“Fab - u - lous!”
Review of Capo Bay Hotel

Capo Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing week away and we certainly were given that by Capo Bay. The hotel is perfectly positioned on the beautiful Fig Tree Bay with stunning views from our "superior" room (worth the premium), across the pool and the ocean. The staff were, without exception, friendly, helpful and professional at all times and made the experience all the better. The food from the the restaurants is excellent and offer good value. Although, out of season, for us, Protaras offered just the right balance of peace and quiet yet things to do. We would definitely return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bandyrobs

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I’ve just come back from 2 weeks holiday in Capo Bay.

In my opinion Protaras is the best place to have holiday in Cyprus. Location about 1 hour from airport, but you have real good beach, nice water and small villages for local history and local shopping.

We have chosen this hotel as per reviews on tour operator and tripadvisor.
I wasn’t impressed on arrival and I was a little bit grumpy first 2 days as I have bough 5* hotel as advertised on out tour operator, but when we gone to hotel it is actually 4-4.5* hotel, so obvious expectations were different.
Even so, the hotel is really good and myself, hubby with our 16y old son had very good relaxing holiday.
Our flight was late, so we missed our first dinner, but on arrival we were greeted in reception and offered some pizza from room service(10euros), as we were very hungry.

We had 2 rooms on the second floor, but when we arrived, we noticed small cupboard near one of the doors – explanation - that’s maiden’s room. My husband worried that it would be a little bit noisy every morning, but we been reassured by porter, she is not on duty until 9 am. After our first night as we expected from 7am it was noise outside and then we got up for breakfast, we opened door and stepped in the corridor in the middle of hoovers, housekeeping trolleys – we were not impressed at all!,, however in reception we been told we will be able to change rooms next day as that morning hotel was full for weekend.
We asked for “a quiet room”, next day we got 2 rooms on the first floor. They been all right, but over the window it was delivery gates - a little bit noisy in the mid day and on the last 3 days it was some noise as some building works started on the second week,.
When we were moved to the new room on the first night we noticed our conditioning system works only as a heater, so we slept with open balcony that worked in April, but I am not sure that would work in June - but we did not bother to ask to be moved again.

Rooms where basic, on the smaller side, but quite comfy and had everything you need. Beds were comfortable and we had a good night sleep. Bed linen were changed every other day, but you could request to be changed daily if put a special card on the bed. TV had a variety of channels in English, Russian, Turkish, Greek and etc.
Bathroom was small, but had a bath and weird working shower, porter needed to show how it works, Some toiletries were provided.
Décor in the rooms were fresh neutral and rooms were clean and tidy. House keeping was OK, but I find a little bit strange “saving” on toiletries and coffee – if there were any bottle of shampoo or body wash left – even 1/3 of the bottle – it won’t be replaced. Few evenings we had no coffee or milk as only 2 coffees 2 milk will be replaced and only if it was used!– what if I want a cup of coffee on the morning as well?

We had a half board, - breakfast and dinner we had in Elea restaurant.
Very good experience. Food always was tasty, fresh, good variety and quality. Persons in the food station were very accommodating, would assist you with a special fry of egg or will make your meat as asked and they speak and understand English.
Staff in the restaurant was very good and attentive - special thank you to Marius, Tove, Saga, Lako, Lina – you all made our stay very pleasant.
Only one warning – lots of birds – do not leave your table with food on it unattended as you will find a fiesta on your food without you!

In the beech you can reserve your sunbed, putting room number and date on the card – that was a brilliant idea as we did not need to rush with first sun to make sure we will get the place we want.
Good size main pool and few smaller were more than enough. Non heating pools, so water in the pool was cold on arrival, but warmed up by the end of 2 weeks,. All surroundings nicely decorated, tidy and all freshly painted. It had direct access to the sandy beach and water in the sea was not so cold as I though it would be!.
Beech towels were provided in exchange to beech towel cards provided by reception.
We had lunch in the beech Kois bar – very good quality food and nice Mojito’s! Staff very helpful, smiling and work hard to make you happy.
On the evening if you wish, you can have a nice drink and relax with live music in the Bitter Lemon Bar.

Hotel has well equipped SPA and small, basic 24 hours working gym.
SPA had sanarium, sauna and steam room (which was not steamy at all! and smelt a little bit funny), some ice and nice indoor pool.
Only one down side of hotel for me was SPA staff attitude. On arrival we find in the room 20euro vouchers each (60 euros) to be used in SPA. I gone to the SPA on the first morning to look what they offer, as SPA for me is important part of my relaxing holiday, but unfortunately I did not feel welcomed.
When I have asked about the treatments, I was given brochure to read instead of trying to explain and sell me something. I took pricelist as given (already had one in the room) and explain I would come back after I WILL READ and decide on treatments.
I was not impressed, so we looked around - few minutes walk by the beach we found 5*hotel SPA, we gone there been welcomed and explained what they do, offered to show around and explained about the treatment and products they use.
Back in the hotel I have compared the prices and treatments – they were almost the same price and I would say a little bit more on expensive side.
I made my package – treatments every other day – facials, massages, body treatments, manicure, pedicure and next morning gone to the SPA in Capo Bay. It was a different lady there, older. I have asked about SPA policy, would I get any discount (everyone wants even tiniest discount) if I will buy a few treatments instead of one. Lady was maybe in bad mood, but she said I should have 20 euro vouchers and that’s it. I have explained I will by treatments for 2 weeks for every second day and I have compared priced in this 4* hotel and 5* hotel 10 min walk and actually they use more expensive products and their treatments are very similar prices. She was not interested even to listen and told me quite rudely it is not up to her to make the prices…. That was the last time I was there – even I had 60 euros in vouchers, I had rather spent my 2 weeks treatments somewhere else as I felt not welcomed and I am not sure how I would feel after my treatment with such negative energy! SPA possibly needs a new manager or the minimum of client service attitude training. I spent my money in Sunrise Pearl SPA instead!

Reception was accommodating, and quite friendly but as improving tip from the management point - no one ever asked us maybe we would like a room upgrade when we were not happy with our first room (don’t mind paying extra if needed). On the other hand we been there 15 nights and some days hotel was buzzing, so maybe it was no such of possibility.
Check in was very quick and smoothly the same as check out – it was a tiny mistake on the statements, but it was corrected without any problems.
On the checking out day we were able to keep one of our rooms until 6pm free of charge as we had a late flight. That was brilliant!
Overall reception staff worked very hard to keep us happy.

Wifi internet was free in the lobby and if you lucky sometimes you can catch it in the restaurant or even near the pool, though even in reception signal was slow and constantly abrubting – cost lost of neurons!
Wifi in the rooms were subcharge- 15 euro for 7 days, but on the negative side if you have a laptop, an ipad, a phone – you need to purchase 3 different codes 3x15euro a week!!! That’s costly!

Only one bottle of mineral water is free of charge – only on arrival – that’s not acceptable in hot climate country and bottle of 1 L of water in the hotel 3,5 euro... in the supermarket outside 6 bottles x1.5L about 7euros... ( that's the most expensive one!)

Guest relationship sent us 2 bottles of Sparkling wine to our room as it was my Hubby’s and then mine birthday – very nice touch!

I would recommend this hotel for the families with children – nice beech, good pool and food, relaxing atmosphere.
If we would go back to Cyprus again, we would not hesitate to stay in this hotel.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We came back again this year because we loved it so much. Even better this time! Everyone here is so friendly and there is a lovely atmosphere amongst the families on holiday here. Miss Anna at the kids club is truly amazing- our kids could not wait to go there every morning and this meant we could take longer over breakfast(with sparkling wine) before going for a walk or relaxing by the pool. So relaxing and within days, the stresses of the UK and work were a distant memory. Food is great and even better with the Dine Around option. We love the Koi bar for how chilled out it is- great wine too. Plenty of restaurants opening by the middle of April if you want to explore beyond the hotel, but as the days ticked by, we all became lazier and made Mama's our choice for fresh fish and calamari. We are missing the amazing views and already thinking about next Easter.

Room Tip: Even numbers have partial sea view and the sun all day, but face inland and could well be a bit nois...
1  Thank Lozandsteve
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our first family holiday abroad in years. We were greeted by extremely friendly and welcoming staff, this continued for the rest of our stay. The rooms were spacious and clean with a view of the sea. Only downside to the room was the occasional unpleasant smell when the patio doors to the balcony were opened (we kept ours shut). Reception staff always eager to help. We took part in many activites which included in aqua aerobics, tennis, yoga and table tennis. The keepfit instructor was very friendly and gave us an insight to new/different exercise regimes, only wish we joined in with the classes at the beginning of the holiday, highly recommend. The lady who ran the kids club was amazing, kind, helpful, lots of patients and always smiling. Outside areas, lovely and again very clean and well maintained, but both pools were cold, this may be due to out of season. Buffet breakfast and evening meal, lots of choices and enjoyed by all, overlooking stunning views. Large selection of drinks from bar, love the cocktails, but a little expensive. Beach was clean with water sports available. I would definitely return again. Thank you to all at Capo Bay for making our stay so wonderful.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Second year running we have stayed at this Hotel and would recommend it.
We stayed B+B and found the food and choice first class.
The whole Hotel is spotlessly clean and well kept.Drinks are a little expensive, but I think this is the same in most Hotels.
There are plenty of local places to eat.
If you choose the Capo bay you will not be disappointed

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2014

What can't I say about this hotel? It's breathtaking

As soon as you enter the whole hotel has the wow factor. The reception area is really pretty and there are some amazing views of the beach and pools all around the hotel, especially in the dining area.

The staff are fantastic, every single one of them were friendly and couldn't help you enough. On our first night we had a free drink of Commanderia, which was very nice.The one lady was kind enough to ring our transfer company for us to make sure we got picked up on time. We didn't fly out until 9PM and the lady at reception held the room for a few extra hours so we weren't traveling around with our luggage on our last day.

We had a standard double room which actually felt premium. The beds are massive and very comfy. The bathroom was very nice, had a nice large jacuzzi bath, a very posh shower with 5 heads and had plenty of toiletries to use.

The beach and pools are just stunning. The beach was very clean as is the water, its transparent unlike most places i've been. The one pool there seemed cold although I think one of the pools is unheated. I could spend all day next to these.

With the food, the things I liked I loved. The breakfast is perfect with plenty of fruit, english and french breakfast, pancakes and even help yourself sparkling wine. I really felt spoiled.

If I had to pick some bad points (really don't want to) but the drinks are expensive and the food wasn't always to my taste although I have boring taste in food. Anyhow this would really be nitpicking. None of this changed my opinion. This is as damn near perfect as a hotel can be

Tips for travellers:
They have UK plug sockets throughout Cyprus
They drive on the left side of the road like the UK
Food and drink can be bought very cheaply at Lidl, which is a nice 15 minute walk away
Going out for a meal? I'd highly recommend the Paladela next to the hotel. The food isn't too expensive and very tasty
Going out for drinks? The further you go down the road, the cheaper the prices are. I'd highly recommend the sphinx bar, there's also a nice pub opposite too. Both of which have cocktails at less than 3 euros each. These are 15 minutes walk away next to McDonalds
Ayia Napa is only 1 bus ride away and only costs 1.50 euros

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Fantastic time only let down by the iffy evening entertainment. I expect this is not a problem during high season as Protaras would have everything you need.
2 adults and 2 children (10 & 7). Really enjoyed our break at the hotel. Staff wonderful, very polite and helpful. Food excellent for buffet service with different theme each night giving wide variety, it would have been useful being told about a children's menu option rather that finding out on the off chance one evening. Day time activity and Children's entertainment was ok - led by 2 fantastic people but could have been better with more staff to help out - note to management! Attention to detail was second to none.
Spa lovely for adults.
Would go again, probably further into the season rather than just before Easter as it was just too relaxing.