“A beautiful hotel”

Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Derby, United Kingdom
“A beautiful hotel”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just back from a week at the Capo Bay Hotel, and can't fault a thing. Travelled in a party of 3 ladies, myself and 19 year old daughter along with my friend. We were treated so well throughout the hotel and made to feel very special. Our room overlooked the beautiful Fig Tree Bay, and although perhaps a little on the small side, it was quite adequate. Fresh bedding, towels and dressing gowns as often as we wanted, along with high quality toiletries replenished every day.

Breakfast and dinner were both outstanding, every day, with so much choice and variation the biggest problem was choosing what to eat. The champagne with breakfat, sitting on the terrace with the marvellous view was just stunning.

We used the Spa every day, and again, the staff were lovely with fresh towels aplenty.

Both pool areas were lovely, and the opportunity to choose and reserve your sunbeds for the whole of your holiday was great.

The weather got better and better throughout the week, and the village of Proteras slowly opened up during our stay. Lots of bars to choose from, with a variety of entertainment available only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

A lovely, lovely holiday and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rooms for 3 people are actually 2 person rooms with an extra bed, hence the size, so worth beari...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I went to Capo Bay for 7 nights from 5th April with my wife, 2 kids (4 and 2) and another family of 4. In summary, we had a really lovely time and I would recommend the hotel.

Early April is clearly off-season in Protaras. When we arrived the whole town felt like a ghost town, although it got visibly busier as the week progressed. Apparently the hotel had only been open for the season for a couple of weeks and it did feel a bit like that. Overall, the staff were very good but there were a few who seemed very new and didn't know what they were doing. The weather was generally good. It was about 20 - 23 degrees during the day and quite a bit cooler at night. At around 1pm every day while we were there, a chilly wind blew up which was a bit annoying but it generally calmed down around 3.30pm. We wore shorts and T-shirts (or less) the whole week. It was very comfortable sunbathing weather, without getting TOO hot.

There are 2 pools at Capo Bay - a standard rectangular, heated 'adults' pool and a bigger pool with a shallow section for kids which is surrounded by a mock rock formation and a deeper section with a pool bar. Although the 'adults' pool is theoretically for adults only, I believe kids are allowed in it for the month of April as the other pool can be a bit too cold. However, it's not great for small kids as the shallower end of the adults pool is still relatively deep. I'd say it was about 1.3m, so my 4 year old couldn't stand on the bottom which meant one of us had to be in there with him. The bigger pool can be pretty chilly, but if the sun is shining, it's fine once you are in. I'm sure it will be perfect later in the season.

We spent adult time relaxing around the pools, but mostly went down to the beach with the kids. The beach is really beautiful. A lovely sandy beach and a serene and perfectly clear sea. It is right in front of the hotel. It takes maybe 2 minutes to get from your room to the beach so very convenient. When we were there, there were 3 or 4 times as many loungers as people, but I'd imagine it gets much busier during the warmer months. At the beach, there is also a watersports company (not connected to the hotel). We tried a bit of parasailing which was great fun.

We had standard land view interconnecting-rooms. The rooms were fine, but a bit basic and quite small. You can pay more to get a sea-view room which I believe is exactly the same spec but faces the sea. I would say that it is probably NOT worth paying a premium for the sea view. The hotel is angled to the shore-line so while the primary view from the land view rooms is of the town and the hills, you can still see the sea from the balcony. We were in 226 and 228 but I think any room from 220 upwards (or 120, 320, 420) would have had a good view. (200 -220 are further away from the sea and overlook the car park). Also, there is the big bonus that land side of the hotel gets the sun in the afternoon and evening. If you have a sea view room, it will be in shade for a good chunk of the day. The rooms were generally reasonably quiet but there was sometimes a bit of noise drifting up from the bar in the evening. I would imagine that there would be a bit more noise from the town as the season gets going.

Our friends have an 8 month old baby. They asked for a microwave to be put in the room so they could sterilise bottles etc, which the hotel was happy to do.

