“Great place if you are on budget”

Debbie Xenia Hotel Apartments
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent 10 days with my husband at the hotel by the end of September 2012. It's true it needs refurbish, especially the bathroom and it can be cleaned better but we found it good. We were on budget, we ate few times at the hotel and it was correct, sometimes tasty. We didn't have breakfast, we catered for ourselves most of the times. We had the linens and towels changed frequently and the room superficially cleaned but it was fine with us as we couldn't but bring some sand from the beach in our shoes how ever we tried not to. The beds were comfy. We had extra pillows with no cover and we simply asked Nicos who gave us what we needed immediately. The staff were very nice. The pool was clean when there was clean people around, not leaving smokes, etc everywhere. Anyway, the gardener cleaned every day at 7h in the morning around the pool and he missed some places sometimes. With all kinds of people coming to Debbie Xenia, it's a miracle the furniture is still in this shape. I understand why Nicos wouldn't put new kitchen tools. We saw people trashing, spitting, eating and drinking in the pool while it was forbidden.
We went to Lidl (by the bus to protaras - ask the driver to point out the best place to reach it) to buy our food because it was much cheaper than the supermarkets around and more fresh.
We will definitely go back to this hotel because we were not looking for a luxury stay. We simply wanted to feel at ease and not worried about spotting or damaging something. We could hang our towels and wet clothes everywhere on the chairs and on the balcony without worries. And a nice beach was just nearby. It was a wonderful relaxing holiday and we enjoyed every moment of it. We went to the airport in a bus-taxi arranged by Nicos for around 12 Euros per person. It was rather quick. Oh and we came to Debbie Xenia by bus, it cost us 4 Euros (together instead of 55 Euros by taxi) from the airport till the hotel. We had prepared our maps and researched everything and got the bus times at the information desk at the airport. The bus had AC and a place for luggage and it was comfortable. If you are on budget look for "Cyprus by bus' on the internet, it might be very helpful, they give you also all the details at the information desk at the airport but it's better to be prepared.
Hope you have a nice stay like we did!

Room Tip: "The rooms ending with 01 will have the sun all day because they are on the corner and it might...
6  Thank RosyAB

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Yes its basic, but what do you expect for the money pay. The rooms are not very clean if you look closely, like the top of the splashback tiles in the kitchen, thick with grime. The shower is the worse ever, hanging off the wall and the water dribbles out, nightmare when you have long hair to wash. They don't have bath plugs either so if you like a bath then little tip for you, take a plug. There is only one small frying pan or a huge pan but as the only meal we eat in is breakfast this was sufficient. The pool was cleaned a few times but the pool side wasn't so every time you put your feet on the floor and then back on your sun lounger your towel would be full of grit. The hotel was full while we were there, but it was very quiet. We didn't pay for the air conditioning, instead we left our balcony and room door open and this created a wind tunnel right through the room, this worked great because the hotel and its guests were so quiet. Another tip, if you book your accommodation direct with the hotel it is cheaper and they include the air con in the price. I would stay here again if I went to Cyprus purely because I only use the room to sleep and get changed but if you like your home comforts then its not for you

2  Thank Sam F
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This 3 floored hotel with 1 lift which can take 4 adults is located away from the hustle and bustle of the town.The lift was always working.I found it very peaceful.The rooms are spacious and well equipped with fridge and gas cooker.There was no microwave though.Air conditioning consists of 1 unit sited in the bedroom at a cost of 5 euros/day.It works reasonably well with low/mid/high settings.There was good control of lighting in the bedroom by means of switches above the headboard of the bed.Some light bulbs were missing from the sockets however.Some fixtures and fittings need either repaired or replaced.The shower head bracket is very close to the extractor fan and this means that when showering the shower head must always be held by your hand.Food at the hotel is a little pricey and does not compare favourably to eating out at a restaurant both in quality and price.I often saw cigarette ends and drink cans littering around the pool area.I felt that the pool could have been cleaner.I never saw it being cleaned during a 1 week stay but maybe I missed this.
The staff are very friendly and usually are smiling but at the same time do a professional job and will do there best to help you.For all the hotel suits everyones needs,I feel it best suits the family unit or a group of friends.This may be in part because the hotel does not have entertainment in the evening or during the day at the pool.

Room Tip: Choose either floor 2 or floor 3 and ask for sea view.Note however the sea is some distance of,perha...
3  Thank Ramboray
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Ive just come back from a weeks stay and Debbie Xenia and I don't quite understand who has stayed here before and what their standards are after reading people's reviews.. The rooms are more than basic, the furniture needs throwing out and updating. The bathroom is covered in mould. It's a joke to expect people to pay €5 a day for air conditioning. The towels were so old and stained and only changed once in a weeks stay. The extra pillows had no covers and were filthy. This hotel was by far cheap and I expect more for my money. The breakfasts were good and the location is great with the bus stop at the top of the road but that's about as far as it goes for anything good about this hotel. The staff were miserable and the owner often rowing with his staff in front of guests. The pool furniture has seen better days and we didn't sit around it once, why would you when you have amazing beaches near by. I don't understand how people go back year after year. Yes you get used to the basicness of the place pretty quickly but I'd like a little more comfort on my holiday. I wouldn't be going back here but if all you're after is dated, basic accommodation then you'll have no problems here.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank chantal f
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Returned home 5/9/2012 after a week stay. We read the reviews and agreed we only needed a base so the comments about a re-furb never put us off, however up on arrival we were pleasently surprised : ) Yes the place is slightly dated in some parts but after speaking with Niccos the owner he said that what ever new things he puts in the rooms just get trashed i'e kettles and toasters etc, which is why he now makes a charge for them. We stayed half board and can honestly say we only ate out twice and that was because we was out. The food is great. The pool and surrounding were lovely and clean and it was a shock to see more then 6 people around it the whole week, we spent 2 days just chilling poolside. We paid 35 euros for air con for the week ( I would strongly recommend) Our room was cleaned 4 times in the week and bedding and towels changed 3 times, which I didn't think was bad at all, I am a proud clean freak at home and I managed with the level of cleaning so didn't see a problem. Niccos was very helpful when it came to car hire, he made a call to his friend who brought us a car the next day which cost us 125 euros for 3 days and then came and collected it, we got discount through Niccos so worth bearing in mind if your looking to hire. The hotel is just 5 minutes from the beach which is lovely, a little rocky in parts of the water but still lovely. If you want a great beach then take a trip to Nissi beach in Aiya Napa it's out of this world. Head to Protaros itself if you want busy night life, there is so much there and takes about 10 minutes by bus, but if you don't want to venture to far then head for Knights Pub just up the road from the hotel, the food,drink and customer service is fantastic and don't forget to try and work your way through their great and very funny cocktail list, there are 14 in total, we staggered back to the hotel many times : ) There are plenty of supermarkets if your self catering which are very well stocked and cheap. All in all we were after a chill out holiday but somewhere to dip and in and out of the night life if we wanted, we got everything we wanted and will definatley go back and take the kids next time, there is a pool table and computer games to keep them occupied if your poolside.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vanessa e
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have just returned from Debbie Xenia and we had an amazing time!! I was really dubious after reading some of the reviews but I would definately return. I do agree that the place could probably do with a little refurb and the cleaners could make a little more effort when cleaning the rooms but I think there were only 2 cleaners doing the whole complex, so I do sympathise!! Nicos (the owner) and his wife made us extremely welcome. I must also mention George. He did his utmost to ensure that everyone enjoyed themselves.....he always had a joke to tell and set up regular pool tournaments, which went down well (the only downfall was him being a Man Utd fan!!). I must also mention Nico...He always ensured we were ok and that our glasses were full. Anything we needed to know he would help us out. We booked in for bed and breakfast as there are so many restaurants and bars within a couple of minutes walk away. The breakfasts set us up for the day and are served between 8 and 11 am. This was great for us not wanting to get up too early!! The pool was spotless and you could always get a sun-bed. We stayed round the pool most days as for the 2 weeks we were there it was Cypriut holidays (this meant the beaches were jam packed). At the end of the day for the money you pay here it is well worth it. We had friends who were staying at a Villa close by...all the staff made them extremely welcome too. My husband and son (10 years old) also loved it. We wil definatley return.....Thanks to all the staff for a fab holiday at the Debbie Xenia!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at Debbie Xenia for 6 nights and what i can say is that the staff are friendly and really make you feel welcome, giving you a great impression of Cyprus. The rooms are spacious and the air condition works wonders, however you do have to pay for each day you use it, which I believe should be included as standard with accommodation. The hotel is pretty standard and nothing special and could do with a much needed refurbishment, great looking pool but could do with re-tiling. If you are looking for somewhere decent to stay and not fussy about looks then this is the hotel for you, however if you enjoy the high life then an upgrade should be desired.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple