“Great location + Great people/staff = Great hotel!”
Review of Hotel Adler

and 1 more site!
Hotel Adler
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Appenzell
Quincy, MA
“Great location + Great people/staff = Great hotel!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in June of this year. With the recommendation from Rick Steves and TripAdvisor, I chose this hotel. This hotel was only a few mins walk from the train station. The family that owns this hotel is extremely friendly. When I checked in, they allowed me to check out two rooms to see which one I would prefer. I chose the double (not only because it was bigger, but because it was ready and I wanted to refresh and head out as soon as I can). The room was clean, the shower was clean. The only thing I didn't like about the shower is that the shower curtain keeps sticking to you when you're in there. The bed was comfortable and all the amenities were in there. There is a small lift (elevator) which is convenient.
There is a church across the street and the bells do go off but it did not bother me at all. The restaurant is also very good. It is pretty busy during lunch and dinner hours too. The breakfast was good and everything was fresh, and the lady who ran it (I really wish I knew her name) is very friendly. She even gave me a souvenir before I left - "THANK YOU!"
They also provided me with ice for my hydration pack before I left for my day of hiking and the staff was always eager to help with any of my questions. I would definitely recommend this place for others and will no doubt stay here again when I return.
Thank you Hotel Adler for making my stay in Appenzell a very memorable one!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Maria D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I didn't much care for the guesthouse I was staying in and decided to research an alternative. Upon enquiring availability and price the guy at the reception quoted me a good rate and gave me the key, said the room was mine even though it was only 10 in the AM. Good location, spotless. Appenzell is a bit dead at night and teens seem to wander around getting rowdy with nothing to do. But if you need to stay in Appenzell, recommend this place.

Room Tip: I stayed on the street side which is noisy with traffic. Try to stay in the back away firm the stree...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Shawnee, KS
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Welcome to one of the most endearing regions in Switzerland! Appenzell has a unique old world charm. It is a quaint city with colorful homes and businesses and delightfully kind people. We stopped here first on our 2 week journey around Switzerland. The weather was cool and cloudy but that took nothing away from this beautiful region. We stayed at the lovely Hotel Adler and were greeted by its friendly, helpful staff. Breakfast was very good and the accommodations were very pleasant. Of course, as is typical of Switzerland, it was immaculate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KSLabgirl
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed June 12, 2013

With sadness, we are nearly at the end of our three month trip in Europe, but this superb little hotel right in the center of the traditional Swiss town of Appenzell was the perfect last stay before heading to Zurich and our flight home. Family owned and operated, their attention to detail and exquisite service is fantastic. We were able to park our car right in front of the hotel, and they have several parking places behind as well. Not only do they have a restaurant, but beware that they also have their own fine pastry shop that is nearly impossible to ignore. There is a small lift that can take you and your luggage to any of the three floors. We were fortunate enough to stay in their suite on the front of the hotel, which is quite large, including a sitting area with small flat screen TV and a nice size bedroom area with a mini-bar, small dining table and large cabinet space. There is also a wardrobe for your hanging clothes as well as shelves for many other items as well. The style is old Swiss, but the hotel and rooms are impeccably clean and freshly conditioned. We did look at three other rooms that were superior doubles, which were certainly adequate, but the suite was available in this transition season for a slight upcharge. The owner, his son, and the entire staff are superbly friendly and accommodating with any request. The breakfast is more than adequate for starting the day, with great coffee and the usual juice, cereals, cheese, meat, boiled eggs and fresh pastries. The location of the hotel is a distinct advantage, as it is easy to walk just about anywhere in town, but know that it fronts on a fairly busy street through town, so if you are in a room on the front the noise might not be welcome. There are two supermarkets no more than an easy ten minute walk. We were happy to spend our last two nights in this hotel to seal the memories of a wonderful trip. If you haven’t been to Appenzell, you should put it on your itinerary.

Room Tip: Room 33 is the suite located on the front of the building and is worth the additional cost. There c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ron R
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Rooms although updated are rough for the price. Towels not changed daily, only feather pillows. Owner friendly. Check your bill, stated rates are up charged - you feel quite taken advantage of by the end of your visit!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Bellacarola
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Adler. It was a delightful experience. The owner is most gracious and helpful. He gave us our choice of rooms as they were not full. The location is perfect at the entrance to the village at the base of the main street. There is parking for about 6-7 cars if you are driving. The big church is directly across the street but we did not notice the bells at all. Visit the church it is beautiful. The owner is most helpful in explaining the Appenzeller Pass that allows you free travel on the Appenzeller train system which is prompt and efficient. The pass also allows you to travel on 3 of the main gondolas in the Appenzell area. You must stay 3 or more days to qualify for the pass. We had to leave Appenzell at 5am to catch our plane back to the US. The owner was up and gave us coffee, juice and fresh baked rolls before we left along with a piece of gingerbread. We highly recommend the Adler.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not full ask the owner to show you other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited in August and enjoyed everything about this lovely family-run hotel.

The hosts were friendly, spoke fluent English (and French for that matter), gave excellent advice on restaurants and sightseeing (the view from Hoher Kasten is wonderful). As we were leaving, they even ran out to the car park with a small gift as a memento of our stay.

We were given a quiet room at the back of the building with a balcony and view to the mountains. Very pleasant to sit out and enjoy a local beer from the minibar. The room itself was comfortable, clean and plenty of space. The bathroom was classic 70's retro in an appealing way and everything worked. There was also free wi-fi with a good connection.

The generous breakfast buffet was very good quality with local specialities, excellent breads and homemade birchermüesli. We ate dinner in the restaurant one evening and the food, drinks, service, ambiance were all lovely, especially the delicious homemade ice-cream sundaes.

The hotel is located just on the edge of the pedestrian zone by the river, bridge and church and a short walk from the station. It is great to be able to stroll around town after the daytime tourists have left, to see the beautifully painted traditional buildings and squares.

The surrounding countryside is incredibly green and a wonderful region to explore. There is wonderful hiking at all different levels of ambition, lots of activities and still feels very relaxing.

By staying for three nights we received the free Appenzeller card which gave unlimited transport on trains and buses (including to St.Gallen), trips on three cable cars, an Appenzeller cheese tasting and other offers. This was very convenient and saved us more than 50chf per person.

We felt the hotel was excellent value, perfect for our stay and would return with pleasure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kmsc_1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appenzell
Romantik Hotel Santis
#11 of 16 in Appenzell
Hotel Frohe Aussicht
Hotel Frohe Aussicht
#2 of 7 in Weissbad

Been to Hotel Adler? Share your experiences!