“Good value for your money, don't believe all the bad reviews”
Review of Antigoni Hotel

Antigoni Hotel
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the antigoni in September and had a really good stay on arrival there was quite a number of us and only one receptionist on duty ( though we did arrive at 3 in the morning ) so this couldn't be and he did his best to get us all roomed as quickly as possible, there was no bar open to get a cold drink at this time of the morning but anothe person working kindly got us 2 glasses of cold water and filled a bottle up for us all from a water machine and this was appreciated by us, the rooms were standard but nice and clean and the tv had English channels with films showing aswell as the news channels, there was a small fridge which was handy for drinks and snacks, bathroom was a good size for us aswell and the maids came everyday with fresh towels and to clean the room, the food was very good and I'm a fussy eater the breakfast was excellent with a full English everyday they even had fried bread, there was also pastries, which were very nice, fresh fruit aswell as tinned fruit and cereals and tea, coffee and orange juice and apple juice, and breakfast was served between 7am and 10am, there was also snacks through the day but we didn't bother with these as breakfast was enough to see us until tea, tea was also very nice with a good selection and variety of food they also had carvery meat everyday aswell as fish all these were tasty, they also cooked local dishes which we enjoyed, the soup for was very tasty and for the two weeks we stayed we had 10 different soups and all were good, desserts consisted of ice cream, jelly, fresh fruit, and a choice of cakes and gateaux which were nice but very rich, tea was served from 6.30pm until 9pm, the pool was very big the biggest we have seen and there were plenty of sunbeds, the entertain ment was poor the entertainers name was Amanda and all she knew was how to play water polo, although darts and pool were advertised she didn't do any of these, nor did she bother with the children, she did her water polo in the morning for half an hour and the same in the afternoon and then disappeared until it was time for bingo at 9pm, oh she did do water aerobics twice in two weeks and was advertised every day, she just seemed very lazy for an entertainer, though we wouldn't call her an entertainer, the hotel was right on the main strip which was good and only 5mins from the beach, the trips were also good we would recommend the black pearl pirate boat trip, and the camel market and also the magical dancing waters which was opposite our hotel by McDonald's, the walk along the beach is very nice with lots of places to stop and have a drink, also visit fig tree bay which is about a 15-20min walk and is very pretty, protaras is very nice and is also clean and you can walk past bars and shops and restaurants without people hassling you to come in which makes the holiday more enjoyable and you can look forward to going out without getting nagged to "come in" we would recommend protaras and the antigoni hotel to people as its well worth what we payed for, as for the people who have wrote bad reviews, they were expecting 5* when they obviously didn't pay for a 5*, so if you are thinking of booking the antigoni hotel go ahead and book it, perhaps it could do with a lick of paint here and there but that doesn't bother us we are not that petty, and nearly forgot to mention the staff all of who were polite and had smiles on them all day and night, so thank you very much to the staff of the antigoni hotel

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Woodyslisa

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My holiday at the Antigoni was 29/9/2012 to 7/10/2012. I booked my holiday about 9 months ago and the reviews were very good, since then the reviews have regressed. If you are going to the Antigoni,dont worry its ok. Yes the hotel needs a refurb but it is clean with maid service daily. The food is typical of all inclusive there are lots of selections to choose from. The service we got from the staff was excellent and friendly with a special mention to George from Bulgaria. The pool area is lovely, get a lounger on the far side of the pool as the sun stays there the longest. The location is first class in the middle of the strip but far enough away for peace. the beach is golden sand five minutes walk. we have a few beers out a couple of nights running, it isnt to pricey ranging from 1.8 to 3 euros for a larger,

1  Thank markianstevens
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have just got back from here for a week's half board with family. We went here 7 years ago when the hotel was Thomson Gold and on returning, it is clear that the decor is now very dated and in need of renewing. Although having dated decor, both our rooms were clean, towels changed regularly and food was better than people are complaining about. Staff are friendly and happy to help.

Rooms - Initially the fridge in one of our rooms was not cold and we did not have a phone in the rooms. On reporting this to reception at approx. 2000hrs, both these issues were resolved that same evening.

Food - On being on half board basis, we only ate breakfast and evening meals at the hotel restaurant. Breakfast consisted of usual items; cooked breakfast items, toast, fruit, cake, hot drinks, juices. There was plenty of choice at evening meals too with soup, pasta dishes, meat dishes, fish dishes, vegetables, chips, potatoes, salads, desserts, icecream, fruit. On occasions there were some dishes which were not as hot as you would expect them to be but on the whole the food was hot and there was plenty of choice. Whilst away, one of our party celebrated a birthday. As a result of this, we decided to go out for a meal for the occasion. Having been recommended to me by one of my friends, we decided to go to the Blue Spice restaurant in Paralimni. This is a short distance away from the hotel, only 8 euros in a taxi. I would definately recommend this place if venturing out for a meal, fantastic food and reasonably priced.

Pool - We only spent one day by the pool as we are fans of the beach. There were no complaints of the pool or the pool area. There were plenty of beds available and the area was clean. The pool is a nice size too, looked a lot bigger in comparison to others we saw whilst there.

Location - This hotel is ideally located at the rear of the main Protaras strip (without any noise from the bars in that area) and within walking distance to the nearest beach. The strip has many different bars / restaurants to enjoy with many have live music/ sport to choose from. I'd definately recommend catching the Freddie Mercury tribute if you get chance. Beware of some of the places selling 2 euro cocktails as these do taste a bit watered down. For great cocktails go to either Ripples or Sfinx bar which are both at the McDonalds end of the strip on the corners. Sfinx has some great live music, again look out for the band Lithos...very good! Their cocktails range in price from 3 to 5 euros and taste fantastic...I'd recommend the frozen strawberry daiquiri.

Beaches - As we were only half board, we ventured out to the beach on most days. The nearest beach is only a 5 minute walk away. If you walk a bit further along, you get to Fig Tree Bay. This beach is definately recommended! Clear blue sea and clean beach. The water is that clear that you can see the fishes swimming around you. I'd recommend this beach more as there are no rocks / seaweed when entering. There is an island near to this beach which you can swim to. If you've got snorkelling equipment use it here, lots of fishes to been seen. There are plenty of places to grab something to eat / drink at both beaches, some are more reasonably priced than others. Stavros watersports are recommended on Fig Tree Bay, lots on offer and again reasonably priced.

We did not do any excursions this time as we had done a couple when we visited previously.

I would describe this hotel as average, which 3 stars encompasses. As with all things, you get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and my parents stayed here for a week from 19th September.

Good points: weather amazing, the bar staff and reception staff were good/friendly. The location is good, close to the beach and strip of bars and restaurants. Pool area is nice (just don't look at it too closely!)

Bad points: food was pretty poor, u could find something to eat but we chose to eat out every other night. Sun beds were quite comfy and although a member of staff arranged them neatly every night, they never once thought to wash them down, they were dirty and sticky. The plastic tables in the outside pool area are black (should be white), u won't want to eat the ice cream on all inclusive as the water the scoop is kept in is so dirty u can't see the scoop in it! My main issue was how disgusting the rooms were, we knew they would be dated but a lot of reviews said they were clean, unfortunately ours wasn't! When we first arrived it seemed clean, bed was comfy enough but pillow terrible so we requested another one which was provided no problems. We couldn't quite work out whether the addition pillow was full of spanners or apples but they were really bad. My bed sheets were so old they were covered in 'bobbles', not a pleasant experience! The hair dryers are rubbish, I had to wash my hands after using it as it was sticky/dirty, room wasn't dusted in a week and towels not changed for a week, we did complain about the towels, reception apologised but all they did was hang up the dirty towels again. We had a laminate floor which was swept, but merely into a corner of the room into a neat pile, mirror in the bathroom was rusty and door frames rotten and mouldy. The worst thing was that on the last night of our stay I couldn't cope with the 'bobbly' pillow case any longer, the other pillow case (the one full of spanners) was better so I thought I would swap them, I wish I hadn't, I went to remove it and noticed that my pillow was covered in black mould, not nice. The fridge in our room was mouldy and leaked water, there was permanently a yellow puddle of water under the door so we made sure we only used it for the odd bottle of water. The hallways/corridors are really bad, covered in stains and absolutely no attempt has been made to clean them. Entertainment crap but that didn't bother us, I don't go on holiday for the entertainment and from the reviews I was expecting it to be bad. The air con worked fine but every time we switched it on a smell of cigarette smoke came out of it so we didn't use it. The restaurant's tables and chairs are all wonky with bits of paper under pretty much every table to stop them from wobbling, also pretty much all the plates and cups are chipped on the side or bottom so not a particularly nice dining experience. Al la carte restaurant is advertised but non existent, if it had been open I don't think I'd have gone in it anyway, we didn't visit the sauna and jacuzzi, we decided we'd seen enough dirt and didn't want to see any more. Lastly, the toilets for pool/bar use are disgusting, one of the doors doesn't lock, for 2 days there was no soap in the ladies and the toilets were disgusting, they weren't cleaned at all, I stopped using them in the end.

This hotel is advertised as a 3*+, so we weren't expecting 5* BUT there is no excuse for the hotel being filthy, I will be writing to our tour operator to complain and asking them to review it.

Believe it or not, i'm not normally one to complain, but my advice to anyone thinking of booking this hotel is don't bother, book somewhere else, It's a shame as the staff (apart from the cleaners) were all great so the hotel is letting them down. Would I ever stay here again - never, unless it had a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel first two weeks in September 2012. The hotel is dirty and dusty, room not dusted once in two weeks. Sheets only changed once in two weeks and only after requesting this. Fridge absolutely filthy and leaking water. I got serious ear and throat infecion from pool and had to stay in hospital and other hotel guests at same hospital with same infection from swimming pool. Still ill from infection from swimming pool five weeks on. Maids swept dirty water into the pool each morning (got this caught on video). Food very, very salty and not nice. Staff and Managers unprofessional and uncaring. Could not speak English and just walked off if they could not understand. Bed extremely hard and uncomfortable and dirty pillows. Furniture tatty and bathroom mouldy. Air conditioning unclean, so what was I breathing in? and insects coming out of it. Cost £2000.00 for half board, two people, total waste of money.

Cyprus and Protarus are nice and weather very hot but what an awful experience this hotel was, I have been traumatised and was supposed to be on holiday.

7  Thank Lindylou17
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The food was a little repetitive but was at an acceptable quality, the staff were friendly, apart from the bulgarian cleaners who are not to be trusted in the rooms as we had our mobile phone stolen immediatly after we left the cleaner in the room, and they seemed to have shown they target on young people and use excuses like the were drunk. A big warning as all valuables should be locked away. Also the cleaners are very rude and showing there unhappiness to guests as they clearly are not happy with changing sheets and cleaning toilets!

Now for the entertainment, if i had tro put a price on it, it would be worth more than the hotel and flights put together, as Amanda and Nona showed a brilliant welcoming to the hotel of all the guests from day one of our holiday. I can not even begin to describe how wonderfull theses two girls were, from bingo nights, to quiz nights to volly bal etc,,,,
They were a pleasure to have around and definately help to take away the bitterness when our phone went missing from the room.

We would definately come back providing Amanda and Nona (entertainment) are still around!

2  Thank Christopher V
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have been back in the UK now for 3 weeks and missing Cyprus very much! The food is appropriately traditional and the service was to standard. The hotel is however aesthetically outdated and perhaps in timely need for a touch of 2012!

I did however get my phone stolen by the cleaner, an unfortunate account of theft that remains unsolved but leads me to advice holiday makers to keep belongings as safe as possible!

Apart from that I highly enjoyed my first ever holiday resort experience, which mainly sits responsible to the two absolutely outstanding and genuine entertainers Amanda and Nona! From a slow and somewhat clueless first few days they truely elevated us into a dynamic and unforgettful weekend of volleyball, kareoke, clubbing on the strip and most importantly an opportunity for real friendship!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends