“Superb food and service”
Review of Wheatsheaf Inn

Wheatsheaf Inn
Ranked #12 of 110 Restaurants in North Shields
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have eaten at the Wheatsheaf a couple of times in the past months and been very impressed with their food. Yesterday we went for Sunday lunch and it was simply superb. The best Sunday lunch out I have ever had. We Both had lamb which was lovely together with fresh perfectly cooked veg, gorgeous mashed potato, home made yorkshire and gravy you would struggle to beat. I can't wait to go back

There are newer reviews for Wheatsheaf Inn

Reviewed January 12, 2014

As a regular visitor to shiremoor farm have never stepped foot in the wheatsheaf, well big mistake on our part!

Popped in on a very cold Saturday in January to find a very warm welcome. When presented with the menu we struggled to make a choice as so many tempting dishes. In the end went for scallops and pork belly, and black pudding fritters, followed by braised beef, braised lamb, and salmon with a pea and prawn risotto. Everything was exceptional, cooked perfectly, presented beautifully and served with a smile and friendly chat.

As a chef I am frequently left disappointed when eating out, but this was one of the best meals I have ever had!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

It's not the first time I have reviewed the 'Wheatsheaf'. It is still excellent.
The current Christmas menu is fantastic, not compulsory, the normal menu is also available. We visited for a bit of a family get together last Saturday, 7th December. Eleven of us, 11 Starter, 11 clean plates. 11 Main courses, 11 clean plates, 10 greedy dessert takers, 10 clean plates.
Great choices in all courses, such as starters; home cured smoked salmon with horseradish ice cream, cream curry parsnip soup. Mains; Roast Ribeye beef, roast turkey, lamb. Desserts, no need to go much past home made Christmas pudding, but there was also stilton with chutney, and others.
Great value, plentiful, exceptionally good service. Can't ask for more than that.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

When one of my extended family suggested a get-together at the Wheatsheaf, I have to confess I wasn't that inspired by the thought of pub-grub. My first surprise was with the variety on the Christmas Menu, with several starters and mains. I still went for the turkey, but started with parsnip soup with crispy veg which was absolutely superb. The main was also fantastic, with generous portions, well presented and succulent meat. Vegetables were fresh and crisp.

Finished with Christmas pud which was also tip-top. We all agreed it was way above the usual pub fayre and plan to go back again soon. The rib of beef looked too good to miss. Roll on next time.

Thanks to all at the Wheatsheaf for the good food, excellent service and adding a venue to my good food list.

1  Thank The_Crow_Family
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wanted somewhere quick and local to go for lunch with family of 6 inc children. Staff were helpful and polite and overall service was good. The table was in a nice position and seats were comfortable, however, the food! Yuck! We struggled to eat some of it just to be polite. The meat on the Sunday roasts was tough, fatty and tasteless.... We had a selection of beef, pork and lamb between us. The roast potatoes had been so over microwaved the middles were hard and as for the soggy root veg, the carrots were also very unpleasant. On the positive the broccoli was green and fresh. One of our group decided to have a risotto for a change - 2 spoonfuls was all he could manage it really was quite unpleasant. Needless to say we decided not to stay for pudding!
Really sorry but our experience was very disappointing and will not be going back.