TripAdvisor
North Shields
Post
Inbox
Search

“Tasty well cooked Sunday lunch”
Review of The Staith House

The Staith House
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #14 of 137 Restaurants in North Shields
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just had a very nice Sunday lunch including deserts.. I had lamb and my wife beef.
We both agreed that the mains were delicious with tasty interesting veg (including shallots and a form of mash, roasted carrot, cabbage with tasty roast potato and Yorkshire pudding. Our gravy was different and very tasty. Certainly not something you'd knock up at home ion a few minutes and really made the dish. Yorkshire pudding could have been crispier but that's definitely a matter of choice. Definitely not small portions but they are not (and you wouldn't expect) them to be throwing volume at you. I had a chocolate and cherry dessert and my wife the lemon and blackberry (?) mouse thingy. Both very good. Lemon dessert was a good balance of tartness and sweetness, light and refreshing. Chocolate was substantial and a good size to.

Service was friendly and prompt, not overbearing.

I had no significant expectations but my wife had read some of the reviews on here. i have subsequently read some before writing this.

I am lucky enough to have eaten at restaurants all over the world over a 40 year period. I am no expert, not a foodie and I am not impressed by fluff, fashions and bull but try to take things as they come and evaluate them as whole. I have had fantastic food in top restaurants and shacks on beaches etc and plenty of fairy poor stuff too.

Based on this one experience I would definitely recommend Sunday lunch here. I didn't think it was expensive but obviously it isn't a cheap option. I am also not expecting a Sunday lunch to be fine dining.

Some stuff to improve...

Staff were friendly but they need to allocate tables. We had three staff asking after us, sometimes at the same time ...Could do more to tell you about the provenance of the meat (especially if you are going to name it on the menu). No salt and pepper on the table and not offered (yes I know!) My meal was perfectly seasoned as was my wife's even though she asked me where the salt and pepper was before tasting it. Out table needed someone to scrub the edge as the moulding was a bit sticky. Place was clean but my wife (who is not a stickler like my gran was) noticed this. the chocolate pudding could have been lighter with less honeycomb (which I wasn't sure was home made (or bought from the excellent grocers on the Fish Quay). Cider was excellent but I wasn't told what it was. If it was Strongbow fine but if it was anything else less commercial ...tell me, up sell and get me to try another etc...instead of giving me a business card with the bill .. get me to think about booking for dinner or otherwise coming again...

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (820)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on recommendation in the Great British Pub Guide as one of the top 500 places to eat and drink in the UK. I would rate main meals as very good but desserts were a huge let down. Starting with drinks, I’m not a gin snob but cucumber in Hendricks is generally standard. It’s all in the little details. It was very quiet, so drinks order taken and arrived quickly. No reference to specials when ordering mains. We asked if sides were needed and were told that the mains were substantial. For people with a larger appetite (mainly men) sides are needed. Given the prices, mains are on the smaller side. On a positive note, they were very good. The desserts on the other hand were not. I’d go so far as to say that the sticky figs pavlova the worst dessert I’ve ever been served. Rice pudding was fine, but it was oddly served with cold ice cream on top. The pavlova was a dry, tasteless piece of meringue with a couple of figs on the side. Should have just stuck with the mains.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 30, 2019 via mobile

This gastro pub offers the best if both, a proper pub feel with great food ambience. What a great place with good staff and fine atmosphere. One of the highlights of North Shields quay

Reviewed August 26, 2019 via mobile

We visited the Staith house Saturday night for my partners birthday, and what a fantastic time we had.
We booked the seafood tasting menu and what a lovely treat the food just kept on coming, we also opted for the wine pairing and was very well looked after by Skott the whole evening.
The atmosphere is relaxed, nice lighting and generally has a chilled feeling about it, thank you

Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

We decided to try the Staith House as we haven’t been for a while. Overall standards have sadly slipped, lack of care and love towards the food, the fresh flavours and wow have gone. Team seem disjointed and not motivated like they once were. The prices are so expensive for what now seems sadly mediocre fayre and a lack of care generally. Our experience- We checked online at open table and only 21.30 available. I decided to call direct to double check. The lady who answered the phone said only 21.30 so we declined. Then the Staith house called back and a gentleman asked if I had enquired for the following day for a party of 5? I said no, it was for tonight for 2 pax. He said of course we can fit you in tonight come down and we booked for 8pm. Great.
On arrival no one greeted us, despite being quiet and plenty of staff. We said “hi how are you and made conversation then the team member walked away. A lady came back to the bar and I ordered a large primitivo and a morretti. The wine was corked - I said has the wine been open long as it tastes off and the lady said yes but it has a device/cap on to stop this happening.
She asked a colleague to check it and agreed it was corked- a new bottle was opened.
At over £7 a glass this shouldn’t happen and checks made before serving. We sat down and ordered anchovies with sherry from the small plates Menu and corned beef fritter with Brown ale pickle etc. There was no hint of sherry, about 5 anchovies and the corned beef tiny and tasteless, greasy in fact. Not good. For main course we ordered surf and turf and lamb. I have had the lamb before and it was superb last time. The surf and turf just looked sad... the meat was dry and tasteless we tried a few times and it was just poor, presentation lacklustre as if the care and quality has vanished. The lamb was sadly bland and tasteless. A team member asked us if we wanted more drinks, we ordered the same round again. The primitivo was again out of the old bottle! and I had to send it back again. They asked how the meal was so far and we had to state just not good enough.
They asked the chef to speak to us. We highlighted with the plates in front of us the problems of taste, no flavour and quality and that this was constructive criticism, to which he agreed to disagree and handled the feedback well- he said he would take these off the bill and make it again or we can try something else, he couldn’t understand the issue with meat but accepted our feedback graciously and took the surf and turf plus lamb off the bill- we declined for a replacement and opted for a few small plates from the tapas menu to fill the gap and it was getting late- the moment was gone. The tapas were poor, pretty basic and in style of the feedback above- quality and care lacking and overpriced. The bill came to over £50 and we felt deflated and rightly disappointed. The prices versus the current offering and service is completely out of kilter.
Even in the gents toilet the taps are coming away from the wall and grouting dirty. The tables around us were empty apart from 2 couples, so not sure why originally the only table available was 9.30pm...
A general decline from what was a superb treat and dining experience previously.
Please bring the Staith House back to what it was! The competition in the area is increasing and new ventures popping up -the standards must improve. With the current standards and prices not fit for the offering we sadly won’t be back as it stands and wouldn’t recommend.

1  Thank mdtheduke