“costabella”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Plus points-pleasant enough hotel (excellent breakfast !) , nice/friendly staff , excellent breakfast and good if you are looking for isolation (families ,romantic getaway etc). Also enjoyed the nightly (live) music

Negatives -if you want to explore this is not a good base . ..
Agree (Kasparainens) that the vendors trying to sell boat rides/island hopping etc are annoying -but they are only trying to make a living ..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank 102chrisr
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear 102chrisr,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and particularly liked our breakfast, nightly entertainment and our services. We take pride in our Team who genuinely cares for our guests. I am sure they will be most happy to know that they are well appreciated.

Costabella is located in an area in Mactan that is far from noise pollution making it ideal for a relaxed vacation. Should you like to explore the historical spots of Cebu, discover nearby islands including having a day tour in Bohol with an accredited travel agent, all you need to do is approach our Guest Service Team and they will be more than glad to assist you. A free one-way shopping trip to SM City and Ayala Center is also available daily. Seats are limited so a day ahead reservation is required.

Costabella is only 45 mins. away from the main city. Should you want to do trips on your own, transportation is readily available with applicable fees.

We apologize for the vendors outside the walls of Costabella. They are not in any way connected with us and the Law allows that they practice self-entrepreneurship. We have security personnel on sight whom you may approach if they become bothersome.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Small beach what disappears during low tide. Very loud and annoying offers from banana boat ride to pilipino prostitutes from the beach boys, sitting next to wall separating the hotel beach area to outside. General staff who doesn't bring beach towels as requested... Very average and hard to imagine what is going on in this place during season when the huge building is full with guests.

Looks like package tourism is the main source of their business and the 4 star rating from many other reviewers is very strange for that place...

Hotel itself is in the middle of nowhere.

The only positive was the younger restaurant staff: pleasant and interested to serve at its best

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kasparainens
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Ms. Kasparaines,

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. Costabella is known for Team Members who are genuinely caring to our guests and who deliver quality service. This is the reason why we have a good volume of guests who give us a four-star rating in reviews and the very reason why we have been in the industry for 32 years now. We have a wide range of clientele who come here not only for leisure but for business purposes as well.

We are glad that you have experienced the kind of service we are known for with our Restaurant Team Member.

We apologize for a different experience you had with our other team member. We assure you that this is an isolated case and we shall discuss this with the Team.

The touts outside the walls and premises of Costabella are not in any way connected with us. By law they are allowed to practice self-entrepreneurship, however engaging in sexual trade is strongly prohibited so we shall inform the rightful authorities on this. We have security personnel on sight whom our guests may approach for assistance if these vendors become bothersome.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been traveling all over the Phillippines since March 4th. This place is by far the worst expirience I have encountered. First when you book the room on Agoda it says to put in your flight number so the hotel can pick you up and you will have to pay. The hotel had no transportation and the clerk did not even know this requirement exists. Then when you check in they give you a list of rules and curfews that boggle the mind I thought I was checking into prison. Then I had to just get another room, because they wanted to charge 2100 a person per night for an extra bed. I asked for a bucket of ice and they charge 35 pesos for that. The website shows free internet, but it is not available in the rooms. I asked for a refund and they upgraded me to a room with wired internet, Naturally it did not work. The place is off the beaten path and secluded from everything. Then when you get to your guest room and open the activitiy book the first thing is 10 pages or more of things you can't do. Want family or friend to visit you in the hotel. No they can only visit you for dinner and if they want to use the pool they have to pay. I have not even left my room and just got turned off by all the false promises you see on the website. FREE WIFI is a must now I am not going to pay for it when 90 percent of hotels offer it for free. they say they have WIFI in public areas, but in the rule book it says charges apply. I spent my first night learning the rules, now i realize you can't enjoy this place. I did ask for my money back, but they say no refund. The rules are tainted soley for the hotel. How this place has such great rating is beyond me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Mr. roblivingthedream,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your stay in Costabella. Transportation can be provided to our guests at applicable fees under a reservation made directly by the agency or directly made by the guest. Agoda is clear on line that you have to coordinate directly with the hotel after putting in your flight details on the internet. Unfortunately this note may have not been noticed by you because the Hotel did not receive any communication from your end and was unaware of your desire for pick-up at the airport. Your voucher only indicated one (1) room accommodation good for two persons with no other inclusions.

We understand from our Front Desk that you came in the Hotel with two more friends making it a total of
4 persons. For the comfort of our guests, the Hotel only allows a maximum of 3 adults in a room with extra person charge that is standard for all hotels. You were offered an option of a second room so you will not crowd in one room and be inconvenienced. Besides, two extra person rate combined can already be applied on a second room with a little add on and a guarantee of a more comfortable stay.

Visitors of our guests are welcome in public areas. Should they wish to stay for the day, we encourage them to avail of our Day Trip arrangement that is inclusive of a set meal during Mondays to Saturdays and Buffet Lunch on Sundays with use of swimming facilities at applicable fees, for them to fully enjoy Costabella.

Hotels are required by law to clearly indicate their house rules to properly guide the guest upon arrival. We had a lot of guests who have been thankful of these guidelines that we include in our compendium because it gives them the idea of the things that they can do and the things to avoid as guided by the city regulations. We regret that you felt restricted by it when all we wanted was to keep you informed.

WiFi is provided for free in WiFi Zones. Rooms that are not included in the WiFi Zones are provided with LAN cable for the needed connection. We apologize if the WiFi and internet connection in your rooms were weak at the time of your usage. Sometimes the volume of users can slow it down though no further complaints were received from other in-house guests. Use of the internet station is charged accordingly as stated in our compendium.

The Hotel spends to buy ice that is provided for free at our restaurant outlets. We only apply a minimal charge when request is made from the room and we have to do delivery.

Refund arrangements for Agoda bookings are handled directly by the agency and not by the Hotel. We apologize if this has not been clearly explained to you by our Front Desk. Rest assured that this shall be discussed with the Front Office Team.

Have a pleasant day!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The staff here are always ready to help whatever you need. There's lots to do including water sports. The beach is also very private. You can enjoy smoothies and cocktails on the beach. A lot of families enjoy their time here but a lot of group trips from all nations also enjoy coming. Don't miss Lema, the Filipino inspired spa where you'll be treated like a Sultan (or princess!)

Room Tip: Book in advance if you want a beach front
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank firesenshi
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Daghang salamat! Thank you for your wonderful review.

We take pride in our Team who are dedicated in providing genuine and caring service to all our guest and we consider them one of our greatest assets. It gives them great pleasure to be of service and we are thankful when our guests take notice.

Likewise, our LEMA Filipino Spa is well known for their excellent services. They will be happy to know that they are appreciated. Thank you for enjoying our services, our water sports, our smoothies and cocktails at the Beach Bar.

Rest assured that we will always strive to give our best. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Have stayed here before and I was amazed that they have maintained their spot in the resort industry despite the new and bigger chain of resorts in the area. What I like here is they have maintained to be personalized service which is good for family vacations.

We came here for a day trip. At Php 795/person, this already includes entrance fee, use of pool and beach amenities, and lunch buffet. Drinks not included though. This is already cheap if compared with other resorts in the area.

This resort is not as big as others in the area, but good enough to be enjoyed by kids and adults as well. They have 2 pools - 1 kiddie starting at 1.6ft, and an adult pool with a short slide. In the midst of the pool area is their Brisa restaurant, where you can sit back and relax while eating and watching your kid enjoy the swim in the pool. Their lunch buffet is served in their main restaurant near the entrance - La Marina. The food is ok. Nothing extraordinary though.

Their beach is perfect white sand and constantly rid of seaweeds by an attendant. When we went there, the water was crystal clear. It was very inviting that people flocked to the beach rather than at the pool, including the kids.

The resort offered many other recreational beach activities like their Banana boat ride which is at Php 500.00 per person for 15 minutes ride. However, hawkers at the other side of the fence were offering it at Php 1,300.00 for 6 persons already.

Pros : The place is charming, very relaxing. Pool and beach are both clean and enticing.
Cons : Food is expensive. But you can bring in snacks and extra drinks. Main meal is ordered at their restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chickmom

Dear Chickmom,
Daghang salamat! Thank you for the great feedback.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your day with us, most specially our beach and pools. We strive to continually improve our facilities to better service our guests and our loyal patrons who have been with us for the last 32 years. This is our way of showing our guests that we care and listen to their needs.

Thank you for showing your appreciation of our Team who do take every opportunity to provide all our guest with genuine and caring service.

The hawkers outside the walls of Costabella are not in any way connected with us. We encourage our guests to patronize legitimate concessionaires of the Hotel whose quality of service we can vouch for and who are proven to be reliable.

We can't wait to see you again on your next day trip with us. Please visit us soon!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

this place is the most aweful resort ive ever been. i am a filipino who came to visit philippines from canada. i thought this place would give me the best impression of my whole 3 week vacation. anyways, i booked to stay in this hotel. they give us 1room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds. we were three people. they ask us to pay extra P1,700 for the third person since 1 room is only good for 2 people. i was like " then how come u have 3 beds in 1 room?" they were like because thats how our rooms are set up..i was already pretty pissed yet i just tried to forget about it. my other friend came and visited us in the resort. we went to the seashore and chatted, taking photos,videos and enjoying the sunset. 1 crew came and told us the 4th person cannot use their resort property unless she has to pay P700 for the resort fee which already includes dinner. that was rediculous. my friend was just sitting on the sand and they want her to pay P700 for using their property. so i was very pissed. i went to the desk and told them i want to leave the resort and take my deposit back. they give me my deposit but they didnt refund me my money which is worth $130 or about P5,000 because they said it is nonrefundable. they never even asked me why i want to leave the resort. no question asked on how to make my stay better.. on our way out of the resort, i was telling to the guard how aweful their service was and he said " oh! ma'am this is a resort for tourists, thst is why." I said, "im a tourist. i came from canada." he's like "oh ma'am i meant tourists that are not filipinos." i was totally speechless. we phoned a taxi and left.. bad bad resort. i shouldve paid extra mote money and stayed at plantation bay.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank ranjelicated
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear ranjelicated,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear about your stay at the Resort. We do pride ourselves in our ability to provide genuine and caring service to our guests and we are surprised by your experience.  Rest assured that this matter will be taken seriously and discussed with our Team.

We do have some rooms with more than two beds that are designed to comfortably accommodate a family of two adults and two children below 11 years old or three adults with a corresponding extra person charge on the third person. Your reservation and the rate quoted to you was for a double room, thus, the Front Desk associate informed you of an extra person charge when there were three persons in your party instead of two.

The Resort accepts guests who come just for the day and avail of our Day Trip promo. A fee of P795 is collected for adults, which in addition to the use of swimming and resort facilities, also include a plated pre-set meal from Mondays to Saturdays or a buffet lunch on Sundays.

We regret that our Team was not able to suitably explain these policies to you and that you had to cut-short your stay because of this.  It is also by international standard practice to collect a cancellation fee of  at least one night from guests who cut short their stay. This is to cover for the opportunity lost in not being able to sell the room that was reserved for you particularly on January which is high/peak season.  Again, our apologies if this was not clearly explained to you.

Should you have further concerns, please feel free to e-mail us at rsvn@costabellaresort.com and we will immediately respond to you.

Have a pleasant day!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

the room needs to improve its cleanliness. there were ants around the room, and I have to switch on my insect repellent to stop getting mosquitos bites.

Although there is an improvement, my room has working wifi connection, which is good.

as what one of the commenters has said, the breakfast has a lot of room for improvement. and what angered me was that the staff refused to help me refill my water bottles at the restaurant. the water is basically free, but they simply refused to help. the two bottles of complimentary mineral water are just not enough for consumption. we tried to boil the tap water in our room, but the water looks so milky with all the unknown residue that I know I can't drink. we have no choice but to buy water from outside, because I wun pay for the ridiculously priced mineral water in the room bar. I thought I only need to buy my own clean water if I stay in budget hotel, it is a shame that this happened in Costabella.

I m still staying here for another night before I depart mactan island. though most likely I wun return to this place again, I so hope I had chosen another resort.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Wenhua
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Mr. Wenhua,
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.  We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary WiFi internet in your room.

Tropical insects are part of our natural surroundings being in a tropical island.  For the comfort of our guests, windows are screened and insect repellants are available. Ants are easily attracted to food and sweets. It is for these reasons that we discourage our guests from tempting them by leaving food in the room.

We take the matter of cleanliness seriously and will discuss your concern with our Housekeeping Team. We have received many positive feedbacks on our breakfast buffet, nevertheless, we shall discuss further improvement on the choices of our breakfast buffet with the Food and Beverage Team.

At our restaurants, we do offer complimentary house water served in drinking glasses. However for health and safety reasons, local regulations prohibit us from refilling guests’ water bottles and container. We apologize that this was not made clear by our staff. Complimentary bottled water is provided for room occupants and is replenished daily.

It is with regret that we did not live up to your expectations.  It has been our pleasure to serve you.
If you do change your mind in the future, you are always welcome at Costabella!