“good hol, amazing entertainment team”

Tsokkos Sun Gardens Hotel Apartments
Ranked #54 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
nottingham
“good hol, amazing entertainment team”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The complex - We have just returned from this complex having had 2 weeks all inclusive. The complex itself is nice, spacious and has good facilities. The pools are lovely, warm, big and plentiful. There are lots of sunbeds and we never saw a shortage even though we went in the school summer holls. I felt the complex wasnt well cared for. When we have visited other hotels you would always see maids cleaning around the grounds, picking up bursted lilos etc but this didnt happen and its a shame because it could make a huge difference. We stopped in the apartments which were fine, dated but a good size and you dont stop in your room long so it was ok. However again the rooms wernt well kept, maids would come in change your towels and make your beds (only change bedding once a week which I dont think is enough when you got suncreams, aftersun etc all over your bedding) but their cleaning skills were poor. There was little evidence of any cleaning throughout the 2 weeks. Bathroom and kitchen area never cleaned. Again this has to be the worst I have ever had whilst abroad. I think the hotel really needs to sort this out, they are aware of it because lots of people complained and it was being swept under the carpet. The safety deposit boxes were small and expensive.
Food - the food was fine, we always found something to eat. the al la carte menu is good not many all incl guests knew about it the only thing is the times that can be used :(. The restaurant is good, a kids section with nuggets, chips, fish fingers, cheese pies etc. They have themes each night to try and get a bit of variety. Hotel manager please take up that carpet in the restaurant its horrid and smells and is dangerous too. The snacks are good too from the pool bar.
The entertainment team - These young people are brilliant, a credit to Thomas Cook, they are full of energy and do their job well. To be honnest I think they are keeping the hotel afloat as they are the biggest asset, they earn every penny of their wages. Paris, Kier and Aliese are super they made us feel welcome from day 1. They include the kids and adults, they knew everyones name and did a fab job providing entertainment throughout the day and early evening. My only suggestion to improve the entertainment would be to have more outside acts in for the later slot similar to the hypnotist, and this suggestion is only to make the entertainment even better. If you get chance to see Jim the hypnotist watch him he was brilliant and even did us a private hypnosis.
The Reps - Pete and Abi - they were nice. Pete was up for a laugh, his dancing needs work! Probabally the most I have ever seen reps around a complex which was nice and reasurring.
Kids club - My kids didnt use the club however the girls appeared friendly and when i saw them interacting with the kids they were good and they seemed to know what they were doing. It was all calm and controlled.
The staff - the staff were good, happy, friendly I always try and speak to them with respect using manners and a smile and this was returned although not everyone does this and I can see why sometimes they get a little fed up. Magique the young waiter was nice eye candy lol and the teenage girls liked him, he was good as his job too. The bar staff were nice and happy for you to have as many drinks as you want which kept the bar moving which is good. The staff in the apartments on reception were English, they were helpful and friendly.
The area - for us it was a little out of the way, maybe a bit too far from the main strip of Protarus. A good 25 minute walk but not anything to ruin the holiday. The beach is close 5 mins at the most.
In general - We had a good 2 weeks, the weather was beautiful, the beach was close, the food was good, the people were super a few little tweeks and this hotel could be excellent but dont let it put you off. If you want your kids to be entertained and you are up to join in games, killer pool, boules etc then you will enjoy it. Paris, Kier and Aliese wont let you do know other :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank familyNottingham

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the Tsokkos Sun Garden Apartments for 11 nights all inclusive 2 adults, 2 children aged 14 & 11 1st August. I was very concerned about coming here as the reviews were not good.When we got to our room we were horrified at the poor state. The bathroom was the main issue, hairs left from the previous occupants, black ceiling, tiles were filthy, toilet didn't flush properly, shower was held in place by what looked like chewing gum.The floors needed a very good wash.It gave you black feet if walking bare footed. The sink in the kitchen had white marks in it and looked disgusting.A bonus was that the air conditioning did work well which was very much needed as temperatures were 40 degrees.
You had to pay a deposit of 10 euros for the air con remotes which you get back at the end of your holiday. Beach towels can also be hired for 10 euros per towel, again refund at the end. The safe boxes were at reception and not in your rooms ( that is non refundable). Tina is a receptionist at sun garden apts and we found her very helpful.
The complex itself was lovely. The tssokos sun garden apts and tssokos garden apts share the facilities of the tssokos gardens hotel. There was a main pool and the two apts had their own pool which were quieter. We preferred the main pool.The entertainment team were fantastic. Paris, Kier, Aleise and Ainsley worked very hard and knew the guests very well. Lots going on so you'll never be bored. Sunbeds were plentiful but if you want to get around the main pool you do need to reserve a bed early. The pools needed maintaining, they seemed clean when we first arrived but were looking dirty towqrds the end of our holiday. Me and my son got an ear infection which i think were from the pools.
All inclusive guests couldn't have bottles of water unless paying for them. You could have water from the dispenser behind the bar in a glass but no bottles were free. We bought a bottle then would fill that bottle up at breakfast. Andreas one of the supervisors is really lovely. He would take the time to talk to you.
The meals were good, lots of choice and food was hot. If you got to dinner later on there would be a queue. You do need to check the plates as some come through dirty. I feel very sorry for the waiters and waitresses. They work very hard but look so unhappy. I witnessed a waitress being told off by a supervisor and i asked her if she was ok, she said he told her she is not going fast enough.
At the end of your holiday all inclusive finishes at 12noon and reception cut your wristbands off and issue you with a meal voucher for lunch or evening. We asked our thomas cook rep about this on the departure day. He told us to keep them on as they dont know who's who. We had a late departure so paid 26 euros to keep our room till 6pm. We therefore didn't go near reception until we handed in the keys so we could carry on receiving free drinks until handing in the keys. We told them we were out all day. I think Mr Tssokos has become very greedy this year!
It takes about 25 minutes to walk into Protaras which is a lovely walk. It is worth a visit to Fig tree bay and Nissi Beach (absolutely stunning). We went to the water park in Ayia Napa. Very pricey but well worth a day out.
All in all we had a great holiday but the dirtyness let it down. A refurbishment is wanted big time. I would go back to Cyprus but wouldn't stay here again as it is not clean enough for me. We have booked to go to Pavlo Napa Beach Hotel next year and feel we wont be dissapointed. The reviews are excellent!

Room Tip: apartments are spacious but refurb needed
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houghton regis
Reviewed July 31, 2012

went there in october last year with my sister and parents, enjoyed the holiday, as there was lots of space, good size pool, beach was within walking distance as were some restaurants ( didn't try any as we were all inclusive) we went for a walk up to this nice little church on a hill which had a tree next to it with people's messages and wishes etc. tied to it- it is often used in pictures of cyprus in brouchures etc.

the hotel itself was clean spacious and comfortable, had a nice view from the balcony. restaurant had a good choice of food- coconut ice cream was the best!! lots of fresh fruit and veg as well as hot foods like pizza chips and some more authentic dishes.

also had a snack bar out by the pool which was nice if you didn't want to go in for lunch ( which my sister didn't, she made me go up to the snack bar to get her a burger and chips as she didn't want to leave her sunlounger!) you could always get a burger or chips, even did a vegi burger which was very yummy! brownie points for that! also did drinks and ice cream at the snack bar and main bar outside in front of the restaurant. There is an indoor pool and gym, with some pool tables outside which seemed quite popular. Staff seemed very friendly and helpful, my dad was especially pleased as during our holiday the F1 grand prix was on, and not wanting to miss out he asked the manager to put it on the TV in reception, which the manager kindly agreed to, and even sat and watched it with my dad and some other guests! so very welcoming, that was really nice. Hotel may not look much from the outside, but it doesn't have to look like a palace to the do the job of a relaxing holiday! T

would definatley recommend this hotel, it was a great holiday for a great price.

Room Tip: seem to remember some ground floor apartments opposite one of the pools, so they look like pretty go...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kimiquinn
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Hotel & appartments are a good 30 min walk from the main strip,or €1 each on the bus (which was always packed) or €8 in a taxi,all rooms are very dated stuck in the 1980,rooms where clean (although the maids did go strike for 3 days ! ) The freezer didn't work well at all,beds where ok,The pools where very nice,free air con in both rooms was good,safe deposit boxes where behind reception which was strange but I can understand it,& for
A small fee u get a key

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Ryanlucy
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We live in Cyprus and have stayed at many of the hotels on the island but this is the most disappointed we have been in a hotel/apartments. The sun garden apartments share the facilities of the supposed **** Tsokkos Gardens hotel next door. The apartments are very basic and tired but appeared to be clean. Having arrived and the only lift being out of order, we couldn't access our room on 3rd floor with cases and a pram for nearly an hour! When getting to apartment and requesting a kettle and microwave as advertised, they managed to locate a working microwave on 3rd attempt. The staff in the apartments reception were helpful although lacking in knowledge (didn't know how to upgrade to all inclusive and were unsure about paying for aircon). The reception staff in the main hotel were at best unhelpful and at worst rude. The majority of the waiting staff seemed to be polite and friendly though. I don't know where the other people ate that gave rave reviews about the food but I can't see how it can be here, the food was appalling, served burnt some times, tasting of detergent and generally sub standard. The best food came from the snack menu served from the bar!!! I can say that the pool areas were great and the entertainment team were fantastic and were the only things going for this hotel/apartments. There are a number of budget accoms in Protaras far better than here and not pretending to have four star facilities, for far less money!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Protaras hotels

Hereford
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We booked 3 days before traveling and while it wasn't the cheapest deal, having had a fab week I was really pleased with the deal we had. On arrival we were allocated a garden bungalow which as detailed below was very private, spacious for the two of us and was kept fabulously clean. The food in the hotel was superb ( I would defy even the pickiest eater not to find something they liked) and while we would normally venture to a local restaurant even if we have gone AI we didn't feel the need this time. We did, however, venture out to some of the local bars on the occasions when we wanted a change of scene and to get away from the hotel entertainment. That's not to say the entertainment was not good, it's just that it is not really our scene. From what I saw the Thomas Cook team were, however, very good with the kids and there was the usual mix of pool games, bingo and quizzes as well as night time shows and the obligatory Karaoke! With this being one thing we did actually stay for and with my actually having taken part, I am still waiting for my call from Simon Cowell!
I was impressed with the fact that there was a dress code at night in the main restaurant as it helped create a pleasant dining atmosphere, but I wasn't impressed with the fact that many diners stacked their plates at the buffet and then left half of it. remember people it's a buffet, you can always go back for seconds! My only small beef about the service at the hotel was the fact there was only a certain amount of the bar available to be served at, so it meant queues which even during the quieter time we were there was frustrating. I hate to think what it would be like in the height of the season when the hotel was full.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our week here, helped as always by the fabulous weather, the quietness of the resort and the area and the excellent staff. We again met some great people who helped make the week and would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to others.

Room Tip: ask for a garden bungalow, they are at the far edge of the resort and are very private
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Gill G
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from our holiday at the apartments and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We went all inclusive and would definitely recommend doing it as the drinks seemed expensive. 6 euros for a beer and a cup of tea my boyfriend overheard. The food was lovely and we always had full stomachs. There are plenty of bars around within walking distance and if you want it more lively, protaras is about 20 minutes walk or you can hop on a bus. A lot of places were starting to close down for the winter when we were there so I would be reluctant to go much later in the year. All in all, we loved it and would return. I don't understand how anybody couldn't like it. There are a few parts to the hotel, being the hotel, apartments and some bungalow style apartments. We stayed in the apartments which had a bedroom, bathroom and living area.

• Stayed October 2011
8 Thank cherry201077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Protaras
Tsokkos Polycarpia Hotel
Papantonia Hotel Apartments
Artemis Hotel Apartments
Artemis Hotel Apartments
#46 of 65 in Protaras

Been to Tsokkos Sun Gardens Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!