The restaurants in the hotel were good. We were on a half board deal which included breakfast and buffet dinner in the Elea restaurant. The buffet had a different theme each night. Some were better than others but generally the food was tasty, interesting and varied. Breakfast was also mostly good quality and there was a huge selection to choose from. There is an omelette station where you can get an omelette cooked to order and a mixture of hot and cold, British and European dishes. One downside was that pancakes and waffles were obviously microwaved rather than being cooked fresh. Probably best avoided. They also didn't put out much in the way of fresh fruit, but ask for it and they will bring it to you.

For lunch we alternated between eating at Mama's, the pool bar/restaurant and going to one of the nearby restaurants. Mama's is quite pricey and I would say that we had some pretty poor service a few times. We ate there 3 or 4 times and it took up to 30 mins for food to arrive (not good if you have hungry kids) and at least 3 times they got the order wrong. I think this was probably as a result of it being the beginning of the season with new staff etc. However, the quality of the food itself was very good. There are quite a few restaurants within 5 - 10 mins walk of the hotel and you can easily get a good meal for two thirds of the price of Mamas. There is also the Koi restaurant which we didn't eat at, but it is lovely for a sundowner cocktail before dinner.

What made our holiday was the Kids Club. Our initial impressions were that it was a small dark room and the first day it seemed that there were far too many kids for the small space. We spent the first morning feeling a little guilty and wondering whether we would be able to leave the kids there all day. However, our fears were soon allayed as the kids had a great time and were wonderfully looked after by Anna, the kids club manager. She is a really sweet lady and the kids loved her to bits. The kids club is open from 9.30 to 1pm and 1.30pm to 5pm Monday to Friday. Anna kept them occupied with lots of games and craftwork and the twice-daily feeding of the Koi fish around the hotel. By the end of the week, the kids were really sad to leave and gave Anna big hugs. There is also a kids disco from 8 to 8.30pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, also run by Anna, which is good fun.

The kids club is for 4 years and over but I overheard Anna tell a family that a 3 year old would probably be fine if they are used to a nursery/pre-school environment back home. We couldn't leave our 2 year old daughter with Anna unaccompanied, but we arranged for a babysitter (through Anna) to look after her in the kids club for 3 hours a day. This worked really well. The kids club is free but we paid EUR 10 an hour for the babysitter.

There are also other activities you can take advantage of. My wife went to the spa, which she said was good, and also went to a couple of the yoga/pilates classes, which she enjoyed. There is apparently a tennis court but we didn't use it.

Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing, enjoyable week. It is allegedly a 5 star hotel, but I would say that the rooms and some aspects of the service are more 4 star.

Room Tip: Land side rooms are fine but ask for one near the sea end if the hotel not over the car park.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Gavin c
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed for a week at Capo Bay from the 13th to the 20th of April. We had a duplex suite, which was modern and clean, if on the small side. Wi-fi is 15 euros per device, but we got it free as we were in a suite. The breakfast buffet was great with everything you could want from pancakes, cereal or a full English. It was off peak, meaning it was quieter than it would be in the summer, but we only had a couple of rainy days and the rest were warm amd certainly sunbathing weather! You reserve your sunbeds so there's no rush to get one on a morning, and clean beach towels are provided whenever you want. The hotel is on Fig Tree Bay, which has lovely yellow sand and clear sea.
We had a great stay at the Capo Bay and would thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Returned home a week ago having spent 7 very relaxing days at this lovely hotel. All areas are spotless,and all staff members polite ,courteous, friendly and very very helpful. They just cannot do enough for you. The hotel is situated right bedside the beach, which is also very clean. We stayed on a B and B basis and the breakfast buffet was amazing! Everything was fresh and there was a wide range to choose from. Perhaps instead of providing a mini bar in rooms, especially in hotter weather it would be better to be able to use the fridge to store water and be charged a nominal fee for using the fridge. We would definitely hope to return to this hotel and would most certainly recommend to family, and friends.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room and this was definitely worth the supplement for the beautiful view especiall...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annita L
Leeds
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Came back Wednesday after 7 days at this beautiful hotel ( myself and my husband ). The staff could not do enough to please ( special mention to Carmen who went out of her way to chat and make me feel at home )
The food was brilliant the pools in fact everything about this hotel was wonderful and I'm sure we will go back .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeedsBettsy
London
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing week away and we certainly were given that by Capo Bay. The hotel is perfectly positioned on the beautiful Fig Tree Bay with stunning views from our "superior" room (worth the premium), across the pool and the ocean. The staff were, without exception, friendly, helpful and professional at all times and made the experience all the better. The food from the the restaurants is excellent and offer good value. Although, out of season, for us, Protaras offered just the right balance of peace and quiet yet things to do. We would definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bandyrobs
UK
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I’ve just come back from 2 weeks holiday in Capo Bay.

