“Perfect location but below average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Iliada Beach Hotel

Iliada Beach Hotel
Ranked #48 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect location but below average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have just come back from a 2 week stay here at the iliada beach hotel and I wouldn't go back here.
As previously said when we arrived there was no advice about the hotel given just our key. The rooms are fine, quite dated but not terrible. The pool area has the usual problem of having to get up early for a sunbed and I would say the pool itself is actually quite small for the amount of guests at the hotel. The bar by the pool is good but it's silly that all inclusive guests cant have bottled water, slush puppies, fresh orange juice or milkshakes.
The worst part of the hotel is the food and as an all inclusive guest its a pretty important factor of the holiday. Breakfast is okay, the pancakes are good but the cake is hard almost stale and the bacon was always under cooked. Lunch was awful. I agree that it was mainly catered for the Russian and German guests. It was just cuts of dry or fatty meat or fish and rice, vegetables and potatoes. Dinner was very hit and miss, some nights terrible having the same problem as lunch and some good but I do think they only seemed good in comparison to other nights. The food is lukewarm and very much quantity over quality.
I agree with other comments that you can go elsewhere such as the Caribbean and Cape Verde still all inclusive for the same price and having been on many all inclusive Caribbean holidays its such a shame that the EU standards of all inclusive are so far behind the Caribbean.
The staff are average, the young girls who waitressed were always friendly and positive but other sometimes blunt and just disengaged.
All in all I had a great holiday but only due to myself and my boyfriend having our own fun at the beach and eating out. Protaras itself is great and has lots of lovely restaurants and bars.

2 Thank 12jodiem

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

we got married here in august so there was a big party of us.when we first arrived there were no rooms for my sister in law and her family, they had to stay next door for the night, but were upgraded to all inclusive to compensate. my friend arrived later that night to find there wasn't enough beds in her room and the toilet needed cleaning! they were upgraded to all inclusive.
on the whole, the rooms need a upgrade/modernisation, they were clean but not 4 star!
the location was brilliant, perfect for everything, the staff were great! food was pretty good, but got sick of same thing second week! entertainment needs sorting in day and night, no kids entertainment in day!
if you decide to get married here, the thomas cook and tsokkos rep, were brilliant and we couldn't have asked for two better people.
be warned, we went in august and russian swimming team went, about 15 young kids with 3 adults who ended up leaving them in hotel at night while they went boozing down the strip, the kids ran havoc, bullying and stealing from our parties children.apparently they go every year, and have definately put us off for any future visits in august!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank ampocr
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have stayed at Illiada for the last 2 years and it was a very enjoyable stat the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We would recommend this hotel as we will stay there again.
The hotel is on the main strip and is well situated for bars and shops.
The hotel has a large swimming pool, gardens with sunbeds then straight on to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank geneticzod
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

i recently stayed in lliada beach hotel in july with my family. The staff were amazing, nothing was to much trouble for them. My daughter became ill, the staff quickly took charge of the situation and ambulance was at the hotel within minutes. On our return from the clinic the staff had placed a packed lunch for us, due to missing our meals. The next day, the staff on seeing us came over to ask how everything was with my daughter. All the staff are polite and friendly and would often just come over to chat with us.. Rooms were cleaned everyday, with fresh towels and tea/coffee/milk topped up. Food was good and if you wanted something else again, nothing was to much trouble, just ask. One word of warning to people who not used to this hot climate, have plenty of salt on your food, due to the heat and sweating we lose salt from the body, this needs to be replaced. This was the reason my daughter became ill and collapsed. Also when paying insurance, make sure this covers clinics, again this was a problem for us, our insurance didn`t, again this wasn`t a problem and wasn`t charged for medical treatment. This may have caused a problem if in another country. So get medical insurance from post office this covers private clinics as well as hospitals, but check this out first. Would recommend this hotel. Plenty of night life outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank michelle c
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Arrived to the hotel..had to climb over a barrier to get in filthy on the outside on the inside we were just given our room key no advice about where bars/restaurants were. Arrived in our room which was filthy the floor was corroded the bed sheets were covered in stains holes in the curtains stains on the walls the toilet seat had what looked like faeces on it. The room felt not secure at all. The bar staff were rude and arrogant and were leering at my partner. The balcony was a view of the rubbish bins and the back of the hotel not 1tiny enjoyable view. The food was revolting. We were so disappointed as we were really looking forward to staying here.
However we would like to say martina a member of the bar staff was friendly and helpful. She is a credit to the hotel

Room Tip: Don't go there
6 Thank Hollyberry4
Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family and I have stayed at the iliada beach hotel 8 years running and cant fault the hotel and its staff at all! We have just come back from cyprus and stayed at the iliada again this year but unfortunately while we was away my grandad ( Alfred Brown ) fell ill in a matter of minutes he was shaking and throwing up we went to reception and explained to the receptionist augusta what has happened and if she could call a doctor. straight away they called valessia protaras polyclinic, the ambulance was with us in about 5/10 minutes. Augusta showed them to our room. They were very fast and got my grandad in the ambulance straight away. My grandad was close to going into cardiac arrest he had a severe case of dehydration and gastroenteritis, he also had a temperature of 43 which was very high! My grandad had to stay in the polyclinic for 3 days. His doctor was Dr Vasos him and his staff were amazing!! We cant fault them one bit! There service was amazing they were offering us teas and coffees and even offered my nan a bed next to my grandad to stay in over night with him. He also checked my nan out and found she had early stages of gastroenteritis and treated her with tablets.

Iliada staff: all the staff at the hotel was amazing in helping the family and my grandad out, within the three days my grandad was in hospital all the staff were asking how my grandad was.
When my grandad got out of hospital on Wednesday 28th August Dr Vasos told us to keep my grandad eating chicken and rice for the next couple of days unfortunately that day there wasent any chicken and rice on the menu but we told a waiter andreas what has happened and he went to the cook and they cooked grilled chicken and rice especially for him.

Thomas cook: Nicola was our rep and when she wasent working she went and visited my grandad while he was in hospital and she assured us that everything will be fine and she would help us if we needed anything.
Also Mike from thomas cook rang the hospital and spoke to my grandad to see how my grandad was feeling.

Valessia polyclinic staff: Dr Vasos and his team were amazing, we cant think of anything else they could of done for my grandad and the family. They were brilliant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Danine E
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from 18th - 28th August to attend my sister's wedding at the Vrissiana. After reading the reviews we was looking forward to staying in this hotel as it was close to the beach and the strip.

Let's start with the positives - staff are extremely friendly and work very hard, location of the hotel is on the beach which is crystal clear and has great water sports at a good price, Boyan the entertainer is class and tries his best to get everyone going with activities and evening shows, maids clean your room every day, the Russians are polite, friendly and never push in front of you (cough, cough), Rockafellas and Bell's bars on the front are very lively and cheap.

Now for the negatives - food is like groundhog day, always seems to be reheated meat with pasta and chips, not much variety at all, we ended up eating out on some nights. The decoration of the hotel is laughable, reminds me of a caravan park - the hotel needs a massive refurbishment to compete with the other hotels next to them. The Russians get treated better than the British. All inclusive, does not mean all inclusive at this hotel. I know Greece is struggling with their economy but they are charging you for extras so be prepared. For example, 2 euros a day for towels, no bottles of water, snacks are not included, 30 euros for safe etc.The sunbed situation is a joke, on one occasion our towels were stolen and on another they were moved somewhere else. It seems that the security guard or maintenance man may be on the take to secure the same sunbeds for some holidaymakers as they are always in the same spot. One day I got up at 6am and all the sunbeds were gone.

Moreover, we did have a great holiday but we would not stay in this hotel again. We paid too much money for this holiday when actually you can go to the Carribean for the same price or stay in a better hotel down the strip. I feel sorry for the restaurants and bars in Protarars as they are really struggling due to the number of Eastern Europeans flocking to Cyprus but not spending the money like the British people do. I reckon in a few years time there will be no British going to Protaras, which is a real shame.

Overall, this is a basic 3 star hotel and be prepared if you go all inclusive that you will have to pay out more on certain things.

2 Thank stujames84