We read past reviews and looked for a place to relax. We found that at Costabella. We booked the premier deluxe room and it was everything it was described in the photos. It was more bigger than we expected and the view from our balcony was really nice. The food was great in the restaurant, a little pricey due to the additional taxes they add to it but you get alot food. If you like fried rice, their Costabella Special Fried Rice was the best I ever had. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We noticed our showerhead was shooting water out the side and I called them. they came up right away and said it would be fixed tomorrow morning. We waitied until lunchtime to call them again, they came up and replaced it with no problems. This is place isn't the Shangri-La or the Hilton. It is a nice and quiet place and landscaped very nice too. Reviews I read complained about the beach being small. Well, it was clean and we rather go to a beach that less crowded anyway. When at low tides, it is murky and less attractive. Blame it on mother nature, not the hotel... Pulling the grass out would have been nice.
There is negatives of course... The taxi service there is awful. They don't have metered taxis and it is a ripoff to all guests who use them. We arrived by taxi from Cebu City and we paid 175 pesos, it was a 30 minute ride to the hotel. We got a taxi to take us to the nearest mall and charged us 250 pesos one way, it was only 10 minutes.
Most of the guests, I assume were Japanese and they were not only rude to staff, but to us as well. They walked by us and bumped into us, without saying "excuse me" or even a simple apology. They acted like they owned the place and when asked what was their problem. They spoke in their language and giggled. I seen them speak some english and after that I lost some respect for their pompous attitudes. Of course, there were hagglers on the edge of the fences on the property. Asking you if you want to go on a boat ride or rent a jet ski from them. I politely told them no thanks, but I gave them a few pesos and had a friendly chat. I know times are tough and everybody has to make a living somehow, but it is wiser to hire someone that Costabella has a contract with. The gift shop is expensive and the Lema Spa there on the property was trying to rip us off. They gave us two different prices for a 60 minute massage and it was alot higher than it said on their website. If you want to get away and have some quiet time, this is the place to go. Just be sure you get all the things you need before getting there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the charming island of Mactan in Cebu is the tropical hideaway of Costabella, a luxury beach resort awarded by the Philippine Department of Tourism with the highest resort classification.An iconic property embraced by white fine sand and shaded by palm trees, Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel is an architectural showcase steeped in history and tradition. Its tastefully-appointed rooms, all 156 of them, beautifully integrate Spanish colonial influences with natural, homegrown materials. Carved stonework, arched doors and charming courtyards are the hallmarks of this timeless place. All accommodations from the modest to luxurious with private balconies offer breathtaking view that is both peaceful and romantic.As the name suggests, Costabella provides travelers and guests with the perfect setting to admire Mactan’s enchanting coastline. This tropical retreat is truly a dream destination for honeymoons and weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Travel Book Philippines, Inc. so you can book your Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Costabella Tropical Beach
- Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel Cebu Island/Mactan Island