In my opinion Protaras is the best place to have holiday in Cyprus. Location about 1 hour from airport, but you have real good beach, nice water and small villages for local history and local shopping.

We have chosen this hotel as per reviews on tour operator and tripadvisor.
I wasn’t impressed on arrival and I was a little bit grumpy first 2 days as I have bough 5* hotel as advertised on out tour operator, but when we gone to hotel it is actually 4-4.5* hotel, so obvious expectations were different.
Even so, the hotel is really good and myself, hubby with our 16y old son had very good relaxing holiday.
Our flight was late, so we missed our first dinner, but on arrival we were greeted in reception and offered some pizza from room service(10euros), as we were very hungry.

We had 2 rooms on the second floor, but when we arrived, we noticed small cupboard near one of the doors – explanation - that’s maiden’s room. My husband worried that it would be a little bit noisy every morning, but we been reassured by porter, she is not on duty until 9 am. After our first night as we expected from 7am it was noise outside and then we got up for breakfast, we opened door and stepped in the corridor in the middle of hoovers, housekeeping trolleys – we were not impressed at all!,, however in reception we been told we will be able to change rooms next day as that morning hotel was full for weekend.
We asked for “a quiet room”, next day we got 2 rooms on the first floor. They been all right, but over the window it was delivery gates - a little bit noisy in the mid day and on the last 3 days it was some noise as some building works started on the second week,.
When we were moved to the new room on the first night we noticed our conditioning system works only as a heater, so we slept with open balcony that worked in April, but I am not sure that would work in June - but we did not bother to ask to be moved again.

Rooms where basic, on the smaller side, but quite comfy and had everything you need. Beds were comfortable and we had a good night sleep. Bed linen were changed every other day, but you could request to be changed daily if put a special card on the bed. TV had a variety of channels in English, Russian, Turkish, Greek and etc.
Bathroom was small, but had a bath and weird working shower, porter needed to show how it works, Some toiletries were provided.
Décor in the rooms were fresh neutral and rooms were clean and tidy. House keeping was OK, but I find a little bit strange “saving” on toiletries and coffee – if there were any bottle of shampoo or body wash left – even 1/3 of the bottle – it won’t be replaced. Few evenings we had no coffee or milk as only 2 coffees 2 milk will be replaced and only if it was used!– what if I want a cup of coffee on the morning as well?

We had a half board, - breakfast and dinner we had in Elea restaurant.
Very good experience. Food always was tasty, fresh, good variety and quality. Persons in the food station were very accommodating, would assist you with a special fry of egg or will make your meat as asked and they speak and understand English.
Staff in the restaurant was very good and attentive - special thank you to Marius, Tove, Saga, Lako, Lina – you all made our stay very pleasant.
Only one warning – lots of birds – do not leave your table with food on it unattended as you will find a fiesta on your food without you!

In the beech you can reserve your sunbed, putting room number and date on the card – that was a brilliant idea as we did not need to rush with first sun to make sure we will get the place we want.
Good size main pool and few smaller were more than enough. Non heating pools, so water in the pool was cold on arrival, but warmed up by the end of 2 weeks,. All surroundings nicely decorated, tidy and all freshly painted. It had direct access to the sandy beach and water in the sea was not so cold as I though it would be!.
Beech towels were provided in exchange to beech towel cards provided by reception.
We had lunch in the beech Kois bar – very good quality food and nice Mojito’s! Staff very helpful, smiling and work hard to make you happy.
On the evening if you wish, you can have a nice drink and relax with live music in the Bitter Lemon Bar.

Hotel has well equipped SPA and small, basic 24 hours working gym.
SPA had sanarium, sauna and steam room (which was not steamy at all! and smelt a little bit funny), some ice and nice indoor pool.
Only one down side of hotel for me was SPA staff attitude. On arrival we find in the room 20euro vouchers each (60 euros) to be used in SPA. I gone to the SPA on the first morning to look what they offer, as SPA for me is important part of my relaxing holiday, but unfortunately I did not feel welcomed.
When I have asked about the treatments, I was given brochure to read instead of trying to explain and sell me something. I took pricelist as given (already had one in the room) and explain I would come back after I WILL READ and decide on treatments.
I was not impressed, so we looked around - few minutes walk by the beach we found 5*hotel SPA, we gone there been welcomed and explained what they do, offered to show around and explained about the treatment and products they use.
Back in the hotel I have compared the prices and treatments – they were almost the same price and I would say a little bit more on expensive side.
I made my package – treatments every other day – facials, massages, body treatments, manicure, pedicure and next morning gone to the SPA in Capo Bay. It was a different lady there, older. I have asked about SPA policy, would I get any discount (everyone wants even tiniest discount) if I will buy a few treatments instead of one. Lady was maybe in bad mood, but she said I should have 20 euro vouchers and that’s it. I have explained I will by treatments for 2 weeks for every second day and I have compared priced in this 4* hotel and 5* hotel 10 min walk and actually they use more expensive products and their treatments are very similar prices. She was not interested even to listen and told me quite rudely it is not up to her to make the prices…. That was the last time I was there – even I had 60 euros in vouchers, I had rather spent my 2 weeks treatments somewhere else as I felt not welcomed and I am not sure how I would feel after my treatment with such negative energy! SPA possibly needs a new manager or the minimum of client service attitude training. I spent my money in Sunrise Pearl SPA instead!

Reception was accommodating, and quite friendly but as improving tip from the management point - no one ever asked us maybe we would like a room upgrade when we were not happy with our first room (don’t mind paying extra if needed). On the other hand we been there 15 nights and some days hotel was buzzing, so maybe it was no such of possibility.
Check in was very quick and smoothly the same as check out – it was a tiny mistake on the statements, but it was corrected without any problems.
On the checking out day we were able to keep one of our rooms until 6pm free of charge as we had a late flight. That was brilliant!
Overall reception staff worked very hard to keep us happy.

Wifi internet was free in the lobby and if you lucky sometimes you can catch it in the restaurant or even near the pool, though even in reception signal was slow and constantly abrubting – cost lost of neurons!
Wifi in the rooms were subcharge- 15 euro for 7 days, but on the negative side if you have a laptop, an ipad, a phone – you need to purchase 3 different codes 3x15euro a week!!! That’s costly!

Only one bottle of mineral water is free of charge – only on arrival – that’s not acceptable in hot climate country and bottle of 1 L of water in the hotel 3,5 euro... in the supermarket outside 6 bottles x1.5L about 7euros... ( that's the most expensive one!)

Guest relationship sent us 2 bottles of Sparkling wine to our room as it was my Hubby’s and then mine birthday – very nice touch!

I would recommend this hotel for the families with children – nice beech, good pool and food, relaxing atmosphere.
If we would go back to Cyprus again, we would not hesitate to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family