“Good hotel,great location”

Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good hotel,great location”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a good quality hotel in an excellent location in a wonderful resort, this is it! We stayed for ten nights & opted for self catering and found plenty of very nice places to eat in and around Protaras. The hotel was clean and well run and provided us with an excellent base for our holiday. The beach (5 minute walk away) is first class, clean,with plenty of sun beds (€2.50's each)and the sea is warm and crystal clear. I really cannot fault this hotel or the resort of Protaras.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

After arriving after a 2 and half hour delay,at 3 in the morning there was no food or even a drink of water for us,we were given our keys, put our bags in and made our way to mcdonalds,its open 24 hours thankgod.....
In the morning we realised the toilet seat was broken and kept giving us a nasty pinch,the shower holder was also broken, and even though the beds looked new none of the wooden latts were screwed in place so my husband nearly ended up on the floor.

The next day after some time all three were fixed APPARENTLY, the shower holder broke again,basically because it was glued back in place......

The food,
We always found something to eat,could be better,its a bit hit and miss,the chilli was absolutely lovely,and then the next day they'll have lamb which doesn't look very appertizing and smells even worse my daughter wouldn't even go in there,so i had to get her food,but mostely it was alright,you wont go hungry,because you have the snack bar also,but that finishes at 5pm,i read that it opened again 11 till 12 but it doesn't,so after 9pm theres no more food just drinks.

unless you ask for strong drinks you'll be given the basic sit there all night drinking coke and not even getting a little bit tipsey drink,which most people we spoke to moaned about ....so if you want a strong one tell them...

The entertainment wern't much,it was ok but found most people went to the strip theres just no atmosphere,i think people would stay in there if they got some of the acts to come in from the strip for the adults,it seemed more for the children...

Its a very good base for everthing,right in the middle, and even though ive moaned about some things,the rooms are very spacious with extremley fantastiic air conditioning,and all in all i would stay here again,with a great large pool and loads of sunloungers.

Its a bit hit and miss if you want to keep your room on a little longer,you have to let them know 24 hours before, then you'll be added to a list some will keep the room some won't....
NOT 4 STAR BY ANY MEANS.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cyprus
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in june 2013 with my friends. The room was good and average.
At the second day, the air-conditioner broke and dripped water.
They didn't fix it, and simply gave us towels to put on the floor. They were not willing for us , and after our solicitations the next day fix it.
Also the bath was very poor. The temperature of the water changes by itself and become very hot.
Generally, the staff was very rude and treated us very badly.
We will not go ever again and will not recommend it to our friends

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank elena k

Travelers are raving about these Protaras hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the Vangelis ApartHotel June 2nd 2013 - June 12th 2013 on an All inclusive package with AirTours. We're a young couple, and wanted a simple holiday. My apologies if this review winds on, I like to give a full account so nobody goes/chooses not to based on delusions.

Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way, there are plenty of Russian guests, none are particularly polite(least of all to staff) but we shouldn't judge a hotel on it's guests.

Hotel Accommodation/Rooms:
First impressions for the Vangelis were good. The reception is well kept and very spacious, manned 24 hours, with plenty of seating, as well as other facilities such as computers, and an Xbox. It's comprised of four large blocks(A,B,C,D) with an indoor pool, a very large outdoor pool, a restaurant and a bar.
The rooms, bearing in mind this is an Apartments hotel, were way bigger than I thought. Ours was top floor of Block B, sea view corner Apt. It had three rooms, a bathroom with sink/toilet/bath/overhead shower. A spacious bedroom with two singles, a big wardrobe, desk with vanity mirror and room to spare. The main bulk of the apartment had a TV(NOT part of an all-inclusive package, extra charge to use), sofa with pull out bed, spare matresses, breakfast bar, coffee table, seats galore, and a fully equipped maisonette kitchen. Basic and dated? Perhaps, but I don't need a plasma screen or motion sensitive lighting and designer fittings on a holiday room I intend simply to sleep in. That said, it did have two separate remote-controlled Air Conditioning units(one in main room, one in bedroom) which were fantastic.

Pool:
The pool is massive, and only 1.7m deep at it's deepest, there's also a seperate small children's pool with a miniature slide and a second small pool with a permanent volley ball net affixed. There are ample sun loungers, all with a small table and parasol fixed to the ground, we may have caught them slightly out of season, but there was always a substantia amount of loungers free at all times of day. There's also a life guard six days a week, which is a rarity for hotels these days! The bar area(with pool tables, arcade machines etc) is within easy reach and shaded just next to the large pool.

Food:
Oh dear. I'm not one to throw a one-star review at a hotel because the food is awful, as long as it's warm and edible..which the food was. The eating area is just about the size for the number of AI guests, although it can get swamped when busy and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention birds are free to fly in from poolside and eat what's left unattended on tables(we actually saw one table get lynched by no less than three birds whilst the guests had gone for condiments!). On the flip side of this, when you sit down, a friendly member of staff will always come take a drinks order from you and go fetch it from the bar! (A first for an AI holiday in my experience). Food itself lacked much imagination, or variety and within three days you'll notice recycled ideas with maybe something added or taken away, or fried instead of baked. The area where food is kept is also very claustrophobic at times, with chefs standing to check availability and everything in a small confined space including the meager choice of dessert and large central "European style" salad offerings.

Staff/Maid service:
The staff here bring this place to life, not the reception staff who are pretty rude if I'm honest and singularly unhelpful, but the guys at the bar, the waiters and waitresses at meal times. They're polite, all speaking moderately good English, with the exception of David and Alice who I assume are native speakers whom live in Cyprus. Everyone in the waiting staff were quick to help and oblige your requests, they were prompt to clear tables, and even just have a chat a joke at the bar between serving guests. That's the good news. The bad..the maid service, myself and my partner found wanting, our sheets weren't changed in the ten nights we were there and the cleaning of the rooms seemed at best a cursory once over..I appreciate they have a lot of rooms to get through, I do, but making a bed and emptying a bin before dashing off can leave a room just as bad. A little work to do there, perhaps.

Location:
They're not beach front, as many of plethora of hotels in Protaras are, the "strip" as it were is littered with hotel atop hotel atop hotel on the beach side. Vangelis is simply across a one way road(rarely any traffic I hasten to add) to the beautiful beach and nearby Fig Tree Bay. Within moments walk either side of the hotel are a myriad of Supermarkets, Souvenir shops, restaurants of all creeds(Italian, British, jovial rip offs such as the "F.R.I.E.N.D.S bar" and "Only fools and horses restaurant" etc) and all your usual services catering to tourist needs such as car rentals, beach and water sports/aqua vehicle rentals, boat trips, taxi services, and for a taste of home you're within five minutes of a Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds and Costa Coffee! Immediately outside the hotel is also a bus stop where you can hop on a bus(One euro for a single trip, or three euro for an all day ticket) to a multitude of places including Aiya Nappa just twenty minutes or so away which has the clubs, the scenic Nissi bay, more shops and so forth.

That's the gist, I would say what we saw of the small animation team present was very positive. They take no for an answer very politely, but always cheerfully try to include everyone in "killer darts", aqua aerobics and other activities. They seemed great with the children present and always did dance shows and such in the evenings.

All-Inclusive package;
Fantastic, I must admit. In it, you get all soft drinks, milk shakes, ice cream(non prepacked), snacks(which are generous to say the least), cocktails, local beer/spirits, hot drinks and more. Far bigger plastic cups than anywhere else I've seen to.

(There is an indoor pool, and a gym facility in this hotel, however I didn't use either and am unable to comment.)

I hope you found this helpful, if you have ANY questions regarding Protaras, very basic local knowledge, or Vangelis, please feel free to message me and I'll try my best to help!

Room Tip: Block B is best for sea views, but Block A will put you right next to the pool and the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Aled1988
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My self and my partner have just returned from a week at the vangelis. The accommodation is basic but very spacious, we booked it as a last min holiday and with what we paid for the week we can not fault, the rooms are a bit dated but to be fair we only slept in them, we had free aircon that worked very well, we didn't use the kitchen apart from the fridge, we was self catering and ate out every night, there is a lidls 5 min away wich is cheap for you're essentials, water was a lot cheaper to buy there than anywhere else. the hotel is in a perfect location, right in the middle of the strip for all the bars restaurants club shops etc. a 5 min walk to the beach and its lush,clear,warm and calm waters and 10 min walk to fig tree bay that you must visit!!! You can rent sun loungers and parasols for 2.50 each, The weather was fantastic even a little breezy at night that was nice, we went parasailing down on the beach it cost us 60 euros for the both of us and was brilliant, It was very safe and a easy take off and very soft landing, I have done it before but compaired to how well this was the other time was a health and safety nightmare!!! the mrs loved it....There are some real nice restaurants on the strip, protaras is a lovely place.highly reccomend a holiday here you won't be disappointed

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from a week all inclusive at the vagelis. We didn't know what to expect from previous reviews but were more than happy with what we got. Our room was huge and clean, yes the furniture wasn't modern but it did what it needed to and the beds were divans which were so comfy. the maid was so nice and helpful. The staff at the bar and restaurant were mostly English and Alice, David and Michael were amazing. The food was ok and the salads were gorgeous and also the snack menu was great if you missed lunch or breakfast. We stayed in block A and our balcony was over the main strip but we had no problem with noise at all.

Our friends stayed in a 5* hotel for a wedding at the same time and their hotel was rubbish compared to ours they didn't get half of the facilities that we did. The entertainment was great during the day to keep the kids busy and also the pools were gorgeous and clean, there was never a shortage of loungers either. the evening entertainment was a little cheesy but ok.

The short walk to Fig tree bay is only 5 mins and the sea was beautiful.

We would defo stay here again and are already looking for next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarah D
uk
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We are a family of four including mum dad two sons aged 18 and 14 we have just returned from staying at the vangelis aparthotel in protaras . I wanted to review this hotel as having read previous comments I felt a balanced critique was needed. We booked this kind of last minute just 8 weeks ago at a bargain price and quite frankly would have been mad not to take this trip . When I looked at reviews on here I was needles to say really anxious about going. The Vangelis is right on the strip absolutely perfectly situated for bars clubs restaurants etc we were in block D and I am a light sleeper but never was noise after hours an issue the double glazing is perfectly adequate to prevent noise. Admittedly some of the rooms overlook the strip but even then music is turned off at 01.30. Yes the room furniture is dated but we have found for this style of accommodation across europe that is the case every where, and as someone else commented we didn't come to look at furniture in our room. The rooms are really spacious, adequate for four adults the aircon is the best we have had in similar hotels and free.The rooms are extremely clean which for my money matters more than age of furniture. Yes the towels are a bit thin but if they were big and fluffy no doubt they would get nicked, they do the job. staff are friendly and we have found that if you respect them they will repay that respect on our first night we arrived in the early hours having been travelling all day ,Michael made my husband and myself a coffee free of charge and gave our sons water to drink all because my husband took time to chat with him. He did not have to do that,
There has been a lot of comments about entertainment here. Everyday by the pool entertainment was available, now I like to go on holiday and relax so this is not for me, however some people clearly need to be entertained and poolstaff worked hard to get people involved in activities more often than not though people were not interested. Even in free scuba diving! I cannot comment on the children's activities although i did see daily events advertised however as stated we took two our two sons aged 18 and 14. We rarely get to spend time with the kids as they have their face buried in computer games etc and loved spending this time with them again.
I feel sad for those parents who cannot interact with their kids and expect to drop them off at 09.00 and not see them for the rest of the day. If you want that sort of holiday go to butlins. We went self catering and would urge people to do so, again if only to experience the food and culture of the country you are in. Or a big mac if thats what you want! There is a lidl store a stones through away so food stuffs can be picked up there really reasonably if thats how you choose to play it.
All things said it is what it is and you get what you pay for, for my money this absolutely suited our needs.
No I wouldn't honeymoon there but for families or teenagers it provided all we needed. I find the comments about the russians quite sad its like saying the germans put towels down and the english wear football shirts if thats how they are get over it and chill you are on holiday, comments like that are personal and should be kept that way and bears no reflection to the hotel.
I do have criticism but constructive, if managers read this it would be great to see someone hose down the pool deck and sun beds at the end of the day ready for the next day as some of the other hotels do.
Our rep was there everyday if needed and was friendly and approachable.
This is a really good value bed for the night which is all a hotel is ...a base.

• Stayed May 2013