“Very good”

Golden Coast Beach Hotel
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week from 25th Sep 13. The hotel is completely faultless from the food to the staff. Only problem, which is the company. The hotel is about 80% Russian and being English, it made it hard to banter. Got cracking with a nice couple from Durham but apart from them we only had a Scottish family who could speak English and they didn't want to talk. Only thing that the place lacks is a bit of a homey atmosphere.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank rhino24888

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I visited the Golden Coast with my 14 year old son for the half term week in October on a bed and breakfast basis. I rate the hotel as a 3*.

So firstly I had originally asked for a sea or pool view. We were a late check in, it was just past midnight and the hotel was very quiet on arrival. There was a man at the reception whom I later found out does the hours between midnight and morning and wasn't able to sort out any problems if there was any. I was given my keys and I asked if it was a pool view as requested and told no it was a mountain view. He said I would have to wait until morning if I wanted to take this up.

The room itself was okay, but I rate at 3 instead of 4* purely because I have stayed in better previously. It was clean and tidy and the main room was to be fair quite reasonable and comfortable. There was sufficient hanging space for clothes and a free safety deposit box and flat-screen tv on the wall. The bathroom however was a different story, it was clearly in need of refurbishment. There was evidence of previous maintenance with tile replacement but there was also gaps around the shower unit. The hair-dryer was very dated.The shower unit itself was a disappointment, as often in these hotels they are over the bath with a curtain. However the shower was more like a sprinkler, there was no water pressure at all and I later discovered that the water was rarely hot unless you took a shower in the middle of the afternoon with key times across the morning and evening luke warm!

Tea and coffee and a small kettle provided but the maids did not fill this up properly and on at least 4 occasions I had to ask for more and tea which wasn't herbal. There was a mini fridge in the room which I had just thought would open and be full. Wrong again! It was locked and I asked at reception, I was told I had to pay 1.50 euros daily for the key. As I was fed up of asking the maid for milk cartons I paid for the week as I thought I could buy some milk and put in the fridge. When I opened the fridge it was empty and wasn't working, they came and fixed it in the evening so technically I had paid for a day and not been able to use it. It also appeared that the fridges are not filled up unless you ask them to. When I read the hotel information it clearly stated that you cannot put your own drinks in the fridge but when I asked at the reception she told me to buy my own stuff and fill fridge myself as cheaper! conflicting information but hey I filled fridge myself so not all bad...with milk!

So more negatives I am afraid. The pool view, when asked, I was told it was more money! I didn't bother and in the end it turned out to be advantageous as when the sun went down it went to the other side of the hotel so for the last hour of daylight I could sit on balcony in the sun when the pool side was in the shade!

Other minor issues with the room, sound on the movie channel didn't work so couldn't watch it even though in English. They also charged 30 euros a week for internet access or 6 euros a day and then found out you can only connect one device - this was a rip off in my opinion although it was very fast. They charge 40 euros for a 7pm check out which I had to purchase as wasn't leaving for aiport until 11pm.

So the hotel itself, well I had breakfast and if I am honest it was boring. Everyday it was the same thing with hardly any variation. Bacon, eggs, beans, ham and cheese slices, cereals and yoghurts. On the face of it you may think it sounds okay and generally that is how I would describe it, just okay not brilliant. Some of the fruit was tinned and they served a veg dish at the buffet counter, I cannot account for others but I didn't fancy carrots with my breakfast. Coffee and tea was from machine too and the orange juice definitely not freshly squeezed.

I later spoke to another family who had stayed all inclusive and had thought the same about the breakfast as me but they said the all inclusive was equally as mediocre. Not a lot of choices with not much variation day to day but like I said I cannot comment on that. Although they did get sandwiches on arrival in their room when I did not!

The indoor pool is advertised as heated....it was freezing and mostly unsupervised. It was also very deep in places. I did go in the jacuzzi once which was also cold and was full of children messing about so that was also not a positive experience. The gymnasium was worn and there was no one in attendance again and there was children under 16 messing around too.

So for the positives:- Games for the children and adults during the day which I avoid at all costs but know others like it.

friendly staff (mostly) and family centred

Good local bus route

Local Glass Bottom Boats

Lovely beach and harbour
(although charge for the sunbeds and shades)
What I would say though is the hotel not quite in the resort which was fine for me but for others may be an issue.

The weather was fantastic, Cyprus is beautiful (second time I have been) and I strongly recommend the jeep safari into the Troodas mountains, worth the money.

The place is crawling with stray cats which are very friendly and will often come onto your sun bed. Not a problem for me but if you are allergic to cats!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank MichelleHull
Reviewed November 7, 2013

we stayed at the golden coast on the 23 oct for a week.17 of us all together we got married here on the 25 oct.our family suite was great with bunk beds,clean and modern.the hotel wasnt very busy as it was the end of the season which was great all the staff we came across were great,food was very good ,sometimes it didnt look very inviting but eveything l eat was really lovely,entertainment staff were great,my daughter who is seven loved the mini disco and enjoyed the kids club in the day,the setting for this hotel is great the beach is lovely,the walk in to protaras only take about 10 mins the town was very quite not alot going on at all,our wedding was perfect, everything we wanted,they really looked after us,anyone looking to get married in cyprus who doesnt want to pay loads this is a great choice of hotel,

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kerry t
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here in Sept 2013 with our 3year old daughter and my parents. Our room was on the 4th floor and overlooked the pool and bars. Reception staff were friendly and helpful, going out of their way to help us, especially when our daughters teddy bear was accidentally taken with the bedding to the launderers. The cleaning staff work hard and the room was cleaned everyday. They were friendly and welcoming. The room itself was dated and disappointing. The bathroom was old, but served its purpose, however upon seeing my parents room with its lovely glass shower screen, I was gutted. Our daughter was given a fold down bed to sleep on which was rusty on the edges and looked like it had been shoved in as an after thought. The room safe and air con were free to use. The room could have done with a bit more storage, but hey no. Mealtimes: breakfast was ok, offering cereals, toast, continental, and a varied cooked breakfast selection. Lunch and dinner were a bit of a gamble and was not really geared towards vegetarians (vegi options included meat or fish :( ) There was however a separate children's selection which had pizza, veg, etc. This proved to be a very popular for the grown ups too! The head chef was very friendly and took time to speak to us each mealtime. The drinks were fine, especially the spirits and rose wine and were good measures. Entertainment: lots to do if you wanted to around the pool each day, i.e aqua aerobics, volley ball, competitions, etc. The animation team were all multi national and had a broad view on what was entertainment, but were friendly enough. Kids mini disco was ok as were some of the evening shows.
We got married at the hotel. Maria was lovely and very helpful. The marriage area was nice, overlooking the sea and the gift from the hotel was lovely. One thing I would say was that there seemed to be a large number of Russian guests, who were extremely rude and the hotel seemed to be very much geared towards them.
Overall the holiday was good and our wedding was lovely, but I think it needs a bit of tlc to keep its 4 stars.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen E
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Having had a disastrous two weeks holiday in Pratarus in May. We booked in the Golden Coast only because we couldn't get Tenerife the weeks we wanted to go. However we found it very good. Location was excellent, we were offered an upgrade at a discount which we took, the sea view room was well worth the extra. Food we though was quite good with plenty of variety, although we heard some people moaning, but we couldn't understand why! Entertainment for the kids was very good, albeit a bit naff for adults. But on the whole we found the hotel and staff very good. It's a hotel we would be happy to go back to.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed October 21, 2013

When we arrived, we stepped into a used room that wasn't cleaned at all. At the front desk we got another room, but it was obvious that we were a huge burden to the employee. He didn't even bother with an apology. The room was big and almost empty. We didn't really see the point of having so much space if there is nothing in it. Maybe it was a bit too much to expect a desk at a place like this, but the tiny table didn't do for two people who want to write.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Saskia B
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel looks the dogs on photos, the internet and in brochures, but as soon as you arrive outside your heart will sink a bit it looks like a 2 star from the outside. Reception area is nice enough And location wise it's lovely with its own beach and little harbour, however needs a massive overhaul, our room was pretty basic with a nasty old carpet, bedding was dated with holes in, same for the shower curtain and towels. You can't get a decent sleep walls are paper thin, it's absolutely packed full of Russians who are very rude and think they own the place, probably because the hotel absolute favours them over us. Loved the bar staff, they were lovely, the food isn't up to much, we had breakfast there once and ate out for the rest of the holiday. Needs a 3 star rating.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple