“Don't Believe The Hype...”

Pernera Beach Hotel
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Ok, where do I start...My girlfriend and myself have just come back from a two week holiday in Cyprus and stayed at Pernera Beach, I have been to Cyprus 6 times (this was my 7th) as my family is from there, but I wanted to take my girlfriend as she has never been. The price was very good and the hotel looked OK so I came on Trip Advisor, as we usually do to check peoples comments. I was blown away by everyones feedback and there didn't seem to be any negatives so we booked two weeks Half Board through First Choice.

Room - We had a sea-view, which we paid a bit more for but if you don't then you would be facing a car park and some unfinished buildings! The view is fantastic and the room is very clean (considering it 3*), but that's where it ends. The beds are the hardest I've ever slept on and were two separate beds pushed together. We also had the privelige of having a connecting room, which was fine when nobody was next to you but be warned!!....the second week we were there another couple moved in next door and we heard absolutly everything they were saying and doing (and I mean EVERYTHING!!), this resulted in us being woken up by them at a variation of 1am-5am for three or four nights!!! We let it go on for two nights, as obviously we're a young couple ourselves so didn't want to come across as putting a downer on their holiday, but on the 3rd night after being woken up at 3:30am I went next door to bang on their door but they were so loud that they didn't hear! I went downstairs but there was no night porter on duty, the next morning I spoke to the Cypriot lady on reception who books the rooms and she had zero sympathy, even adding a bit of arrogance to her tone also! She refused to move us rooms and said "they can't control how people act in rooms" and her only solution was to "tell the rep." I found this to be very playground like and showed that the hotel did not want aything to do with this problem and tried to palm this off onto First Choice, when it was their roof that this was happening under! I obviously argued back but the words Brick and Wall sprung to mind! The lack of insulation obviously effected me and my girlfriend as we had to whisper at all times, especially when in the bathroom which is bordering on ridiculous.

Hotel Entertainment - If you are a young person you will probaby be like us and find the entertainment mind-numbing, this resulted in us finding other places to drink where you could actually have a conversation. The entertainment area is outside and extremely noisy, my girlfriend and myself are used to going to bars and clubs in London and even I thought it was stupidly loud, going on until sometimes 12am! I did hear two older people complaining and asking to move rooms but to be honest we were one of the furthest sea-views away and it was still extremely audible! I feel sorry for older people and people with small babies who would surelt have found it hard to get to sleep with it!

There is a mini-disco for kids, but for some unknown reason it is done in front of the bar so everyone can watch. The result is people being forced to watch kids play party games and some of the kids are to embarassed to go up because all the adults are there, why not do the disco in private so the kids can have a dance, relax and not be concious of the adults having to watch them???!!!

Most of the entertainment after the mini-disco is third rate and is the type of entertainment that gets buzzed off on Britains Got Talent at the first stage We had two different Robbie Williams impersonators, the first sounded like him but sang all Rat Pack songs and the second didn't sound like him at all to the point that I thought that I may even give it a go myself! There was a parrot show, on at 10pm???? A drag act, which basically revolves aroud two men dressed as women miming to camp cabaret songs for an hour..I thought we had tome-travelled to 1970 because surely entertainment has come on futher than that??!! They also did a tacky Miss/Mr Prenera which was a light sample version of 18-30's holidays which invited a handful of men/women to run around getting kisses and downing half pints...snooze!

There is a special mention for Blues Brothers and a young Scottish girl singer who were both extremely good. At one point the girl was heckled because she "wasn't singing directly at a guy in the audience".... poor girl.

Location - The location is quite good, although the very best beach is Fig Tree Bay and that was about 35-45 mins walk and I regularly keep fit. We used to always go to the beach as you will get pestered with the same music and the animation team. Pernera beach is a 2 mins walk, but the quickest way round the back means a walk across a bit of a rocky path. The beaches along the newly built promenade are some of the best I've seen and very clear, another warning though is the 7.50 euro charge for the sunbeds (2.50 for umbrella and 2.50 per sunbed). I thought it ws worth the price just to get away from same people you see evryday and the hotel.

Food - I've had a lot of Cypriot food and the standard was very good and quite reasonablt priced. We ate out for lunch and even a few dinners (even though we were half board). There is a nice restaurant to the left (if your looking at the sea). Can't remember what its called but its the first one you come too. For lunch the Polo's Restaurant on Prenera beach is very nice.

The food in hotel was quite good, but some of the meat was very fatty and sometimes on the bone. The service at dinner was very prompt and the waitors were friendly and very efficient. The view was also another positive. The Cypriot and Greek night was a huge letdown however.

Things to do - We didn't just want to sit by the pool like most people do so we booked to got to Paphos and also to Kykoss monestry which was a nice change of scenery. We also went to the waterpark which was very good also, but I'd advise getting there early as it gets extremly busy. Another tip is to get buses when going as far as Ayai Napa as all journeys are just 1.50 euro (one way).

