“Great place to stay and relax”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in Mactan Island
Texarkana, Arkansas
“Great place to stay and relax”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We read past reviews and looked for a place to relax. We found that at Costabella. We booked the premier deluxe room and it was everything it was described in the photos. It was more bigger than we expected and the view from our balcony was really nice. The food was great in the restaurant, a little pricey due to the additional taxes they add to it but you get alot food. If you like fried rice, their Costabella Special Fried Rice was the best I ever had. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We noticed our showerhead was shooting water out the side and I called them. they came up right away and said it would be fixed tomorrow morning. We waitied until lunchtime to call them again, they came up and replaced it with no problems. This is place isn't the Shangri-La or the Hilton. It is a nice and quiet place and landscaped very nice too. Reviews I read complained about the beach being small. Well, it was clean and we rather go to a beach that less crowded anyway. When at low tides, it is murky and less attractive. Blame it on mother nature, not the hotel... Pulling the grass out would have been nice.
There is negatives of course... The taxi service there is awful. They don't have metered taxis and it is a ripoff to all guests who use them. We arrived by taxi from Cebu City and we paid 175 pesos, it was a 30 minute ride to the hotel. We got a taxi to take us to the nearest mall and charged us 250 pesos one way, it was only 10 minutes.
Most of the guests, I assume were Japanese and they were not only rude to staff, but to us as well. They walked by us and bumped into us, without saying "excuse me" or even a simple apology. They acted like they owned the place and when asked what was their problem. They spoke in their language and giggled. I seen them speak some english and after that I lost some respect for their pompous attitudes. Of course, there were hagglers on the edge of the fences on the property. Asking you if you want to go on a boat ride or rent a jet ski from them. I politely told them no thanks, but I gave them a few pesos and had a friendly chat. I know times are tough and everybody has to make a living somehow, but it is wiser to hire someone that Costabella has a contract with. The gift shop is expensive and the Lema Spa there on the property was trying to rip us off. They gave us two different prices for a 60 minute massage and it was alot higher than it said on their website. If you want to get away and have some quiet time, this is the place to go. Just be sure you get all the things you need before getting there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crazykuya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I live around 30 to 45 minutes from Costabella, so this is a place we could go to any weekend...we sometimes go for a mid-week breather. I've been here by myself, with my boyfriend, with friends and with our kids.

What I can say is, this resort is a good choice if your'e looking for alone time (to think, catch up on reading, get a top up on your tan...) or if you are looking for some quality time with one other person or a small group of very close friends. It isn't a good idea to bring the whole family, especially if there are kids because it's not a big resort, and there isn't anything to do but eat and drink and lounge around. The food is pretty good though, and the day-trip rates are good value for your money since they are consumable on food and drink.

The resort is pretty, the rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff are nice and friendly enough, occassionally they would go out of their way to help you out but for the most part they just do as requested. Overall, I would recommend the place as one of the good resorts in Mactan that won't cost you a small fortune for some simple pleasures."

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chimenebelen
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed May 29, 2010

terrible staffs.. they took advantage of the language barriers so they charge even if its not chargeable, and they quoted 8000 pesos addition for change of room.. isnt that justifiable? even 5 star hotels dont dare doing that... I hope you will take this positively to improve your service..the place is tranguil and food is great..

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank keenTraveller044
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This resort is good for Honeymooners because the place is quiet, not too much happenings inside or outside the resort. As I am with my friends we were bored because we have nothing to do aside from eating and swimming in their pools. You can't even swim on the beach as it was fully covered by some kind of seaweed (as shown in my picture) although I love its fine white sand. I enjoyed the buffet breakfast because I love their bacon and croquettes. We also had a good dinner and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves so the service was prompt and attentive.

You can't even find a metered taxi for your travels outside the resort despite if you request for one. It seems that there is a monopoly of non-metered pseudo taxi which are available to guests. The rooms had its share of good times a number of years ago but it is very clean including the bathroom. The are good, I'm not impressed with the service but I have no complaints either. I'm glad that I didn't pay for our stay or else I will give it a lower rating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kegler747
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Great food, reasonably priced. Comfortable rooms - though the older rooms are a little dark and bathroom dated. Facilities good. We booked an island tour from an outside vendor despite warnings from the hotel that they can't be trusted. "Ron" did a great tour for less than half what the hotel charged!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple