“Foods shocking and I'm not sure they know the words health a safety”
Review of Polycarpia Hotel

Polycarpia Hotel
Ranked #65 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
London, United Kingdom
“Foods shocking and I'm not sure they know the words health a safety”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Let's just start by saying Cyprus was a lovely place and it was the relaxing holiday me and my partner needed.

Sadly the hotel let theirselves down a bit. On arrival the hotel and rooms seemed nice. We were shown through to dinner which was shockingly bad. I'm really not a fussy eater and hate waste but I couldnt eat it. We were half board so had breakfast and changed dinner for a lunch there which was better but still not great.

We were having a good time and for the price we paid cant moan about much more until the 5 night when we were kept awake but the staff having drinks and playing loud music till the early hours. (to late teen blondes had arrived in the hotel and were clearly the staffs 'prey' as they were the only guests with them.

Following that over the next 2 days work men used sun beds to cover over large manholes which was clearly dangerous and the staff on their breaks took over the pool playing water polo between themselves not caring who they hit with the ball.

Can the manager get a grip of his staff stop them taking over from paying guests and improve the inedible food.

Me and my partner are both quite fit but for people who don't like a walk beware it's a 20 - 30 walk to the centre of pataras along the beach path.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank bizza1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I came to Stay at the polycaria for the first 2 weeks in september 2011 . I came with 6 adults and a 7 month year old child . My partner used to work in cyprus 9 years ago and at that time know the polycaria had a bad name for it's poor service and looking like it was still in the 1980's . On arriving at the polycaria my oartner noticed strate away that there had not been any changes with-in the 10 year gap from the last time she had been their apart from a new pool area. We had booked a 4* hotel but no means was this even a 3*. We were given our keys and shown the lift area . On the lift arriving we had to step up into the lift due to the lift not meeting the floor correctly and thought out the holiday the lift would go to far down or too high by 6-8 inchs .this had to be judged daily due to having a pram.When we got to our floor we were met by dirty carpets and peeling wall paper . In our room we had requested a cot for my son but the cot they had given us was held together with string . I complained and the cot was removed and placed in the fire excape ( lucky no fire otherwise we would of been knacked ) The next morning we had are welcome meeting with martin the most un-helpful rep of all time . After he had finished his speak about him self and the things he likes on the island both myslef and my family spoke to him regarding the poor state of the hotel . He smiled then gave us a sad story regarding the old hotel manager who had died and were all the staff had left . Sorry not my problem. We continued to complain with-in the 2 week holiday to martin but as you can guess nothing ever got done. All he did was pass the buck.I had to 5 times go and ask for clean sheets and towels . And not at any time was our room cleaned ( cups etc ) We had to hire the fridge in the room due to having a baby which cost me an extra £30 .
The pool area was dirty the pool looked like it had never been cleaned in the time it had been opened . When we stayed here we have met around 50 other people that also were very unhappy with the hotel and had complained to the legend Martin . So if you thinking of staying here please please think again in simple terms its a [--] hole . The best part of the holiday was going to all the other pubs and clubs in the area.

Room Tip: Dont Stay here if you have any sence . If you have already booked change now before its to late.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MarkB1974_11

Travelers are raving about these Protaras hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We returned yesterday after 2 weeks at the Polycarpia. Having read previous reviews, we went with a very open mind. Yes, the hotel is badly in need of a facelift. The air-con is poor, the carpets threadbare, the curtains ripped and the pool/pool furniture needed a good clean/replacing. That said, the weather, food and the staff (especially Joy), more than made up for the short-comings. Daniel the entertainer tried his best (his bingo calling was quite funny!). At the moment the hotel could not be classed as 4 star (3 at a push).... but if the alleged refurbishment takes place, it will be a very nice hotel in a good position and a lovely resort. All in all, we enjoyed our holiday thoroughly, and look forward to returning to Protaras next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed at the polycarpia from the 12th August 2011 to 19th August. The hotel was lovely, food and service was excellent. We stayed all inclusive so had plenty of options for all meals. all cocktails, hot beverages, and water was included! We were a little disappointed about the childrens play area it def needs worked on but apart from that no complaints!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2011

booked our holiday then read the reviews left on trip advisor - nearly changed accomodation as we were expecting to be met by basil fawlty on our arrival - but then there are alot of victor meldrews in the world so we went expecting 3* as the brochure stated and got 3*......

we stayed all inclusive which we found to be better as the hotels prices are expensive i.e 9.50 for a chicken sandwich + side order of chips - we found the breakfast to have lots of choice. we didnt have lunch as the snack menu had a great choice and you could eat at the pool side. dinner had a different choice of food very day - we didnt have any complaints on the quality. The drinks were available all inclusive until 12 midnight after this time you had to pay - but there is a few bars just outside the hotel which are cheaper.

the hotel itself is clean but just needs an uplift - i believe it has recently been taken over by the tsokkos hotel group and they plan over the next few years to update this hotel.

one of the swimming pools is used 5 days a week by locals for swimming lessons but there is plenty of room at the main pool and once the contract with the schools has been fulfilled which i believe in the next 2 years they wont be renewing this - although the kids are very well behaved - so didnt see this as a problem.

the entertainer on our stay - day time activites: water aerobics, 12 o'clock lunch time cocktail quiz, water polo around 3pm, darts. Evening: bingo 9:30, quiz ..... the quizes are hard but its the taking part !! he does try !!

the beach is a 5/10 min walk and 20 min walk to potaras (or anout 7 euros in a taxi or you can get the bus)

Staff are friendly and helpful.

If you travel to this hotel expect 3* and you'll enjoy your holiday - expect 4* plus pay the extra and go to a hotel that states this status.

Met some lovely friends on this holiday

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kewilson1
Reviewed May 24, 2011

After reading a few bad reviews about this destination and we actually rung the airline to try and swap hotels, we never did swap hotels and I'm glad we didnt the holiday was fantastic we stayed in October and the weather was fantastic. The staff was fantastic and it didn't take them long to remember our drink orders! Although the entertainment wasn't the best, you make a holiday what it is and in my opinion only boring people have a boring time. The food was delious you had the buffet for tea and the theme changed every night for dinner and snacks you would order these from the pool bar and you had a full menu of items to choose from and for breakfast you had the usual but delious continental breakfast. The entertainment on the night times was good apart from the bingo but I didn't like it because I never won the staff are more than happy to help out and they will show you the night life in the surrounding areas after they finish there shift of your not sure where to go.
We all had a fabulous time and I would defiantly recommend this resort

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Sara199
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I have lots of photos go to my facebook account james hewitt to see the rest (maybe easier to find me by a group search May '89)

The hotel is not in Protaras, but in a neighbouring area called Vrysi, 2-3 miles to Protaras.
Arrived, greeted by Basil and Sybil, from the North of England (I'm Northern, but there's Northern and there's Northern).

No room for us, but given an apartment, sounds nice, but a closer description would be a crappy bedsit....oozed tacky, they looked embarrassed by giving us this room, we could see why. Took ages to sort this out, went for a G’n’T just to calm our nerves, they refused to serve us as it was 3 minutes past 12, got Mrs Fawlty to sort this out.

Was given a hotel room the next day...not big enough to swing a mouse...
On holiday with my wife and 5 year old. Given a double room with a camper bed...yes £700 for a camper bed.

Food is just a joke, I've been on plenty of All-inclusive hotels, where you get a large choice of strange food, this was a small choice of recycled rubbish.
As the week went on, you could recognise the food from the previous days, the baked potatoes must have latest them 4 days.

The dining room....my son describes it as "GLOOMY", little staff, only a few could manage a smile, the same staff popped up doing different jobs around the hotel, started calling them Polly (as in Fawlty Towers).

Breakfast is funny, limited cooked breakfast, limited drinks, limited cereals) and 6 toasters (only one good one...the black one). Good job we brought our own HP sauce!
Dinner is outside with the sparrows, that is the highlight of the hotel, a choice of reasonable food...tip is 'if you have to make it fresh...order it', a toasty for instance.

There are 3 pools, 2 of them had little people round them, that’s' because there were a few loungers. The main pool itself was a nice temp, 6 unsecured drains, 2 redundant water fountains, one with a dodgy protruding screw...very unsafe. Dotted around the pool are small metal uncovered tubes for parasols, if you slipped and hit your head of one of these, you would die (not over the top, I'm a nurse) I could see the potential danger here. The loungers were in the main were broken, ripped and generally falling apart. The side tables all looked fire damaged...should be white, but they're grey / black.

4 x toilets in metal huts next to the pool and dining area, dine to the fresh smell of pee!

Other funny (not really) things you could buy pints of Larger or get a haircut in the Salloon (yes spelt wrong) or check out time is 12am.

The manager doubled as evening entertainer, bingo caller, yes it as bad as that.
She did attempt to be nice, but it seemed to be forced, we were pleasant back, but the last 48 hours was uncomfortable, we had to beg for a late checkout room, told we could have one an hour before we had to leave our room.

Entertainments were basic, the poor (one) girl doing it doubled as meet and greet at the dining room. played a game how many times she said 'your'. "your bingo"...”Your water polo"

The kids play area is a death trap, 6 things (plastic slides etc) with protruding dangerous sharp areas over them.

Staff (all 5 of them, there were more, but it seemed like that) need to smile, for crying out loud.

There is a strange system of ordering drinks & food signing the receipt and placing it in a pint pot on the bar. Seamless not!

IF THERE IS A GOOD REVIEW OF THIS PLACE THEN THEY'VE NEVER BEEN TO A GOOD HOTEL. AND THEY LIKE KARAOKE / BINGO / TATOO'S... get my drift?

All this writing has brought back the horror of it all, I could go on, I'm no snob, just like a four star hotel when I pay for a four star hotel. All in all we tried to have a nice time, and did away from the hotel, ignoring the terribly funded hotel...needs a serious facelift to make it 3 star at least.

2 good points (near to beach (5 min walk) and the pool temperature was good).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family