Nightlife - If your one of those people who loves have England in the sun then the nightlife in Pernera, Protaras and Ayia Napa is your kinda place!! They have loads of tacky themed bars with chavvy music and more low budget entertainers. It reminded us of a smaller version of Southend or Blackpool, not positive. If your young and looking for trendy bars there aren't many, we found one or two along the coast which overlooked the sea but weren't too pricey at all.

Weather - The weather was amazing, nearly 40c when we were there but by the sea there is a nice sea breeze.

Overall - I'm not trying to put anyone off going to Cyprus,to the contrary. I've gone out of my way to write this review as I feel so strongly that someone shouldn't have their hard earned money wasted by booking this hotel. Cyprus is such a beautiful place that I wouldn't want you too waste you money going here. If I was to summarise I would say that if your looking for a quiet place to spend some time with your loved ones then this is not the place for you. Me and my girlfriend will obviously go back to Cyprus because minus the hotel we had a fanstastic time, but I would pay a little extra for a better hotel...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Kippers81

Reviewed June 4, 2009

Just got back from a one week stay at the Pernera Beach booked with first choice. On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist (who may I add was english) was very friendly and got us our room straight away. Once we arrived at the room we were shocked at how clean it was, not many 3*/3*+ hotels are as spotless as this one - a little dated - but you are only there to sleep in it!

Our room had an amazing view, over looking the crystal clear sea, and overlooking the pool area - it really was amazing.

Food: Limited choice for vegetarians - especially those who dont eat fish either. (I eat chicken but it was on the bone and i'm not to keen!) Lots of salad avaliable and a lot of fish/meats. Also a lot of pasta but on some days had squid/prawns in.

Pool bar: Excellent choice of food from this bar, great value, and they pile your plate up - so it helped having a substancial lunch even if there wasnt much you could eat on the evening

Drinks: Happy hour is between 8-9pm and cocktails were half price, but was quite expensive to pay for drinks after 9pm - especially with the cocktails priced at 5euros +, so a bottle of vodka and a few juices on the balcany was ace, admiring the view.

Area: Protaras was quite a long walk in the day, taking around 30 mins, as was very hot to walk along in the day, but at night we got to protaras in about 20 mins and was lovely, although half way along this walk the lights were out - so wouldnt recommend walking along it any time after 10pm.
Taxi's quite cheap at 7/8 euros 1 way into protaras.

May I also add that the hotel had free wifi in the reception area.

Overall: Excellent hotel, amazing weather, topping 30+ degrees, amazing pool to cool down in and crystal clear water just a minute walk from the hotel. Would definatly reccomend this hotel.

Animation Team were very good as well keeping children entertained, although it got a little bit annoying as they played the same songs every day.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank steven19
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Have just come back from a week's stay at the Pernera Beach Hotel and had a fantastic time. The hotel is in a fabulous location - right on the beach front and near to several bars and restaurants. Nice pool and plenty of places to sunbathe in the hotel but we chose to pay to use sunbeds on the beach - a stone's throw away from the hotel. Lovely clean beach and clear sea - if a little cold!

Food ok but not huge choice. Lots of great salads and all meals freshly cooked. Try the Meze restaurant in the town one night for an authentic home-cooked moussaka - very nice.

Hotel staff lovely - especially on reception. Really nice (though not cheap) bar and evening restaurant looks over the bay - beautiful. Evening entertainment not great but good atmosphere and lots of pool tables/games to keep you occupied. Hotel animation team very friendly but would have been irritating if we'd chosen to sit by the pool as a bit relentless.

Rooms basic but clean. Air conditioning worked but did not really do anything so could be very warm at night.

Took the bus to Aiya Napa (1.50 euro return) which was worth the trip for a change of scene. The seafront walk to Protaras was a lovely way to spend an evening - especially if you stop for cocktails at the other end before heading back. Plenty of other excursions available if you don't want to sit in very hot sun all day.

Overall, the hotel catered for all personalities and ages and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flowertrees
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Have just returned from a week's holiday. Our family consists of mum, dad and two teenagers (19 and 16).

Although a bit far away from Protaras centre, this suited us perfectly. The centre was easily accessible via newly installed decked promenade along the seafront or short taxi ride (8 euros).

ROOMS - need updating, but perfectly comfortable. Most have beautiful sea views.

FOOD - really good (and we're quite fussy). Good choice each morning and evening and the Greek Tavern where lunch and/or evening meal are taken is overlooking the horseshoe shaped bay and is quite beautiful, especially with the moon on the sea.

ENTERTAINMENT - enough for everyone and Reps try really hard to keep everyone involved or leave people alone who wish to be left alone. Most evenings there is a short professional show of some sort, which is very good for a 3*+ hotel.

We have stayed in two five star hotels nearby before (Constantinos the Great in Protaras and The Adams Beach in Nissi Bay) and both were poor in relation to the Pernera Beach, both by way of food and entertainment and lack of local charm.

LOCATION - perfect for us, but could be a little out of the way for some. Wonderful cove and swimming areas and mainly sandy beach. Many little taverns for lunch/dinner, but some more costly than others. Well tended, spacious gardens.

PRICES - bar prices quite expensive, but this seems to be the case generally since the euro reared its ugly head. A good and inexpensive little cafe is a 15 minute walk along the promenade towards Protaras. It is called Zafeiros and is clean, friendly and well run.

FOR A WEDDING - lots of attention and care was taken by the staff for a wedding which took place whilst we were there. I would recommend this hotel if you are thinking of getting married in Cyprus.

GENERAL - excellent hotel overall. Our daughter has already booked to return in October.

IMPORTANT - Try booking through Monarch Holidays in the first instance. They are cheaper than Olympic or First Choice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Cyprus2009
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Just returned from a week at Pernera Beach, the hotel was great, but unfortunately the weather was not so good. Service was excellent, particularly George who looked after us in the restaurant each night. Food at both breakfast and dinner was very good with lots of choice and good quality. I was presented with a bottle of wine and savoury nibbles on my birthday, which the staff must have noted from my passport as I did not tell them, this was excelleant gesture. Room was OK and the maid service was very good, The hotel is a good 30 minutes walk from Protaras town but the coastal path is sell worth taking. There are numerous bars/tavernas and restaurants nearby,

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evargsum
Reviewed April 24, 2009

The hotel was exactly as describe in the brochures, it well deserves its 3*+ rating and was well worth the money we paid for our two week holiday break over Easter.

Rooms were lovely and clean and we were lucky enough to get one on the end of the block so had dual aspect, a view to the sea and one over the tops of the houses inland.

We went half board and breakfast was the what you would expect, continental, full english, fruit and yoghurt were all avaliable. Dinner also had plenty of variety, there was always something for everyone.

The pool area was fantastic, as usual sunbeds were reserved by people but aslong as you went down before about 10 there were still plenty avaliable, this may change as it gets busier leading up to summer. The pool was lovely if a little cold, the April sun didn't seem to warm it up too much.

The entertainment team were the best I've experienced at a 3* hotel, although some activities were a taken very seriously, e.g. volleyball, and were clearly not organised for the children but rather for the competitive adults. I never once saw a match between anyone except the adults and saw many children turned away when they asked to join in even when it was one the childrens ball being used!
Some people even spent extra time practicing full blown play tactics to then use against unsuspecting families unaware of the seriousness of the game. All that being said it was amusing to watch people play and getting really into the game.

We didn't use the little rocky shores of the hotel to go in the sea, we went to the small beaches either side of the hotel to avoid treading on any sea urchins attached to the rock, but there are quite a few different species of fish to see when snorkelling including a few brightly coloured tropical species.

Pernera is a small resort with a handful of shops and restaurants, Protaras is a 1 euro 50 bus journey south, you can also catch buses to Lefkosia and Larnaca from a bus stop up the road, 10 euro return to Larnaca and 15 return to Lefkosia. Bus companies we used were Green Buses (AKA: Inter city) and Leopa. We went to both towns and both had plenty to see to justify atleast a day at each, including the Cyprus Museum at Lefkosia.

During our stay we did venture over the UN controlled border to the Turkish occupied areas, I would definitely recommend a trip to Famagusta and the ancient ruins of Salamis. I would also mention not to book these site seeing trips with your tour operator as they are a fraction of the price if booked with local tour companies such as EMAN. Our tour rep openly lied to us and stated that no other tour operators in Cyprus would take people across the border but several bus companies offer the same tours as they do, so don't take their word for it.

If we went to Cyprus again I'm not sure we'd stay at the east end of the island again, purely because we would like to explore the rest of Cyprus, and Paphos and Lemesos are too far to travel to from the east end for the day. I would also be tempted to rent a car if I were to visit again as it would make travelling this rather large island easier and open up the less accessable areas such as the Troodos.

I would also like to note that if people want to stay somewhere with easy access to all the attractions within a short distance then Cyprus isn't the island for you because everything is spaced out so that no one resort would provide that. There is so much to see that really it requires two holidays, one for the east (Protaras/Agia Napa) and one for the west (Paphos/Lemesos).

Overall this was a brilliant holiday in a lovely quiet resort, the Pernera beach delivered everything it said it would. The weather was wonderful around 25 degrees everyday, I think Cyprus offers a lot, we went for both the sun and the history along with the archaelogical sites on offer

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Josephine88
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights in April 09 with my fiancee. We had trouble finding the hotel to start off with as we had our own car. It's not well signposted!!! Once we found it, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was fantastic. Nice big room, great sea view. The hotel is in a great setting. We stayed B&B so can only comment on the breakfast which was ok. Would go back again as the staff were friendly and welcoming and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple