“Swiss quality in a delightful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Freudenberg Hotel

and 1 more site!
Freudenberg Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Appenzell
Guerneville
“Swiss quality in a delightful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have been visiting Switzerland regularly since 1961, so have seen just about every canton in this gorgeous country. Our recent stay in Appenzell was one of the most pleasant in memory. Appenzell is not for those looking for a high mountain village surrounded by spikey Alpine peaks. Rather, it is a spectacular agricultural region, rich with farmlands and with towering mountains only minutes away.

The town of Appenzell is a real community with people working at jobs other than those related strictly to tourism. Its historic core offers all the charms, restaurants and shops one expects when coming to Switzerland while being surrounded by real neighborhoods, light industry and farmlands. Appenzell is easy to navigate. With minutes you can be on roads leading in any direction which, traveling to the west or south, will take you on day trips to truly spectacular mountains with hiking trails and cable cars leading to sweeping views; the historic medieval city of St. Gallen to the north, or east to the Principality of Liechtenstein. So, Appenzell is an ideal base from which to explore less crowded northeastern Switzerland while being immersed in authentic Swiss culture.

Hotel Freudenberg occupies a choice location just above the town and away from any street noise. The only sounds you will hear are those of songbirds and the occasional, charming toot of the local Appenzeller Bahnen (red train) as it makes its way into and out of the Bahnhof. This a relatively new property designed and built in the Swiss chalet style by on-site owners, the Schiegg-Fischli family. They have paid particular attention to details leaving little to be desired. The housekeeping is immaculate. The hotel features a full service restaurant which serves as the breakfast room where one enjoys a wonderful breakfast while taking in the sweeping view over the town and hillsides. Imaginative dinners of the highest quality are served. The hotel's restaurant is a magnet for locals which speaks highly of the menu. Weather permitting, a large flower festooned deck with tables and umbrellas is available. Hiking trails leading through hillside meadows and into the forests virtually begin at the front door. A large parking lot makes parking a non-issue. All of this comes for a very fair cost. The hotel participates in the Appenzellerland Feirenkarte program which provides free travel on certain cable cars and other attractions for stays of three nights are longer. We found this to be a very valuable benefit.

So, if you are looking for a true Swiss experience in a delightful setting while being well cared for by hosts who know how to run a hostelry, you would be hard-pressed to do better than Hotel Freudenberg.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank garmuel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

While Rick Steves guidebook says its a short uphill hike, I have to disagree. When you arrive in Appenzell at the train station, there are signs guiding you almost straight up the side of a hill/mountain to Freudenberg. We had rather heavy backpacks and I would say it took us about 30 minutes. It is steep! When we checked out the man at the desk was shocked that we had walked up and sweetly offered to drive us down to the station so we wouldnt miss our train. The room was very spacious though the elevator only goes up to one floor below the top so we still had to take a flight of stairs. We enjoyed the view and the traditional decor. Breakfast was the best of our trip with lots of varieties of cheeses and meats and breads. We didnt get to eat at the restaurant but if you plan to do so, do it in the evening because the fog is thick in the morning. Overall I would recommend this place if you have a car but if not, opt for something that is within the main center of town as it is quite a hike even without luggage.

Room Tip: Request any floor other than the top floor and the elevator will reach your room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

If you place high value on physical facilities and do not value or appreciate hospitality... this is your hotel. The hotel is operated on automatic pilot, with a dis-interested, un-engaged hostess/owner.

This 13 room hotel sits atop a 125-150 seat restaurant...on a lovely, rest-full hill overlooking the town...surrounded by quiet pasture land and demure sheep.

The rooms are clean and spacious with standard amenities. Breakfast un-imaginative including a broad selection of individual boxes of American children's nutrition-less sugar fruit loops, cocoa puffs, etc vs the standard European variety of Museculi's.

We arrived to find the restaurant and Hotel closed...as occurs every Thursday. Room key taped to the outside door. No note, instructions, maps, directions, etc. We had exchanged several e-mails....this disclosure was mysteriously absent. .

The next morning at breakfast....no hello, welcome, can we help, need directions....absolutely nothing. We stayed two nights without so much as an inquiry as to our enjoyment of the area, etc. When we paid the bill, no inquiry as to our comfort, satisfaction, etc.

The Appenzell towns people were welcoming and absolutely wonderful in every way.
I would highly recommend the town.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank erfield5
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

Chose this hotel, as I did not want to stay in the vilage. I prefer a quiet location with views. I was not disappointed. The minute we arrived at the hotel, I knew this was my kind of place. I arrived earlier than the official check in time, but the owner, Robert showed me my room, which was still being cleaned and suggested I leave my suitcase.
I fell in love with the pretty 1st floor spacious room with a large balcony. There was even a view from the window in the shower!! There was not a hairdryer in the room, but when I asked at reception, Robert provided one.
Robert gave me my Appenzell card and a map of the area. 10/10 for our friendly welcome!
Friends joined us for lunch on the terrace which has stunning views over the village. The service and the food was perfect!
We enjoyed one evening meal in the hotel dining room during our stay. The food and service was excellent. My only complaint is that they seem to reserve a couple of tables for locals to meet and SMOKE! Unfortunately, the smokers ruined what would have been a perfect evening.
We had planned to eat in the restaurant again the following evening, but we were extremely disappointed to be told, it was not available, as it had been booked for a 'meeting'. I think this should have been explained to us, as it is not unusual for residents to prefer to eat at their hotel. The breakfast was more than adequate, with a choice of breads, rolls, cereals, yoghurt, croissants, fruit juices, teas, coffees, cooked meats, jams, cheeses and lovely fresh fruit slices of melon, mango, kiwi etc. 10/10 for the selection and the excellent service!
The Freudenberg is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, and I have travelled all over the UK, Switzerland, Belgium, the USA and Austria.
I paid 100 swiss francs for single occupancy of a very spacious double room. I think that was a fair price as it had such great views and the breakfast was excellent.
The walk down to the village is easy, but the walk back is NOT SUITABLE for the unfit , as it is quite a hike up a very steep hill. There are some lovely restaurants/cafes in the village. I recommend the sachertorte at the HOTEL APPENZELL.
Robert was kind enough to drive me to the station on the morning of my departure, and is also willing to collect you from the station on arrival.
I really do hope to stay at the Freudenberg again, so hopefully the Swiss Government will follow the UK and Ireland and BAN smoking in ALL restaurants. Switzerland is such a clean, beautiful country, so let's tryand keep it that way!!

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank SidmouthSally
Torrance, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

Had a very nice family stay at the Hotel Freudenberg, We had a large family room on the top floor. The rooms are very new inside and our's was quite spacious, with a large view balcony.

The hotel is not in the main part of Appenzell but rather on a hillside over looking the town. This location is much nicer than the rather touristy and tacky (i.e., lots of souvenier shops) main village.

The restaurant at the hotel is very nice. You can sit outside and enjoy the view of the town in the foreground and beautiful rolling green hills beyond. They have an outdoor grill and my wife's grilled trout was her favorite meal of our vacation.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. We needed some assistance with a personal matter and Herr Schiegg really went out of his way to help.

Stayed June 2008
3 Thank Seemowe
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2005

I stayed at Hotel Freudenberg 3 times already, and each stay has been a pleasure. The hotel is excellently located, on a hill just above the village (go there by car or walk, it's a 10 minute climb), featuring great views over the picturesque village of Appenzell. The rooms are large, very clean and pleasantly decorated. The owners, Robert and Barbara Schiegg, are very friendly and welcoming, and do everything to make your stay pleasant. Robert, who is also the kitchen chef, will fire up the outside grill on the outside terrace on warm summer nights. I would recommend this cosy place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2005