“Friendly, relaxing and big rooms”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Mactan Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly, relaxing and big rooms”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family of three spent 5 nights at the Costabella in October 2012, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The facilities are of high quality and the staff are friendly and polite. Rooms are big, and we slept on the biggest bed I've ever seen.

The two swimming pools allow for a separation between kids and couples, and the whole hotel is WiFied.

While the hotel food is relatively inexperience, there is little options for food outside of the complex, however. Also, the rooms face the pool, so when other guests make noises in the morning it wakes up the whole complex.

From the airport it is less than a 30 minute drive, making the getaway trouble free.

Room Tip: There are two levels of rooms, allowing you to control your costs, or upgrade for a bit more room an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Morry M
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Morry M,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Our Team will be most happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you encountered due to the other guests who may have been a little loud while swimming in the pool near your room. We do endeavor to minimize this concern by opening that pool at 8:00 am and closing it at 8:00 pm.

We look forward to your next visit and I will make certain that our Guest Service Team provide you with more information on other dining options that are located about 15-20 minutes away by car from the resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is on a secluded area of Mactan Island. The hotel amenities are acceptable enough but dont warrant the price. We found the food and beverage ok, but not worth the price charged. To go anywhere from the hotel you need to take transport, the hotel car is horridly overpriced and you are up for an argument with nearly every taxi driver because the hotel is so secluded. Having said all that, if you just want to chill out by the pool, its not a bad place to be

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool seem the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Mr. RossH667,
Thank you for taking the time to make a review. We appreciate that you enjoyed relaxing by our two swimming pools and found our food and beverages as well as amenities okay.

We are sorry though that you found our prices high. Our prices do include the mandatory 12% VAT, 3% local tax and 10% service charge. Many of our guests appreciate the private ambiance that we offer and we do consider guest who would like to visit Cebu City by offering a complimentary Shopping trip once a day to SM and Ayala Malls. We regret the inconvenience that the local taxi drivers put you through. We are in constant communication with the local tourism office in trying to find solutions to address this world wide concern regarding taxi drivers who take advantage of tourists.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Male
Reviewed June 18, 2013

everything was amazing in costabella (food, service, rooms), staff are very friendly, food is yumyum, clean and calm hotel, what a huge bed they have i loved it, sure that ill comeback, it s the ideal place especialy for families

Room Tip: the view from the Higher floor (7th) is amazing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Emassuoh,

Our Team is very happy to read your great review! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for choosing to stay at Costabella.

We all look forward to being of service to you and your family in the near future.
Lapulapu City, Cebu
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was 3 years ago before my June 16 visit this year (2013) and I could definitely point out improvements.

First, many might not be so keen on "greetings" especially at the reception, but I don't know maybe it's just me... Greeting the guests is an absolute requirement for me especially if I bring my friends around to my locality, Cebu. And the moment I've stepped at the reception area (when I just look so ordinarily a local, in slippers, shirt and pedal shorts with small bag and no make-up) the smiling receptionist greeted me with sincerest smile - and that started my superb experience!

She then pointed me out to the restaurant area whom again, I have been treated with so much warmth by the woman at the counter who takes care of the Day Use specials... the resort is mine! mine! mine!!! Weeeeh!

The pool is superbly clean, and the beach shore is well-manicured.

I must also give great comments with the guards in long sleeved swimming tops in white-orange, as they are amazingly friendly. Why would I point that out? Sadly, we filipinos have this sad mentality of looking down to our locals, especially if you look poor OR IF YOU ARE WITH A FOREIGNER/CAUCASIAN, then you will be judged "thru your cover", and it's so sad coz I myself is a filipina. And in sadly again in some resorts, guards and concierge won't give you the same respect as they give to the foreigners, you will be treated with rudeness and won't even look at you in the eyes. But again, I was treated like a Queen by the guards and the lifeguards so politely asking my questions where the restrooms are, and if I could drag one sunlounger to somewhere shady, etc.

And one best thing too are the two superfriendly guys at the concierge last Sunday, June 16, who took care of my taxi ride when rain was pouring. One too, was the a bit older waiter at the restaurant (which you do not much see in other resorts that mature people are employed, where as we knew mature people are more pleasant and reliable than below 20's staff - especially those who are incharged with delicate positions like Restaurant Manager and Head Guard). So anyway, I went alone and my foreigner husband is not around and yup so amazed with the amazing service!

Day use with buffet lunch is a marvelous treat!

Kudos to Costabella!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fritzie D
Dear Ms. Fritzie D.,

Thank you very much! The Costabella Team will be very happy to read about your experience at Costabella.

We strive in our commitment of providing our guests genuine and caring service and we take pleasure when our guests truly experiences our warm hospitality.

Thank you too for taking the time to share this wonderful feedback. We hope see you again soon and look forward to welcoming your husband.
Tokyo
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I can recommend Costabella as a nice little resort. I have no complaints. It is not a 5 star but I felt very comfortable.
I found the staff to be incredible; wonderful attitude, really friendly and helpful. Costabella excels at customer service.
The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The breakfast buffet was very nice, the food service was also very good at any time of the day. The bar is actually 24 hours. I really loved the frozen mojitos.
From the minute your arrive to the minute you leave I'm sure they will treat you like a special guest.
The massage spa was absolutely excellent.
I wish the pool was 24 hour swimming. It closes at 10 PM.
I also wish there were safes in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank SandBTokyo
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear SandBTokyo,

Thank you for your warm and wonderful feedback.

We pride ourselves with a Team committed to providing our guest genuine care.  Your compliments will certainly inspire them to continue the good that they are doing.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our frozen mojitos. We will be sure to inform Lema Filipino Spa of your compliments. We are sure that they will be happy to hear from you.

Our swimming pools are treated with chlorine every night after 10 pm, to keep it fresh and clean for our guests the following day.  A newly chlorinated pool is not advisable for swimming that is why we close it at 10 pm.

We provide Safety Deposit Boxes at the front desk free for use by our guest to ensure all items are secured.

Again, thank you and we hope to see you and your friends again soon.
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My elderly father in law has just suffered an accident in Bohol. As a family we intended to travel through Cebu with prearranged bookings at the Costabella. Due to the accident it would be preferential to continue our family stay in Bohol whilst my father in law recuperates. With expectation we called to cancel our booking at the hotel. We were informed that Booking.com would charge the hotel in full and so the charge would still be made. Further to calling booking.com we were politely informed that this was not the case (little surprise there) so I called the Costabella.com and asked to speak to the manager. The person receiving the call informed me he most senior and again told me a similar but slightly different account, I expressed my view he was not the manager and then was handed to "Pasqual" the manager, I explained the predicament he sympathised and told me as they had lost the opportunity of earning profit from us they would still charge. I enquired therefore that as the profit would not be 100% I asked for a reasonable 15% charge. A different story again was sounded but without avail I was to be charged the full rate. I have posted this review prior to deciding wether to return to the Costabella or, ....... Pasqual if I do return I look forward to your gratitude and quality customer care..., thank you

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Richard W.,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize that it was not made clear to you by our Team that you may send us a valid Doctor Medical certificate for the Hotel to consider your request to waive cancellation charges.
London
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here, it was a very chilled out time sitting on the bean bags by the beach having a couple of drinks, swimming in the sea and swimming pools. The staff were exceptional, attentive but not over bearing and very helpful and accommodating. Food was good, different dishes every morning for breakfast and tasty dishes in both restaurants. Very good selection of drinks, loved the mango daiquiris!

Beach is a small stretch of white sand, clear water and sea life, good for snorkelling. The hotel can arrange day trips and snorkelling to islands nearby. There isn't much directly outside of the resort although I would have liked to have taken advantage of the free bicycles the hotel had for a bike ride around the area except they didn;t have two available when we wanted to go out. The hotel can arrange a taxi to take you to nearby restaurants and sights.

Our room was one of the deluxe pool side, lovely room, very clean and a HUGE bed, had a balcony with table and chairs wso we could sit outside in the evening before dinner and enjoy a few drinks.

The location is good, not too far from the airport, 15 minutes by car. It is a contained resort with two restaurants and lovely pools. The surroundings are very well kept, coconut trees everywhere and pretty plants, lots of sun beds and shower facilites if you are catching a late flight out.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the best views over the resort and beach. We stayed for 3 nights which was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunshinetravels78
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Ms. Sunshinetravels78,

Our Team will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience at Costabella. We take pride in rendering genuine and caring service to our guests and are thankful for your wonderful review.

Please do let us know when you plan to return so that a bicycle will be available for you to use.

Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.