“Great location, not 4*”
Review of Iliada Beach Hotel

Iliada Beach Hotel
Ranked #48 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Just got back from a 7day half board stay with my girlfriend, i've never really felt the need to write reviews on holidays as they usually live upto standard and any un pleasantries are usually forgotten by the end. However i feel really cheated at the advertisement of this hotel as 4* and the price we paid for it.
LOCATION: Absolutely spot on, walk out the back and youre in the pool area outlooking the beautiful beach and crystal blue sea. Walk out the front and youre on the busy strip full of restaraunts, shops and amusements (a little to commercialised for us though).
ROOMS: Really disappointing..The decoration is from the 70's, there were cracks in the walls, the bathroom was TINY and again had cracks in the tiles and actual toilet! The Tv was from the 70's too and only had 3 channels. The balcony although provided an awesome view was small with rusty blue railings. The room was kept clean though and the maid was really nice. The air con was pathetic too.
FOOD: Now this is where it gets worse, breakfast was served next to some bushes so flys were constantly landing on your food, the selection was varied but quality was honestly poor. Dinner was a very nice setting, but was failed by the super slow service..i waited 15 minutes for a coke for crying out loud. The food lacked variety and quality was awful..grease with a side of chips was the main choice, followed by multicoloured mousse for dessert.
STAFF: Lisa the thomas cook rep was absolutely fine..typical bubbly scouse. Aaron although friendly lacked enthusiasm for the activities and most of the time they didnt run. Hotel staff were a mixed bunch and definitley need to break a smile once in a while.
POOL: Sunbeds were never an issue as there were plenty, however the pool was HOT and over chlorinated..I run a swimming pool here in the uk and to see the maintenance guy chucking chlorine in at 9am was not re assuring to me.

Overall i would definitely would not recommend this hotel but i definitely would recommend protoras as somehow i managed to have a really good time, still really disappointed in the hotel though.

Room Tip: Higher floor for a quieter night
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tomPT
There are newer reviews for Iliada Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have recently returned from a week long “all inclusive” holiday at the Illiada beach resort. Our party consisted 10 adults and two children. We arrived at resort on the 15/07/2012.

LOCATION: the location of the hotel is first class, the hotel at the front is right in the middle of the lively part of Protaras (although not at all noisy) and a wealth of shops, bars and excellent quality restaurants are right on the doorstep. To the rear the hotel has a pool that borders a beautiful beach – location wise the hotel is perfect.
ROOMS: we had a family room on the 2nd floor and although it was basic and slightly outdated it was spacious and extremely clean (maid service every day to a very high standard) – but certainly not 4 star standard (3 at best). The room looked out over the side of the hotel and to our right was the beach, the view was quite stunning. My only issue with the room was the air conditioning, the hotel uses a central system and although the system does cool the room slightly you need to leave it on for 24 hours to get any kind of effect, to do so you must get an extra key from reception for a deposit of €35, we had to do this as the air conditioning was simply not sufficient if used sparingly and the room became uncomfortable.
STAFF: The quality of the staff in the hotel are is really difficult to measure. We travelled with Thomas Cook and our Tour rep Lisa was excellent, extremely friendly, visible, approachable and helpful – as the face of the company she did them proud. Entertainment was provided by Aaron, a young energetic guy, who was extremely friendly and not pushy when rounding people for the large program of activities he organsied, he did a great job from what I could see. The general hotel staff were a complete mix bag, the reception staff were very straight in their approach although helpful and certainly got the job done. The bar staff in the evening Makis and Martyna were fantastic, helpful, efficient and always went about their job with a smile on their face – it was a pleasure to deal with them. The restaurant and pool bar staff were poor, although there were one or two who were helpful and pleasant (Savas & Ivana) some were extremely rude and quite unpleasant. One in particular Baeta was the most ignorant, miserable, arrogant person I have ever had to deal with – asking her for a drink or some service was a challenge and to be honest something our group really hated doing – I really don’t think this young lady wanted to be there and is certainly not cut out for working in a service industry.
BREAKFAST: The standard is poor, 2 star at best. There was a buffet selection of hot and cold meats, a few serials, fruit and fresh pancakes. I cannot really say a lot on the meal as we attended twice then didn’t bother for the rest of the holiday, it was that bad we would rather be hungry.
LUNCH: lunch is served at the pool side restaurant and you must order from the menu (3 courses). There are many option and the standard is very good indeed, portion sizes are enormous and I have to say we didn’t have a bad lunchtime meal. The staff quality varied and some of the local staff were excellent and very helpful, some of the non local staff were rude and ignorant.
EVENING: Buffett style, and I think it would be generous to give the standard a 3 star. There were two or three options every night, the food was edible and was ok in my opinion, two people in our party only eat chips 3 nights!. The outside part of the restaurant is a pleasant surrounding with excellent views.
POOL: The pool area is nice but very cramped with not enough loungers. The pool whilst we were there was very hot, too hot at times which was odd. At the weekends the Protaris area is flooded with Cypriots coming to the coast from the city, the beach is impossible at this time given the numbers, so we tried the pool. To our amazement non hotel guests are welcomed to the pool and area, sunbeds were not available to most hotel guests and the pool was packed to the rafters with Cypriots shouting and having a good time, there was little room for the hotel guests at all. I would have thought the management would have put a stop to this but was amazed to see the manager talking to the non paying guests on many occasions – I can only presume that non hotel guests are welcome and it certainly causes a problem, therefore weekends at the hotel are a non go (to be fair it’s an issue in the week but the problem intensifies at weekend)!
ALL INCLUSIVE: The all inclusive feature of the hotel is not like that of the bigger hotels around the world, you do get free soft drinks, ice cream and the local beer but the selection is limited to say the least (for example you cannot have Keo Beer but must have Leon, Keo was from Cyprus last time I looked). The staff are very quick to point out what you can and cannot have and to be honest I found it a waste of time. With the exception of saving €3.50 for every soft drink in the day, we found the bar in the evening small, hot and empty so effectively went out around 20.30 every night.

To summerise this hotel is not a 4 star standard, and not a 3 star standard, it’s certainly not for all inclusive. We had an decent holiday as Protaras is a great place to holiday with the family but the hotel was not what we expected. If we had booked room only I think we could have put up with the grunting of Baeta at the Bar during the day etc, but for all inclusive its absolutely not up to standard. The hotel is surrounded by great restaurants and therefore my recommendation is if you do want location then stay here room only, but for a more complete service discard this hotel and stay somewhere else (stay at CAPO BAY).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Brett S
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Went here for two weeks and everything was amazing. Food was gorgeous, staff were friendly and it's very clean! Maids made room very clean and the location is the best. Good value for money. Would definately come back.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank KayaWalmsley
Reviewed July 17, 2012

On arrival at hotel on 27/06/2012 we were met outside the hotel by staff on strike. I don't know who the the replacement staff on reception were, but the dark haired female would have had a heart attack if she smiled.What a start. I have been staying at this hotel since 1998, mostly twice a year.It was a family run hotel then, and definately a 4**** status. Since Tsokkas took over, it is getting worse each year. 2** would be exagerating. Before I list the lows, I must take this opportunity to say that ALL the staff, from manager, receptionists,waiters, bar staff and cleaners are faultless, friendly and polite. They cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.BREAKFAST; when you eventually find crockery without chips, you have to queue up behind the flies who have their feed first.LUNCHTIME; cannot comment as we go Half Board. EVENING MEALS; 14 years ago, food was excellent, but now deteriated. Not the Chef's fault, must be using cheaper produce. 2 Large cracks in wall in the Restaurant, been there at least 5 years. DECOR of rooms;Paintwork not been touched, cracks in bath covered by paint, chipped sinks. All needs a good make over.You have to pay for wi-fi; 4 euros an hour or 15 euros per day, but across the road you get it free. More concerned making money than looking after the customer.I tried to approach TSOKKAS but he would not speak to me and turned his back on me. How rude. FINAL SUMMARY; The staff and manager cannot work miracles, they do their very best.TSOKKAS is the problem, no wonder they went on strike. Will I come back in 2013 ? Very doubtful. From a very DISGRUNTLED loyal customer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank michael w
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at the Iliada beach hotel for one week, all inclusive from 4th July 2012 - 11th July 2012. When I arrived, it seemed very clean, staff seemed friendly and the location was great.

LOCATION - The location is excellent! There is something for everyone. So many bars, restaurants, cafes and shops on the door step of the hotel. 10-15 minute car journey to 'Water World' which is great fun! Loads of different boat trips for all ages such as a pirate boat trip, dolphin watching, glass bottom boat etc, day trips to Turkey and Egypt, All at quite reasonable prices. The beach is your back garden at the hotel and takes literally one minute to walk from the swimming pool to the beach. The beach offers loads of different water sports from jet ski's, paragliding, canoeing, crazy UFO's, crazy fish and banana boats etc which are also quite reasonable prices, especially if there's a couple of you going on one thing, it makes it cheaper per person. The sand is white and the sea is blue! You can see through the water which we all prefer than the dark english coast sea!

HOTEL ROOMS - The bedrooms where very standard and quite dated, could definitely do with a lick of paint and I wouldn't really say they where 4*. Our view was pretty awful, it was the side of the hotel next door, where there bins were kept and the cleaners sat out there for there tea breaks, although you could see the beach/sea (if you turned towards it) this wasn't really a big issue as I didn't spend a lot of time in my room anyway. How ever, if you wanted a sea view room then I would definitely reserve one before hand. The rooms where cleaned daily, with new towels and new bed sheets which was great and they where cleaned very well. The bathroom light took a while to turn on and when you put the key into the wall for the electric to start you had to wriggle it around to get the connection, which was a bit annoying. The air con worked, how ever you did have to leave it on all night and it was quite loud. (This doesn't really bother me, but some people cant sleep with constant noises)

FOOD - BREAKFAST: The standard english breakfast buffet, a selection of cereals, a variety of different juices, teas and coffee. Freshly made pancakes with many different toppings as well as freshly made omelettes (made to order), cold meats and cheese's, fresh bread etc. Breakfast wasn't at an amazing standard, but it filled a hole and there was definitely something for everyone. LUNCH: Lunch by the pool side at the pool bar came in MASSIVE portions, way to much for one person to eat, especially the pasta dishes and salads. The toasties and burgers came at a regular portion which was good, but they must waste A LOT of food with the amount people left. There was quite a wide range of food, some of the waiters where quite rude and didn't understand a word of english. (one of the waiters was very rude to my aunty and kept shrugging his shoulders at her, walked off and didn't seem at all interested in serving her) The waitress's where very friendly and always served you on time and didn't keep you waiting. EVENING DINNER: Dress code for men (trousers and sandals), ridiculous! Your in Cyprus, you don't want to be wearing trousers! There was a different theme for each night, with a lot to choose from, although none of the food really went together, it was mainly a pick n mix of different foods, they had roasted meat quite a lot which was cooked to perfection (Beef, Pork etc). Not a lot for children to eat at dinner apart from chips and maybe the odd chicken or fish dish. The food was 'OK' not amazing and definitely not 4* but I wasn't going to complain as there was always something that I liked. There was a different range of deserts from cake, rice pudding, ice cream, jelly, fresh fruit. (I did eat out for one night.) DRINKS: Going all inclusive would definitely save you money especially during the day when you want to keep hydrated. Huge variety of drinks, alcoholic and non alcoholic.

STAFF: 'Makis' who works behind the evening bar is great, always happy and up for a laugh and can speak good english 'Martyna' who also works behind the evening bar is really friendly and always seemed happy to help + could speak a bit of english. 'Savos' who works behind the poolside bar is very funny and friendly and speaks english. The majority of staff are very friendly and helpful, how ever there where 2 or 3 male staff that where quite rude. 'Aaron' from 'One stop entertainment' was great, spoke to everyone, arranged many different activities during the day such as water polo, killer darts, canoe races in the sea and table tennis etc. He also arranged the evening entertainment for the hotel which consisted of an ABBA tribute, karaoke, bingo, belly dancer, break dancers, magicians etc. Something for everyone as he even had a kids disco for around half an hour for all the children where they danced and sang.

I loved the location and the area, there where loads of bars which did get quite lively but I am sure its not as mad as Ayia Napa would be and you can't even hear them from the hotel, its only when you step out into the street. A lot of the bars had tribute acts which where great fun, Lady GaGa, Whitney Houston, Robbie Williams, Rhianna and Michael Jackson. I would definitely come back to the same location, how ever I would probably stay in a different hotel as there seemed to be much nicer ones a minute or two down the road. All in all I wouldn't say its 4* but they do make you feel welcome and they do have quite good service, if the hotel was a bit more modern and the food was a little bit better then I would call it 4*.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view room then make sure you reserve one before hand other wise you will have a si...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kirsty B
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Let me start by saying the location is PERFECT. Right on beach, best stretch of beach (Fig Tree is too busy and much smaller). This hotel is dated and not a 4* standard. Rooms were clean but very basic and beds very hard. I haven't seen a bathroom suite like that since the late 80s!! Balcony see view room (we had room 138) was amazing and worth it. This room looks out over 3 angles. The sun loungers were claimed by 'german-style' towel claiming which was sooo annoying. The only ones free were often broken (probably by all the fat guests! Never seen so many fatties) which brings me to the CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS and the portion sizes were so wasteful! We remarked this to the staff but they didn't care! Most of them couldn't speak basic english! Beata, Martyna and Makis behind the bar were fantastic. Good english and always happy.
We turned up to a strike with nothing but 1 bloke behind reception for 2 days!! We stayed from 27/6/12 - 11/7/12. But hey it was for their wages and rights which can't be forecast. Aaron entertainment guy was very good. Water polo, table tennis, french boules,darts, canoe races you name it.
Locals use the pool and hotel which is very annoying!! Worse on the weekends and terrible when they play hard hitting ball games in a modest sized pool when there are small children around!! The gym is nearly unusable due to the lack of air con (trust me on that) and poorly maintained.
Fridge and air con both loud and the air con is so weak it has to be left on all night.
Food is a waste of time. DO NOT GO ALL INCLUSIVE!! The slap up canteen style food is less than average and it is totally silent and void of atmosphere, two nights we grateful for the music next door at Sunrise Beach Hotel for some music!! And yes i agree with the people who said the dress code is stupid in 40C heat when half the men were ignoring the rule of long trousers and sandals anyway!! We were half board and had some lovely meals out were alcohol was cheaper than in the hotel. We highly recommend "The Corner Flambe" restaurant in Protaras, NOT to confuse with the flambe opposite called Diva. This food was to die for and they often do 10% off deals. AMAZING chef!! Great service, we often with hold tips if we don't think they deserve it but here we actually OVER tipped!!
Great for amenities, beach, shops, bars this hotel is right in the middle of all of it.
They need to be more honest about their star rating and reduce the price of the holiday therefore making it better value for money.
Watersports hire guy is right in front of the hotel and is great fun. The wooden promenade is very long and gorgeous to walk down. Hope this helps you guys.

Room Tip: 138 excellent view, quite. Not too high to climb up stairs if you don't take the lifts!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sweetie_suzi
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We arrived on the 27th June after being delayed at newcastle airport only to find out that the hotel was out on strike!! No one from Thomas cook had the decency to be there to brief us and it was left to women from the Silver Sands Hotel who were not receptionists to take the flack.Our room was not ready and we had to go to the Silver Sands Hotel for the evening meal which was absolutely disgraceful, cold food which was supposedly hot! nothing left just scraps!
Had the welcome meeting on the Thursday and the rep for the hotel bless her had to call for back up as no one could provide any answers as to when it was going to end! The poor staff had had money taken out of there wages by the group owner of the hotel without there permission we were told by one member off staff and they kept apologising for going on strike bless them they had all my sympathy!!!

Anyway we were supposed to have a meeting at 6pm that night when we were informed they were coming back to work and services would be returned to normal on the Friday! The poor chef came in and cooked whatever he could in the time to get us a evening meal!!

I came to the hotel 2 years ago and the standard of the hotel has certainly gone down hill in regards to the condition. The staff (well most of them) were lovely and friendly, Lisa our rep was lovely, so was the barman and so was Aaron the entertainer even though he was by himself bless him and run ragged he was excellent but come on hotel give the lad some help your taking advantage!!! so this did make up a lilttle bit of what we had gone through but then they had the cheek to charge us 35 euros to keep our room on fron 12-6 after all the trouble we had gone through!!

The lunchtime restaurant is a disgrace upto 1-2 hours to get served! Why on earth do they not put the lunchtime food up in the restaurant or breakfast room on a buffet help yourself system would save money on staff serving and be a lot quicker!!! We missed two meals as it was so busy so had the priviledge of paying all inclusive only to have to go out for meals !!!

Weather was red hot so that saved the holiday for us but on the the whole paid a lot of money for a sub standard hotel ! Will be a long time before I return. They have told us Tsokkos reads these reviews please do respond to mine!!!!

Room Tip: Dont get in the 60's numbers ground floor view terrible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple