“Please dont be fooled by the brochures”

Papantonia Hotel Apartments
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Please dont be fooled by the brochures”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Been back a week now but where do you begin with this hotel. Firstly, I would like to say my partner and I travel a lot and our philosophy has always been to make the most of any sisutation and its what you make of it that counts! And trust me we tried very hard here and thank goodness for the lovely Gordie family we met in the first week!! The rest of the time we just relaxed and enjoyed the lovely weather which is always a plus. However . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
My advise is please do not book this as an All Inclusive holiday - its not a true reflection on AI and you will be disappointed - rather book a hotel that only offers All Inclusive. If you have small children again book a different hotel. If you fancy being on your own a lot and entertaining yourself and only using the hotel as a base then this is the place for you!!!!
Firstly, when arriving the receptionist was very grumpy and unhelpful. We asked for a sea view and ended up with an amazing view of the back of the hotel sign, a carpark and a supermarket. Thankfully we were moved after our air con didnt work - but that took a lot of effort (we were accussed of not being to operate it properly (by the rep) when in fact it was broken. We were treated by the staff and rep (Lisa) that they were doing us the favour by moving us.
The rep did not give us any details in the welcome meeting about how to get the best out of our holiday and failed to tell us things that we needed to know about the hotel. (ie that for 2 days a week there are no cleaners - you have to fend for yourself - not funny if you are a family with small children) I have never heard of this before and found it amazing that our rep did not even mention it to us!
The apartments are spacious but the furniture is very out dated and the beds are so uncomfortable - you will get aches and pains. Cleaniness is not good either in the hotel or around the pool area.
I understand (which I might be wrong) that Thomson and First Choice are only offering this as an All Inclusive holiday from next year (2013) when really these are self catering apartments. The hotel staff are geared up for SC and actually find and treat their All Inclusive customers as if they are pains and an inconvenience to them. If you book as AI you will find that you are the only people around in the evenings and the day as most of the guests are out and about enjoying their holiday elsewhere. This in turn does make it hard for entertainment - very difficult to do when you have just a handful of people - a bit like flogging a dead horse really. The hotel offers Self Catering, BB, half board, full board basis & all inclusive - which means that there are a lot of guests that have no real incentive to stay on site, which does turn the hotel into a bit of ghost town. The hotel does have a Kids Club area which apparently is lovely but the management have chosen not to open it up this year.
The hotel food is on the whole good the Chef does make an effort but there isn't really much choice but you will always find something you can eat! But after dinner if you munchies you need to stock up before hand as no food is available.
There are a lot of Russians at the hotel but I have to say most of them were very pleasant and chatty probably feeling lonely like us and just pleased to see another human being so would chat to anyone even if they dont speak the same language.
Plus even the pool area is large and you have 2 pools - the other hotels in the area use the facilities so you end up with kids and people not from your hotel using the facilities which does make you wonder about security.

Room Tip: My advise is please do not book this as an All Inclusive holiday - its not a true reflection on AI a...
4 Thank sharon_farmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
Worcester,UK
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Bearing in mind the size of the hotel, my wife and I found it very spooky to be the only occupants for the last couple of nights.The hotel was closing for the Winter on the day of our departure and it felt strange to be sitting in reception watching people removing the stock,and locking up. The cloakrooms had been locked and the staff had gone- the last one with a load of vegetable from the kitchens. There was no entertainment of any nature throughout our week which was probably a blessing as we would have felt very silly being the only two people watching.
Any families would have been disappointed and bored rigid but for a couple of sixty year olds, it was ideal- very quiet and relaxing and two lovely pools to ourselves.
The neighbouring hotels allowed access to their facilities so long as drinks were bought there-
we were self catering and are still wondering how we would have been dealt with as "all incusive" being the only people there. The hotel appartments were fine- clean and comfortable,
the staff were very friendly and irrespective of other reviewers comments, we found food and drink prices very reasonable- 7 euros pretty well everywhere for a large Gin and Tonic and
a pint of lager. Food prices also very fair. The walk from the Hotel to Protarus is lovely- 20 or 30 minutes on a boardwalk following the beaches and lots of good Cafes/Bars..
Can't help feeling that Olympic Holidays should have made us aware that the hotel was closing for the season but "all in all" a lovely relaxing break despite daily thunderstorms.

PS- Aegean Airways aeroplanes are far more comfortable than the other charters

Room Tip: pool view- inland looks out over a car park and supermarket
4 Thank Dikko
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at the papantonia from the 3rd-17th october 2012 , picked this hotel because brochure said there was entertainment day and night unfortunately this wasnt true as the entertainment was vertailly non existant! In fourteen nights there was 3 acts one of which was angelo the entertainment man doing a fire act which lasted 15 minutes!! entertainemnt man would often dissappear into his room to do hair dressing on guests this would happen either day or night , the managment seem to be aware of this but didnt seem to care.The hotel itself is a good base as the apartments are clean and staff friendly, but they are definately winding down for end of season and i think thats why they put up with this.It ended up costing us much more money going into protaras strip for entertainment of a night time and as we had young children in the group we had to pay out for transport as it was quite a walk. all in all the hotel is okay but dont expect any entertainment!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank friendlybunch
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

went on the 30th sept for 2 weeks.hotel was clean,but very quite.could not comment on food ate out all the time.couple of nice places to eat SPECTRUM PUB and MOJITO BAR.its 15 mins walk to protaras main strip and 5 mins to pernera center.the red bus is a must to famagusta.entertainment in the hotel is a no go.

Room Tip: top floor rooms have a nice view of the swimming pools and sea.bottom floor noisey from hotel equipm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank paul w
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just returned from papatonia and having payed to go there I should have payed peanuts for!! Entertainment was shocking wasn't even any entertainment at all! Except from maybe darts or anything the entertainer could be bothered to do!! On the other hand hotel was clean but beds very uncomfortable!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Cyprusisthebest
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Papantonia is a great hotel for a budget holiday. We went self catering (Sept 2012) and ate out most days so can't comment on the restaurant but the room was nice and clean with a great view over the pool. Both pools were nice and clean and there were always sun beds available. The hotel is perfectly located a couple of minutes walk from the small resort of Pernera - def check out El Greco restaurant for authentic cypriot food (mixed meze for 18 euros well worth it!) - and approx 20 minutes walk into the busier resort of Protaras. There are a few bars and restaurants on the way to Protaris if you need to stop and the boardwalk is well lit at night so it always feels safe whatever the time. The entertainment at the hotel is limited but there are plenty of bars in Protaras and we particulalry liked the Knights Pub round the corner in Pernera. Aya Napa is also only half an hour away on the bus (1 euro per trip). There are lots of little beaches along the coast between Pernera and Protaras but our favourite was Fig Tree Bay at the far end of Protaras which was never too busy and had the clearest water - def get a snorkle for 5 euro and check out the hundreds of fish around the rock.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view - not much of a view on the other side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma A
manchester
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just got back from the papantiona. We went 14 days self catering.

First off I have to say the self catering side is virtually non existent.2 plates 2 very small cups, 2 small glasses, 1 pan, a frying pan a toaster and kettle. Not sure how a family with young children would cope to be honest. I think it is deliberately designed to send you in to the bar and restaurant or force you to upgrade to half board or full board. The television consists of only greek channels and Euro news, there’s no BBC .The apartment is very basic but cleaned daily, and air conditioning in the bedroom was a nice surprise.

Going self catering was a big mistake on our part, we didn’t really budget for the ridiculous prices in the South of Cyprus, for instance a small coke in a bar was 3 Euros, in the local Supermarket 5 litres of bottled water 3 – 4 Euros,1.5 litre of Coke 3 Euros, small loaf 2.50 cents,box of Kellogs cornflakes 5 Euros I could go on and on, in general the prices are about 3 times more than you would pay in Spain for similar items. Not sure why this is. Eating out didn’t get much better either a board outside a local café would display a breakfast for 2 euros 99 cents including a brew, so you would expect a bill for 6 Euros for 2 (not 17 Euros) , was the same everywhere we went with restaurants, special offers advertised outside a restaurant at one price but getting a different price with astronomical service charge at the end. Taxis were expensive too, a journey from Lidyl to the Pappantonoa cost 10 Euros, a journey that takes 5 minutes top’s.

Tried to hire a car through reception with a company called Viking, the leaflet in the reception advertised a Special offer off 2 days hire for the price off 3,I opted for the category A vehicle 24 euros a day fully inclusive, so expected a 48 Euro bill. I asked the thin dark haired receptionist to arrange it for me as it was a company they deal with. .Here is where the fun starts,48 Euros for the car hire she tells me……….36 Euros Insurance……..and VAT is running at 30 % says she………….final price 136 Euros………I thought insurance was included says I ?,not you says she because yours is a new car. I wanted to give her a mouthful for trying to rip me off, but instead only managed no thanks. I went outside and phoned the company myself and managed to get hire for 90 Euros. Unfortunately the day it was delivered she was on the reception, she spoke in Cypriot to the driver who asked me for 100 Euros, I gave him 100 Euros, and he then asked me for another 25 Euros for petrol. I told him to take the car back, and then he just took the 90 Euros and went. The car was a Chevrolet Matiz with a potted back light, suspect steering and it sounded like a Trabant.

That was my only gripe with the South of the Island everything was a rip off. Everywhere you went and ate a meal with drinks was the same. Hidden charges or simply over inflated prices. We spend a lot of time in Spain and have never encountered this problem before. I noticed the Russians seemed to get preferential treatment everywhere they went, chair pulling out in restaurants etc,they all seem extremley very wealthy these days

My wife and I crossed the border in too Nicosia and we were very surprised. We wasn’t expecting a quaint little town with cobbled streets, lovely shops with friendly people. We ate a lovely kebab chips and salad and had 4 cans of coke for just 17 Euros,we also bought some nice souveniers.We enjoyed the experience so much we drove over the border near famagusta paying 20 Euros insurance and spent the day sight seeing the town. the old quarter is beautiful, a walled city with cathedral, church castle battlements etc. it was weird seeing a cathedral that would not look out of place in any British City used as a mosque. To be honest the highlight of our holiday was the North of the Island, it was much prettier with plenty of history, the people were much friendlier and everything was much cheaper.

Travelling is a good way of forming your own opinion. Before I had visited the North I had read only propaganda on the internet that talked off destroyed historic monuments etc, all I found was a beautiful old city with plenty of historic monuments and lovely shops with friendly people. And for us it was the highlight of our holiday, I would highly recommend visiting the North and experiencing the culture, it is such a strange experience but a nice one.

I am not going to score the Papantonia low just because some sour faced receptionist tried to rip me off, at the end off the day the Hotel was as advertised and good value for what we paid, clean, with air-conditioning and we felt safe there, there was also plenty of sun loungers. The Thomson Rep Lisa was also lovely and the transfer was great. I always think the holiday experience with Thomsons is excellent

I would only go back though on either half board or full board because it was just so expensive eating out. I would advise anybody going with young children on a budget to think very carefully, because what you save on a self catering holiday here you will lose in the Supermarkets and restaurants, I spoke to one young family with 2 children who spent 900 Euros in one week.

Not sure if dealing with drunken teens who don’t know what day it is every summer is part off the problem, but some Cypriots need to try and be a little bit friendlier to us Brits and stop trying to rip us off. I was expecting the hostility on the Turkish side but instead found only nice friendly people who made us feel very welcome.

2 Thank dcleach070667