“mixed feelings...”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saariselka
schweiz
“mixed feelings...”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

It is not easy to write a review about the Glass Igloo of Kakaslauttanen as we have so mixed feelings. I have read the review before and I do agree with many of them.

The Glass Igloo are a technical masterpiece, nice and always warm, glass never foggy even you have temperatures differences from 50 degress in-to outside. I dont want to imagine their electricity bill! Having the incredible luck to see 3.5 hours full of wonderful Auroras makes this experience truly unforgettable. However this should not be a part of the review as the Aurora are not "included" in the price and you need to be lucky to see them.

I understand the high price of the Igloos. Technically, its worth. Also the village is very nice and really lovely built with lots of nice details. But there it ends!

What dissapointed me and also the reason I would never go back was the following:

- lots of staff but all asian with bad english and noone really is informed about whats going on
- you are not treated as a guest who will pay a small fortune for the night. You are treated like a tourist, happy to be there with them
- there are no showers in the Igloos, you have to go to the main house. No problem with that, however the showers are open (6 total) and it feels more like camping with absolutely no privacy. 2 hairdryers only and not a single mirror (for women quite difficult)
- you pay for Coffe or Tee 2€!! Not even included in this high price. Served will it be in cheap plastic cups. Absolut No-go for this price range!
- Dinner is ok. But could be better as previously mentioned. Breakfast eggs were served in cheap plastic cups, orange juice was more water than anything else
- the Igloos itself was very very warm - 25 degrees without any possibility to adjust the heat yourself
- we paid to be using the whole park as an Attraction: however the whole park was closed, the Ice Church was closed so nothing to do at all

After all - the big lack of this Hotel is their Manager who shuffles every penny. Cheap staff, no service, rather save money than offer a nice cup, or a mirror extra. If I arrive at a expensive place like this calling itself "Santa Park" I want to see a nice Finnish Women in traditional clothe, welcoming me. It's the little things that can make a stay wonderfully unforgettable or badly memorizable.

Would I go back? - No
Would I recommend it? - No
Was it great? - Yes, but cause of the mother Nature above us. The Hotel itself did not make our stay truly unforgettable.

Room Tip: make sure you get the Igloos in the NEW part of the village!
15 Thank aquamarina75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The igloo itself was delightful, though hotel itself was a major disappointment. This was the "splurge" part of my trip to Finland and it didn't live up to my expectations or the description of the facilities on the website. There are not four restaurants - as claimed - just one very mediocre one. After sampling lunch - no choice, just rather dire soup and supermarket bread - I took a taxi back to Saariselka (about 21-22 euro each way) for dinner (where there is a great choice of restaurants at every price level). The staff seem universally indifferent and the whole place seems chaotic. I stayed at three different hotels in Lapland and this one was by far and away of the poorest quality. As much as I enjoyed the igloo itself, I could not recommend this hotel - especially as I have yet to receive a response to my email to the hotel outlining my concerns.

Room Tip: If you really want the glass igloo experience, factor in a taxi back to Saariselka and bypass the ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DAR_Sydney
Hull
Reviewed March 8, 2013

After reading many mixed reviews about the Igloo Village we are please to say that we had an excellent stay there recently. We are very well travelled and have stayed at many excellent Hotels over the years so we were a little unsure what to expect here. Well what we got was a lovely hot (some times too hot) log cabin with a king size bed, seating area, kitchenette, stone log burner, wet room with toilet, washbasin and sauna off. The cabins were rustic as you would expect but very clean and spacious our paperwork said a small log cabin for 2 but we had more than enough room. Our cabin was number 28 and just a short 5 minute walk from the main hotel. Later in the afternoons after returning from our trips we would light the sauna and then the log fire as the heating goes off whilst the sauna is in operation, it never gets cold though, and then spend half an our warming up in the sauna - fabulous! We spent one night in a glass igloo which was about a 10 minute walk away from the hotel. The glass igloo is a MUST, they have automated beds which are very comfortable and great for a seated position to look at the stars/northern lights. There is a private toilet and washbasin too and they are very warm indeed and a cute little hobbit doorway lol.

The food in the restaurant wouldn't suite anyone who liked a full english and burger and chips, but if like us you like good tasty food you will enjoy it. We had sweet and sour chicken and rice, pork fillet in a lovely sauce with veg & potatoes, fillet steak, sauce, veg & potatoes and fish in a white herby sauce with veg & potatoes. There was always a starter of various salads and soups also a dessert however as I have diabetes I just asked for cheese and crackers and this was available for me. If there was anything you didn't like the sound of they would always find an alternative if you asked.

Now to the excursions, we did the husky trip and snow mobiling. The husky's is an experience not to miss it was fabulous and the dogs worked hard but clearly loved it and they are extremely well cared for and loved. We had a female guide on the snow mobiling who definately liked to be in charge she certainly made sure no one got a speeding ticket lol! However this was fun also but it was minus 15 degrees on this day so it was really cold, if they tell you to use their gloves make sure you have some liner gloves with you as I found my hands to be very cold, should have stuck with my own gloves but you trust what they tell you as they have the experience, same with the socks make sure you have at least two pairs of woollen socks on.

The Northern Lights appeared on 3 nights out of 4 not exactly as seen on the TV but still great fabulous to see.

The reception area is small so don't go when you are short of time, the staff were always pleasant and helpful and if you are relaxed and pleasant you get the same back. I read someone said they had a no can do attitude, I think this was probably because they hotel is full booked all the time if you were asking to change accommodation they actually couldn't do this for you as there were no spare rooms to be had.

One final point I think I actually met Santa Claus, well the owner looked just like Santa Claus and he came to wave us off as we left and made a point of shaking hands with everyone as they left this is something you don't get very often these days how lovely.

Room Tip: Request a room near to reception.
2 Thank ParsleyHull
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Aside from the sometimes questionable service and lack of a cool lounge and reception area, we had a wonderful time in Kakslauttanen!

The queen suite was spacious, warm, cosy, luxurious... and sitting in the jacuzzi outside at night, at -25C, watching the sky shimmer, was just magical. The glass igloo was brilliant, too, it exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort and space. I would definitely recommend both. We also saw the Turf Chamber, but I was very glad we hadn't booked to stay there, as it looked disappointingly small, claustrophobic, and bare. I would definitely not recommend that.

The food was great and the menu choices very good.

I loved it, our best trip yet!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the queen suite if budget allows, and a night in the glass igloo.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We loved our recent stay at this hotel. We had a glass igloo which was quite spacious and cosy and then a cabin for a night. This was fantastic too and was spacious and had its own sauna. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food good and plentiful. A bit of paradise in a winter wonderland.

Coffs Harbour
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although we didn't see the Northern Lights, our 2 days in Kakslauttanen were worth the trip. This was because of the location and the accommodation - definitely not because of the service! We spent one night in a glass igloo & one night in a cabin. The igloo is amazing, heated to a comfortable temperature, hi-tech beds & a little toilet/sink room. Just dragging your luggage there on the sled is an experience. The cabin was also great. The sauna was terrific & having an open fire in the living/sleeping area was a real treat. Unfortunately the service at reception was abysmal. It is poorly designed so people waiting to check in are mixed in with people ordering food & buying souvenirs & all with only one cash register! Our igloo wasn't ready until hours after we arrived & nobody explained the lunch arrangements in the meantime (lunch is soup & bread only). On the second day we were changing from igloo to cabin & again had to wait several hours after checking out of igloo to get into our cabin. If we had known this would happen we could have arranged a full day excursion. Regardless of this, the Hotel is located in a magical place. The winter midday twilight was magical & almost made up for not seeing the Northern Lights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonCoffsHarbour
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

The igloos were great; larger than expected with heated floors and comfy beds.
The sauna was very nice and showers, while basic, were clean.
The restaurant was somewhat slow but the food was ok. Breakfast yogurt and granola will be missed.
The front desk is disorganised and a bit frustrating but eventually works it out.
Watching the Northern Lights snuggled under the covers is Amazing!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Sheila S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saariselka
Wilderness Hotel Muotka
#1 of 2 in Ivalo
Northern Lights Village
Northern Lights Village
#1 of 5 in Saariselka

Been to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort? Share your experiences!