“Great holiday but hotel needs a revamp”

Artemis Hotel Apartments
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
Wolverhampton
“Great holiday but hotel needs a revamp”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just got back from an 11 day all inclusive holiday staying in the Artemis apartments.
I was there with my wife and 2 of my kids a boy aged 15 and a girl aged 9
We all hade a great holiday but there were one or two things that were not brilliant
As stated on other posts the air conditioning is free in the bed room but as there were 4 of us we had 2 sleeping in the lounge area,which was 5 euro a day extra as I am a little careful with the money I thought we would see what it was like with just the air con in the bedroom and leaving the door open into the lounge. This worked a treat but the unit was very noisy.The bathroom was a bit smelly and to be honest the whole hotel is in need of a make over.Quick note while I remember I thought it wes the Germans who put the towels on the sunbeds....Dont you believe it I heard some one saying that they got up at 4am to put the towels on! It was the height of the season when we were there so it was busy and even though there were lots of sun beds you had to be quick to get a spot. As with the hotel the sunbeds need a make over as many were broken.
Now thats enough moaning the pool area and pool was lovely there is also an indoor pool which was cooler than the outdoor one. The bar was good and you could basically eat and drink all day and night (untill 12 midnight anyway) The food was fab and if you like alot of it as I do you will love it! the day time entertainment team were good if you like that sort of thing and my 9 year joined in with the kids club most days.
Fig tree bay is around 7 euro each way in a taxi and is well worth a visit we went twice loads of water sports and beautiful beach and sea.
The weather was fantastic, it never fell below 100 degrees and was almost as hot in an evening as in the day!
The evening entertainment in the hotel was not good to be honest, kids disco was nice followed by bingo then either an act of some description or audience participation type thing, we played cards every night with the kids so was fine for us.
About a 10 minute walk to the strip so very handy there is a newsagent across the road for the morning paper the Sun is 2 euro.Booked a trip to the waterpark through the Thomas Cook Rep, I dont usually do this but having already checked the entrance fee on the net it was cheaper and we got picked up and dropped off as well! It is a fantastic day out it is a lovely park check it out on the net just tap in aiya napa water park, if you go on you tube and enter fig tree bay there is a video of the beach which gives you a good idea how good it is.
To sum up Cyprus fantastic, Artemis good but needs a little work to make it great, I hope to go again to Cyprus and if the hotel is renovated would return there to. Dont let me put you off ,it wes a great holiday and a good hotel just as long as you know what to expect, As the old saying goes "You get ehat you pay for"

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ChalkieWolverhampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Neath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

First impressions late in the evening were not good. Cyprus was in the middle of a heatwave and the reception and communal areas had no aircon or fans - a bad start!
However, the rooms were ok, tired but clean towels changed regularly, some cleaned more frequent than others. Our beds were mortuary slab hard, i had to request a camp mattress on top in order to get a little comfort and as for the camp bed every pole could be felt! The air con worked very well and was welcome in such heat. 20 euro is returned at end of stay. Pool area could be better, lots of loungers broken, but no problem in getting beds, the grass area was nice. The whole pool area could have looked a lot more presentable if other holidaymakers tidied up thier rubbish and it was just in need of a makeover. Bar and waiting staff very helpful and pleasant and very prompt for service. We were A/I and the food although not a lot of choice was in part quite tasty, salads always good, snacks basic, if you have a sweet tooth, desserts poor. Dining room did have aircon. Entertainment, you need to go out for the evening, some of the larger crowds would provide us with thier own - got a bit rowdy at times but we were in August and it was also a Cypriot holiday and yes they were LOUD. Day activities the kids would enjoy if they like killer pool/darts etc. Overall you get what you pay for, we still enjoyed our holiday depends what you expect from yours.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

After reading the reviews I was not expecting the Ritz and the hotel more or less met my expectations of it, we stayed for fourteen nights on the all inclusive basis.

The room was larger than normal hotel rooms and was pretty clean. The air conditioning was charged at 5 euro per day and as there is no written documentation stating this price is appears that it changes depending on what date you travel. I can't understand the moans about the charge when it clearly states in the brochure that there is an additional charge for this service. I however do not agree with having to pay the charge for a 'living area' when it is infact a room used for guests to sleep in so is infact another bedroom, you also leave a 20 euro deposit for the remote control for the unit.

I found the food in the hotel to be of very good to excellent quality although the range(especially the deserts) was very limited compared to other properties we have stayed in. We were there for fourteen nights and only on one night could I not find a hot meal that I liked. The restaurant staff were very friendly and hardworking, yes they may well clear your plate a little quick but it's got to be far better than leaving dirty plates lying around. Snacks were replenished regularly and were pretty much exactly the same as any other AI hotel. Afternoon tea and cakes never appeared during our two week stay and the regular barbecue as advertised in the brochure also never appeared although I did locate it behind some bushes so it was obvious that it had not been used for a very long time, if at all judging by the state of it.

Entertainment in the hotel during the day was okay and on an evening very poor. The entertainers really did try their best but they had nothing to work with at all and their job must have been very difficult if not impossible at times. Entertainment was therefore often geared to the larger more mouthy groups which was fine if you liked the sound of their voices as much as they obviously did but sadly this was not the case for us and many other guests. The first week everyone was included in the friendly groups and we felt really welcome the second week it felt like the new arrivals were running the place and everything had to centre around them or not at all!

Bar service was pretty good most of the time but again many felt that the service was better 'If your face fit' and children were ignored on many occasions while trying to get a drink. Drinks were of a good quality and would be topped up a little more to be stronger if you asked.

The location of the hotel was very poor with a long walk to the beach or main resort area and the direct area around the hotel was mainly wasteland that was used as a dumping ground for rubbish.

The rooms were cleaned every one or two days and the bedding was changed regularly although you had no idea what time this would be done and did not have a do not disturb sign., The pool and area were cleaned every morning and apart from the pool toilets everywhere was pretty clean. Sun longers were available most of the time around the pool but you had the odd ignorant person who would reserve theirs overnight. There is no lifeguard on duty and the pool was a free for all for using inflatables etc which was fine but when it was busy it did get a bit packed.

This is a love it or don't like it but put up with it anyway kind of hotel, many guests were regular guests where the newbies seemed to all have the opinion that they would return to Protaras but not this hotel. Pick the hotel up and pop it into Spain and it would be a rockbottom priced property put it in Cyprus and it was way overpriced although of course still pretty much the cheapest in the area.

I would return to Protaras but not to this hotel. If you really love the area and this hotel is the only one within budget like it was for us at the time then it is okay but for me I did not love the area enough to justify staying in this particular hotel again. I would either go for a more expensive hotel option or simply choose a different country altogether where I would get much better value for money.

We did meet some really lovely people but with some guests taking over the place the second week was a bit of a drag for everyone concerned and there was lot of rolling eyes type moments.

We did have a powercut aswell and I can confirm that the hotel does now have suitable emergency lighting to the rooms.

So yes it's okay but nothing more and the best thing about the place is the hardworking staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed one night in this hotel and luckily our Thomas Cook rep managed to swap our hotel. The hotel was shabby, dirty and lifeless. The staff were unhelpful and miserable. If we were unable to move hotels we would have been distraught. There was minimal entertainment, the hotel was empty, no children and just lifeless. It felt strange and having a children it didn't feel warm, safe or cozy. We had booked and paid for all inc and when we arrived they said we had to pay extra for air con, what a rip off! My advise to anyone thinking of booking with this hotel is to steer clear, especially if you have children.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SarahBEssex
Nicosia, Cyprus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel is very old and need renovation. The air condition in the room is very old and makes so much noise that you think there is a helicopter outside of your room. The bathroom needs to be change. In the first time that I open the water, the water it was very dirty (it was red) and I left it for 20 minutes open until the water to be clean. When you having a bath the water does not goes down immediately but after 15-20 minutes. Also, it is A category hotel apartment and there is no TV in the room. General, I am very disappointed from the hotel that I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank m7s

Travelers are raving about these Protaras hotels

Chesterfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

We were greeted friendly by the receptionist, very early in the morning and this was consistant throughout our stay. The rooms were ample, very clean, as was the Hotel in general. We were short of towels and the aircon remote didn't work, but these were quickly rectified. The food was generally good to excellent and always hot, although the snacks were a little boring, it was made up with proper ice cream and milkshakes for the kids. The kids entertainment team led by 'Kelly' and included ' Luke' and 'Sarah' were very good considering they were quite young, they helped in everyway and knitted most guest together that wanted it. All in all an excellent hotel for famillies...couples could find a quieter place by the pool but I would recommend they ventured out for the entertainment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank ppolly66
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

After reading several negative reviews on tripadvisor for a hotel i'm planning on booking, i decided to check the review of a hotel i stayed in (Artemis) and to my suprise Artemis had a negative evaluation.

Artemis is a very clean,friendly and funny hotel.The staff are very friendly and mostly bilingual.And i can assure this as a solo traveller in other places you hardly get noticed.The apartments are very big and clean, my apartment was inland view and i loved it!!

The bar staff are very friendly and the visitors too - it's very adequate for solo travellers and families- My only drawback was the food which i didnt enjoy it and was a little pricy as i was meant to selfcater.Also i had to deposit 20 euros i think for the aircondition remote , and there was no tv or radio !!!!! If only this hotel could be moved to Nicosia it would have been perfect for the price and the staff.
The pool is very clean and the hot lifeguards are very helpful-The entertainment is very chessy but funny-It is a 10minute walk from the beach,shops and the bars in protaras-

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo