“Great service, but no vegan options on menu.”
Review of Caffe Spice

Caffe Spice
Ranked #11 of 52 Restaurants in Larne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Lovely people running this cafe in a slightly tired building. Nice friendly ambience inside. They veganised two of the vegetarian options for us and then brought them with an egg mayonaise! They quickly rectified this though, and were aplologetic. Food was satifying but uninspiring. With a little thought they could do much better. Minus points for not having a soy milk option for coffee. Great if you're not vegan and looking for good value and service.

1  Thank Colin W

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Whilst staying in Larne for a friend's wedding, we thought we would investigate the town for an evening meal. We stumbled across Caffe Spice entirely by accident and I'm so glad we got to experience the food at this lovely little place.

Judging by the other reviews here, I chose wisely by having the pork belly, madeira jus, black pudding beignets, vegetables and champ. What an amazing plate of food. This is seriously one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. Melt in the mouth pork, flavoursome beignets and just the right amount of everything too. I followed this with an extremely generous and tastefully selected cheese board.

The place itself was very understated yet stylish, warm and comfortable. The staff were helpful, even if they were slightly inattentive. However, this is by no means a complaint, as we hadn't booked beforehand and it was clear to see they were very busy! The prices are very much in keeping with many city centre bistros and when the food is this good I am more than happy to pay such reasonable prices for such superb food.

The only minor down side to the experience was the lack of an alcohol license, so a quick trip to the nearest wine shop was an unfortunate requirement.

Overall, a highly recommended experience.

1  Thank -N1KR-
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Best pizza i have had in a long time, great coleslaw & chips wer perfect.! Having heard nothing but great things abt what cafe spice has been producing me & th misses headed dwn on a rare thurs night off, was not disappointed..! Staff where great & really attentitive, even had a dessert which was really really nice.
Highly reccommend if in th area check it out, keep up th great work mark
Thanks

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Have foned now on numerous occasions and so have my staff and what u get is rudeness and attitude everything u get a take-away order - perhaps so customer service training needed for staff answering the fone - food was nice (soup a tad watery) also a smile wouldn't harm either on collection of orders

2  Thank BelfastDiva
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Congratulations to Caffe Spice on head chef Mark Saunderson's great performance in Masterchef 2012. I bet there were both nerves and pride by the end of filming, And all that on the back of Greg Wallace's visit earlier in the year! This is truly a quality restaurant, in fact a place that prides itself in offering a wide range of excellent dishes from breakfasts and light bites to full dinners. This is about 100 paces from the house I grew up in, so when at home I don't miss a chance to eat there! It is nicely situated opposite the refurbished Town Hall. Our fellow diners chose ham terrine and scallops to start with while I opted for the goats cheese beignets. All were delicious. All the while we were enjoying our BYO for a modest corkage. As mains two of us had the halibut with the two others choosing venison and duck. I should have made notes as I now wish to rave more and can't as we 'brought a bit too much of our own' and the finer detail of the yumminess has left me. As the menu is on a clipboard you are assured an array of dishes that is changed regularly. Sufficient vegetables accompanied our mains. Afterwards we had coffees and a banana based dessert and my husband selected the cheeseboard which was away from the menu. Thank you! Seven cheeses came and we all nibbled. A great night was had by us all and the bill was far less than we would pay near our home in England. Have a look at the detailed review by 'restaurant pimp' to get more of a flavour of the place. If I could offer any advice I think I might suggest a change in quality of cutlery for evening diners as well as some new champagne glasses. I prefer tall plain glass for fizz to cut glass. My husband would have appreciated a romp around the offerings on the cheeseboard too as this is the mark of good waitering. TINY points. We LOVE it! Keep up the great work at Caffe Spice. Good luck in 2013.