“returning for the third time-says it all”

Anastasia Beach Hotel
Ranked #35 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed April 4, 2014

First time I visited this hotel it was to the hotel itself, the second (and upcoming third time) to the apartment block but still using the food and facilities of the hotel. I found the apartments to be bright and airy they were cleaned daily to a good standard with fresh towels and bedding. The two small problems we had were dealt with really quickly (safe operation and shower head)
The food quality did vary from day to day but was generally good, hot and plentiful- I found something acceptable at every meal and there was a good selection of fruit.
The pool and pool area was clean with plenty of sun beds but at peak times children can be a nuisance!
Location is good, the beach is small but is only across a quiet road and provides access to the seafront path into Protaras town which is a lovely walk with lots of places along the way to rest, eat or drink. A last word about the staff, I found them to be helpful and courteous on the whole, some were more friendly than others but then, so were the guests! I'm returning in May and can't wait!

Room Tip: Apartments are on a much quieter road than some of the rooms in the main hotel- less noisy bars
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank marie a
TsokkosCyprus, Public Relations Manager at Anastasia Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your nice comments, we will be delighted to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Anastasia Beach Hotel

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Pubic hairs everywhere! When I told the maid she looked at me like I was stupid! My 16 year old daughter got a ear infection from the pool and my 4 year old son pointed out that someone had done a poo in the pool! Not a good holiday if I am honest!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014
25  Thank Georgiagreenx

Thank you for your comments. Please note that at Tsokkos Hotels we take every guest comment very seriously in order to further improve our facilities and services. Please note that we have already found in the House Keeper's log book your comment regarding to hair in your room, and the maid has visited your room again on the same day while you were out and cleaned again. Therefore we have reacted to your complaint immediately and solved this. We have never got any report or any issues or complaint in regards to "poo in the pool" - this is a serious issue, and according to the health and safety regulations there is some steps we have to follow if this indeed happens... We are certain that you have enjoyed our food, stunning location and views of the hotel as well as the beach. Thank you once more for your comments.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year in August and I've only just got round to reviewing it.
My stay at the hotel was below average, I found the hotel rooms were bright and up to date although the staff were lazy, my Mum and Dad made their own bed, albeit scruffy, but the cleaner decided that was enough and left it how it was. My younger sister spilled some power from a toy she bought and when we came back at the end of the day the spillage was still there even though the cleaner had been and gone.
The pool was absolutely atrocious. There was always an awful sewer smell around the pool area, not idea when trying to sunbathe. The pool was as if it was never cleaned, most of the holiday goers I met all had cotton wool from going to the clinic, all with ear infections from the pool. Me and my family also got severe ear infections and had to pay the hospital 150euros to get it cured, we did NOT get compensation from the hotel, we were simply told by the manager "You're spending too much time in the pool". What else do you do on holiday?

The entertainment was quite good, although boring some nights. I enjoyed the bingo and karaoke, and drinks were to good quality. The only problem is the high amount of smokers outside choking the death out of children and non smokers.

I used the laundrette one night to wash my towels and dirty clothes, and I couldn't stay down there for longer than 10 minutes. It was foul, almost as if it hadn't been cleaned ever. There was food wrappers down there, mouldy food, boxes, dirt, I went into the toilets and it was full off faeces all over the toilet seat. Disgusting.

The Staff were friendly and the buffet was full of food from different countries and had a lot of variety which was good, although some of the nights food was bland it was quite nice.
I enjoyed the fact the whole hotel including rooms had air conditioning to.

The area was fantastic, right on the beach, it was a 20second walk from the pool to the sea, it was lovely.

The out of room cleaning facility was okay, although I was shocked when I saw a cleaner fill her bucket with pool water, then use it to wash the hotel floor.

Overall, the holiday was below average, I enjoyed it a substantial amount, but I will not return.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water park if in the apartments, as the other side has blaring karaoke every s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank EmmaH4231
TsokkosCyprus, Guest Relations Manager at Anastasia Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your comments. It is indeed common at sunny countries, when people spend a lot of time in the pool to get ear infection and this has nothing to do with the pool water, it has only to do with water getting stuck into your ear due to the time spent in the water and thus bacteria grows in the tube. You may search this over the internet for further information. The pool water is tested and treated on a regular basis according to the health and safety regulations and everything is logged and available for inspection. The public toilets are cleaned many times during the day and this is recorded as well. In Cyprus as in every other country smoking is permitted in outside areas. We are glad you have enjoyed the entertainment and our food as well the stunning location of the hotel and the views. Once more thank you for your comments. We take every single guest comment seriously in order to further improve our facilities and services for future guests.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks including October Half Term. Upon arrival, in the early hours we were faced with a huge queue to check in with just 1 guy on reception....groan. However the guy was very friendly, kept everyone amused and worked very quickly. There were also sandwiches, which weren't great, but better than nothing We finally got our rooms and were amazed to find that we had been allocated inter joining superior rooms with HUGE balconies (table, chairs sun loungers and still room to play football), with sea and pool views to one side and water park views to the other. Rooms were a bit tired, but clean enough & beds very comfy.

Pool area was fine, the design meant there were probably too many shaded area's especially late in the day so this meant that people seemed to be crammed into some sections with a lot unused, but this could've been due to the time of year. Pool was clean if a bit cold.

Water Park was fantastic. Whilst not all inclusive, there were plenty of sunbeds, most of the park was in the sunshine and pool was a lovely temperature. After the first few days this is where we spent most of our time. The hotel is literally next door and popping back for drinks and lunch was really easy. The bar staff at the hotel were also happy to fill bottles with drinks as well, so it was great.

In general the food was good. Breakfast was great the whole time. However I felt that whilst for the most part the evening meals were generally very good as the hotel was about to close a few days after we left that towards the end they did go down hill a bit. I got the impression they were just trying to use the food they had as after about 10 days the menus didn't match up either and on the final night we decided not to bother. I think probably any other time would've been fine. The lady that greeted us as we entered the dining room was lovely, although not all of the guests were as nice back!! The down side of the restaurant for the evening meal is getting drinks (very slow with a very small glass for the first & almost impossible to get a 2nd). Perhaps self service might be better. Although I'm guessing that this is done to move people out quicker. On bbq night they cook the meat in the morning and then reheated it, which kind of spoils what should be a lovely buffet.

Drinks

What can I say, the cocktail list was huge!! The longest list I have ever seen at an all inclusive hotel. Some of the drinks started to run out the last few days, but once again I think that this was down to the fact the hotel was about to close for the season. Most of the staff were friendly as well. The down side was that whilst there was a huge bar that could serve both inside and the pool area, this was closed in favor of a tiny little bar inside, such a shame. Also, unlike most all inclusive's there is no self service for soft drinks outside of breakfast, which would probably help with the occasional queues.

Reception

The reception staff were really helpful and friendly.

Rep Neil.

He was pretty appalling. We tried to book a red bus tour to Famagusta through him several times and every time he forgot!! Meaning that we had to book an alternative privately which ended up costing much more.

Entertainment

Oh my god!!! Worst ever. Thomas Cook provide this, so it's nothing to do with the hotel and I think they really need to review this. I'm guessing they recruit the entertainment staff based on how loud and outrageous they are prepared to be as opposed to any real talent??!! Also, bearing in mind that at this time of year the evenings can be quite windy & cold they crammed this into a tiny outside space when inside there was a stage area in the huge inside bar area where most of the guests chose to spend their evenings. Even if there was no entertainment perhaps some background music might've stopped this room from being so flat. Also there was one evening when they advertised a particular football match that some of our party wanted to watch, but because one of the staff was sat right in front of the tv watching another match the manager refused to put it on until after the other match had finished, meaning we only caught the final 20 minutes...not the best!!

Over all there was some really good points, but I felt as though the hotel was closing down around us. The location was great right by the beach with a lovely walk along the boardwalk to Protaris. Yes some parts of the hotel are looking pretty tired, but not really bad. With a few changes I think this place could be fantastic. Bearing in mind the great price we paid though I really couldn't complain about what we got and the few negatives I have mentioned really weren't enough to stop us all having a fantastic time.

Would I return? Maybe, but it would need to be more in season. Not the hotel's fault but the days felt a bit short this time of year and the with the longer days more of the hotel pool might have sunshine .Also all the facilities might be up and running more and the dreadful entertainment may not be so much of a problem as we would probably make the most of the sunshine for longer! and hopefully the food quality would probably be a little more consistent. Thomas Cook really need to review the quality of the entertainment they supply. Until they change the policy on entertainment I would not book again with Thomas Cook anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed February 3, 2014

the holiday was all you could ask 4 our whole family went for my mums 60th birthday and wedding anniversary so there was 8 of us in total ages varying 8 13 16 35 60 for kids it was awesome there in house entertainment kept them entertained all day and night and food an drinks ice cream all of good quality was available all threw out the day the water park was great 2 safe and secluded so you could feel free to sun bath whilst sipping on a cocktail whilst kids went round corner an had fun !!!
the holiday honestly couldn't of been any better clean sheets every day and staff couldn't do enough to help you just to top it off I won £1000 on bingo by the pool roll over lol yes poolside entertainment for adults aswell the pool games for adults were piss funny just couldn't knock this holiday if I tried,go with confidence if your lucky enougth to find a holiday as there allways fully booked 10/10 enough said x

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank theshellbell
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Hotel & staff are fantastic
Food is of a very high standard
Entertainment - been the last 3 years in a row.
1st year was amazing with Vladislav as head entertainer working with his back up chukky !!
2nd year was Memo - very good, not as good as Vlad but that said good fun !!
3rd year 2013 - dan Dan the kebab man was the most fun, but tbh the entertainers this year were thrown in at the deep end, if this hotel wants to keep their repeat business they need to sort the entertainment out once & for all instead of changing all the time !!
Snack menu used to be awesome, then a family of bout 20 were staying here for a wedding, they ordered a ridiculous amount of food from the snack menu which was included in the all inclusive - but 10+ pizza's, spaghetti bolognese x bout 8, then kebabs / chips garlic breads - they went well overboard & wasted 80% of the order - snack menu was removed & replaced with what I call kiddie food snacks. Which I think is not good enough for the money it costs to stay here !!
Drinks were very good, pity the kids don't get the slush included in there free drinks, doesn't need a lot to make this destination outstanding but defo worth a visit !!

Room Tip: Excellent food & drinks - red hot weather
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Barry S
Reviewed November 18, 2013

8 family members stayed at the Anastasia for our October holiday to celebrate our Grandsons 15th Birthday. Our ages ranged from 13 to 69 and we all had a brilliant holiday. We had a few teething troubles which were sorted out quickly by Neil, the excellent Thomas Cook Rep, and the Manager. The food was good, plenty of choice and we were always provided with a table for 8 for our evening meal. The staff work extremely hard throughout the hotel and the Waterpark is kept very clean. We would not hesitate to go again.

Stayed: October 2013