hotel was rated 4* i don,t think so , apartments were not rated at all . would not go there again like cyprus will go back but to a different hotel . thanks to the staff for a nice holiday.

Room Tip: higher rooms stay in hotel not apartments
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just returned from Tsokkos Garden Apartments on 16th September, we stayed here as a base for attending a wedding in Protaras, what a great choice we had made. Check in was quick and the receptionist was was polite and very informative, food was probably the best I've had in a all inclusive and I've been on a few all inclusive holidays, something for everyone and breakfast is superb well done to the chefs, I read reviews before travelling and was a little scared of what to expect but please don't let these negative reviews put you off I can gaurantee you will have a super holiday. Maybe apartments do need updating but they were clean with fresh towels each day, one little snag was I only really drink lager and was finding it difficult to get the local keo lager down without a little lemonade in or a touch lime, Pool was clean and large, no need to rise to early for sun beds unless you want the same spot each day, bar staff, waiting staff and cleaners all very polite and spoke English very well, Julie on the main bar and bar supervisor Antonias were excellent, Angela on the snack bar was also very polite and cheerful so was the young lad who worked with her, Entertainment daytime and evening was just non stop, the entertainment team Elise, Ainsley and Paris are an absolute credit to this place they are just on the go morning noon and night, I would go as far to say they are the best entertainment team ive came across on any holiday in the past. They make you feel so welcome and involved and go out of there way to help, they made our holiday that little bit extra special. Also Faye our rep was always on hand if we needed her, we would definitely return to this hotel in the future if the team was the same and recommend to anyone wanting a fun packed holiday in the sun with lots of craziness. Keep up the great work your doing Thomas Cook Reps you really made our holiday, thanks so much!!

Room Tip: Choose a pool facing room as others are a bit shady.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family