“First visit”

My Shanghai At The Cannon Inn
Ranked #12 of 106 Restaurants in North Shields
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“First visit”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Our first time and would definitely go again. I was pleasantly surprised at the choice of food on offer, it was also replenished as soon as it was needed. The staff were extremely pleasant, and the resturant it self was light and air. My favourite were the noodle and chicken dishes but it all looked very appealing. All in all very good value for money.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Fiona2230

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Top Oriental Buffet - Great Value”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have been to My Shanghai on numerous occasions and will continue to do so when I fancy Chinese food and I'm particularly hungry. I would recommend booking if you intend on going in the evening as it is usually very busy, which is a good sign.

They have a good selection of your classic Chinese takeaway style dishes, along with a few bits of English food that are topped up regularly. Quality is generally quite good, however I would say that it isn't as high as if you ordered a specific dish separately at a Chinese restaurant. This place is all about quantity and choice.

On the downside I am usually a bit underwhelmed with the desserts. A lot of them appear to have been left out in the restaurant chillers for some time, and therefore don't taste the freshest. Not too much of an issue as I'm usually stuffed from eating the main courses.

Drinks are a fairly reasonably priced, and the overall cost of the food isn't bad...especially if you go earlier in the day. Going early would mean you miss out on the duck pancakes though...one of the best dishes they do!

I've always found the staff very polite and helpful...sometimes a little too eager to take your plates away though...nothing worse than having your plate grabbed while you are still eating from it!

Overall a very good place that's one of my favourites in the North East.

• Visited July 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Went for a meal with my husband at 8.00pm on a packed saturday night.
The staff were really attentive and helpful even though there was a 1 hour wait for some to be seated.
The food was lovely and replenished often and the hot grill was perfect.
Our drink were on our table by the time we got our food and sat down.
I could not fault the place to be honest and the staff are lovely.
We go as a couple or take the kids regular and have never faulted the place.
Well done the staff at the cannon a little gem in north shields

• Visited June 2013
North Shields
“Very good value”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Took family for meal. We went after 83.00pm and were advised we would have to wait for a table but were not surprised as the restaurant was packed. (A packed restaurant speaks for itself). After being shown to our table we went to choose our meal. There is so much to choose from and it is all so delicious. All you can eat, with vegetarian dishes as well as Chinese and Japanese and all extremely well cooked. This was not our first visit and we shall continue to take family and friends there. Food excellent, service excellent and prices very reasonable.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank christine c
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable day”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We walked in without a booking at 1pm and got a table for 4 people straight away. All the food at the Buffet looked lovely, it tasted fantastic.
I can't think of many places where 4 people can order a round of drinks, eat 3 courses and the bill come to £30 or so!

• Visited May 2013