“A must do!”

Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saariselka
Reviewed May 12, 2014

As with many other people, it's been a dream for a while to see the northern lights. Unfortunately i came home without having seen them, however it did not take away from an amazing experience. Living in a hot climate, i was more than a little apprehensive about the cold and how i would cope! I need not have worried though, the cabins and the igloo were too warm if anything! And you can rent snow suits/gloves/hats and snow boots if required.
We stayed 3 nights in a queen cabin, 1 night in a standard cabin and 1 night in a glass igloo. We were booked to stay in the snow igloo as well, though after seeing them, we opted out!
The queen cabin is spacious, very cosy and worth the extra in my opinion if only for the sauna outside. Sitting in a sauna, surrounded by snow is an experience i'll never forget. The cabins are equipped with basic kitchen utensils, in reality though not enough to actually cook with and not that you'd want to be heading out grocery shopping when its -25deg outside! The beds aren't the most comfy and the towels have seen better days but adequate. As well as central heating, each cabin has a fireplace. You have to collect wood from a central storage area and bring it back by sleigh, but it's all part of the experience.
The glass igloos are obviously the main reason people stay here. They're about a 5 minute walk from the main 'hotel' and comprise of two single beds, which are motorised, a small space for luggage and a toilet. You leave your main luggage in the luggage room and bring a small bag to the igloos. They are comfortable and very warm, and sleeping under the stars in amazing, even if i didn't see the lights!
The food in the hotel is more than adequate. Breakfast includes cereals, breads, and various cheeses/meats. Every day they have soup available for lunch, not the cheapest soup I've ever had but warm, hearty and just what you need after coming in from the cold. Dinner was different each night we stayed, three courses, again, not the most amazing food but tasty and filling.
There main reception is where you book trips, check in and buy any essentials, so it can get busy at times.
We did the husky sledging, the snowmobile trip and the reindeer sledging. The husky one was definitely my favourite, so much so we did it twice!
All in all, an amazing trip and if your unlucky enough not to see the lights you will still have a great time.....and just do as i am and book a return visit!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a queen cabin, not only are they bigger but sitting in a sauna surround...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Irishcaz80

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I had dreamed of staying at this place for years and thought it was amazing.
The igloo is spacious and very warm, dare I say a little too warm inside. Be prepared to leave your luggage in the luggage room, you only need a small back pack as there is no shower only a toilet and basin. There is a shower block near by.
The glass stays clear and the view of the night sky is uninterrupted. Unfortunately the night I was there it snowed so I didn't see the northern lights, I was able to see them the later on luckily.
The dinner at the restaurant was amazing, it was a 3 course meal and it was delicious. Breakfast was fine, nothing special but adequate.
I was dropped off by bus on the main road so there was a little walk to the reception area, I was surprised at that but it didn't take anything away from how I felt about staying on the glass igloo.
For me, it was a dream come true.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank gdangelo
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Very small and basic room so not enough space to place large luggages. Bed is warm and cosy, I had it elevated whole night and fell asleep while watching the sky for northern lights. A good sheltered place when I mount my tripod just outside my igloo to take pictures of the northern lights. One of the must experience stay in Lapland! Thumbs up!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ros24Dec
Reviewed May 1, 2014

It is a difficult concept, a expensive hotel but do your self after check-in. For the adventure people is great, the hotel has a a lot of equipment for different sports like cross country, clothes for snowmobile, etc. that you can rent them of course, there is a nice trail for cross country in the middel of the hotel country that take you to the Kiilopaa Park. Avoid the hotel food, tried any other place if posible, it is a shame for an international hotel like this.
I really prefer the cabinas, they are very comfortable with your own sauna and a fire place (you need to bring your logs from some exterior cellars). The igloo could be a nice experience if you have high probability to see the northern lights, are small and uncomfortable, if the sun light start very early it is a real problem to sleep.

Room Tip: Don't spend all your days at the igloo, the cabinas are much much comfortable
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank REYGUS10
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at Kakslautten in the autumn before the snow to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary!

Not only were there phenomenal colours in the countryside we had the best accommodation. We had booked an igloo and we thought that's all we would get so when we got a chalet with a sauna as well we were more than pleased.The owner and the staff were really helpful, making sure that we were called to see the northern lights show that we were treated to.

Whilst we had not arranged transport before we arrived, we took a bus back to the airport on the second day to hire a car so we could explore further a field. We drove over into Norway stopping to look at large Mousse and have numerous coffee and cake stops along the way!!

If I were to go again I would probably travel to Ivalo by train from Helsinki as I think Finland offers people much more than they ever expected and I would book to go later in the year when the lights are probably more spectacular. The Sami museum in Ivalo? (Think!) is worth a visit, especially if you have children as they can explore outside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank homeinthesun
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in the glass igloo in early December 2013. It was fantastic. Not what I expected but both in a good and bad way. It is such a unique design the igloos with the cute little hobbit door you need to bend down to go through. But you do have to trek your luggage on a sled about 500m from the lobby to the igloo's and in -27degree weather that can be trying. But once inside the igloo, its nice and toasty warm with individual posturepedic adjustable beds. The toilette has frosted glass so privacy is maintained. Although with the lights on you can see into other igloos. The showers are in the sauna's which are located in the area of the log cabins. I did the sauna but I was the only one (thank god). Its a bit of a trek from the igloo's but totally worth doing sauna then walking out into freezing weather. Your body just feels so good. The meal in the main lobby was really good. Set menu which for me is perfect because I hate deciding. The next morning we caught the bus to Rovanieme however the lady at the front desk told us the wrong information so we waited for 30 mins on the side of the highway in very very cold weather. Tip: don't rely on others giving you the correct information. Overall it was a stunning place and i'm glad I stayed for one night, which was all we could afford. Definitely the once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Schmizey
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We spent Valentines night in a glass igloo... It was such a magical experience, my dream was to see the Aurora but unfortunately it was rather cloudy, but this did not lessen the experience.
We stayed at Santas Resort and I didn't really know much about this, I thought the igloos were all in one place, but what a surprise we had when we had dinner in Father Christmas's house!!
I was so excited even at the age of 42!! If only I knew would have brought the kids.!!!.well maybe next time.... One of life's experiences to stay at this unique place...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple