“terrible costumer service”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed March 29, 2013

this place is the most aweful resort ive ever been. i am a filipino who came to visit philippines from canada. i thought this place would give me the best impression of my whole 3 week vacation. anyways, i booked to stay in this hotel. they give us 1room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds. we were three people. they ask us to pay extra P1,700 for the third person since 1 room is only good for 2 people. i was like " then how come u have 3 beds in 1 room?" they were like because thats how our rooms are set up..i was already pretty pissed yet i just tried to forget about it. my other friend came and visited us in the resort. we went to the seashore and chatted, taking photos,videos and enjoying the sunset. 1 crew came and told us the 4th person cannot use their resort property unless she has to pay P700 for the resort fee which already includes dinner. that was rediculous. my friend was just sitting on the sand and they want her to pay P700 for using their property. so i was very pissed. i went to the desk and told them i want to leave the resort and take my deposit back. they give me my deposit but they didnt refund me my money which is worth $130 or about P5,000 because they said it is nonrefundable. they never even asked me why i want to leave the resort. no question asked on how to make my stay better.. on our way out of the resort, i was telling to the guard how aweful their service was and he said " oh! ma'am this is a resort for tourists, thst is why." I said, "im a tourist. i came from canada." he's like "oh ma'am i meant tourists that are not filipinos." i was totally speechless. we phoned a taxi and left.. bad bad resort. i shouldve paid extra mote money and stayed at plantation bay.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank ranjelicated
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear ranjelicated,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear about your stay at the Resort. We do pride ourselves in our ability to provide genuine and caring service to our guests and we are surprised by your experience.  Rest assured that this matter will be taken seriously and discussed with our Team.

We do have some rooms with more than two beds that are designed to comfortably accommodate a family of two adults and two children below 11 years old or three adults with a corresponding extra person charge on the third person. Your reservation and the rate quoted to you was for a double room, thus, the Front Desk associate informed you of an extra person charge when there were three persons in your party instead of two.

The Resort accepts guests who come just for the day and avail of our Day Trip promo. A fee of P795 is collected for adults, which in addition to the use of swimming and resort facilities, also include a plated pre-set meal from Mondays to Saturdays or a buffet lunch on Sundays.

We regret that our Team was not able to suitably explain these policies to you and that you had to cut-short your stay because of this.  It is also by international standard practice to collect a cancellation fee of  at least one night from guests who cut short their stay. This is to cover for the opportunity lost in not being able to sell the room that was reserved for you particularly on January which is high/peak season.  Again, our apologies if this was not clearly explained to you.

Should you have further concerns, please feel free to e-mail us at rsvn@costabellaresort.com and we will immediately respond to you.

Have a pleasant day!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

the room needs to improve its cleanliness. there were ants around the room, and I have to switch on my insect repellent to stop getting mosquitos bites.

Although there is an improvement, my room has working wifi connection, which is good.

as what one of the commenters has said, the breakfast has a lot of room for improvement. and what angered me was that the staff refused to help me refill my water bottles at the restaurant. the water is basically free, but they simply refused to help. the two bottles of complimentary mineral water are just not enough for consumption. we tried to boil the tap water in our room, but the water looks so milky with all the unknown residue that I know I can't drink. we have no choice but to buy water from outside, because I wun pay for the ridiculously priced mineral water in the room bar. I thought I only need to buy my own clean water if I stay in budget hotel, it is a shame that this happened in Costabella.

I m still staying here for another night before I depart mactan island. though most likely I wun return to this place again, I so hope I had chosen another resort.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Wenhua
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Mr. Wenhua,
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.  We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary WiFi internet in your room.

Tropical insects are part of our natural surroundings being in a tropical island.  For the comfort of our guests, windows are screened and insect repellants are available. Ants are easily attracted to food and sweets. It is for these reasons that we discourage our guests from tempting them by leaving food in the room.

We take the matter of cleanliness seriously and will discuss your concern with our Housekeeping Team. We have received many positive feedbacks on our breakfast buffet, nevertheless, we shall discuss further improvement on the choices of our breakfast buffet with the Food and Beverage Team.

At our restaurants, we do offer complimentary house water served in drinking glasses. However for health and safety reasons, local regulations prohibit us from refilling guests’ water bottles and container. We apologize that this was not made clear by our staff. Complimentary bottled water is provided for room occupants and is replenished daily.

It is with regret that we did not live up to your expectations.  It has been our pleasure to serve you.
If you do change your mind in the future, you are always welcome at Costabella!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for a full 6 days ,so I got a real feel for it. The hotel and resort is really nice. Rooms are good size and well serviced. Not spotless ,but not really too much to complain about. Everything worked and when it didn't the SErvice guys were then in minutes!!! Food was lovely and not too expensive,Brekky was ok , nothing to rave about but enough to satisfy.
Pools was lovely and worked on continually to keep pristine. Different musicians at dinner every night which I enjoyed. The negatives were a permanent crowd of conference attendees. Rowdy till all hours and dozens screaming in the pool like 3 yr olds.......but I guess that isn't the hotels fault.
The other major put off as the continual arguing with Taxi drivers. I had continual problems with overcharging by taxis which were called by the hotel staff. They magically claimed a extra 50 or even extra100 Pesos because COstabella is somewhat off the main road!! But they switch on the meter and u get charged more cos they have to drive further.....so why the surplus 50 PEsos??????.........ok I know it's NOT a lot of money but the principle of being ripped off every time u want to go sightseeing etc.....really turned me off this Hotel and Cebu in general actually.
I understand the taxis are not the concern of the hotel but they really should consider a courteously bus into town etc.......
I spent two weeks in Cebu and I would like to say i stayed in 3Hotels which were All nice. But I'm afraid the PHillipines won't see me again......back to Bali or Phuket for me next trip

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 255103Joe
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Mr. 255103Joe,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the services and facilities of Costabella. We take pride in our Team who takes pleasure in rendering genuine and caring service to our guests and we are glad that you have experienced it.

We regret that some of the guests proved to be too noisy and affected your experience. We try as much as possible to regulate the noise around the resort and we apologize for your inconvenience.

Our apologies for the behavior of the taxi drivers which is certainly not acceptable. Filipinos are generally hospitable, friendly and trustworthy people.

For the convenience of our guests we provide a free one-way shopping trip daily to SM City and Ayala Center at 10:00 in the morning with limited seating. This service was temporarily suspended from March 8-22, due to changes in government regulations. We are pleased to announce its resumption on March 23.

We hope you will not let your experience with the taxi drivers discourage you from visiting the Philippines again. We have over 7,107 islands with diverse cultures offering wonderful attractions and warm hospitality.

Please do visit us again!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is nice and there are some activities like jet ski or wait board..But you need to pay for all of them!The staff always tried to make us pay more!They made us pay an exorbitant extra fee for extra bed but they didn't gave us one it was just because there was an extra person!If you go there make sure that you only use the 300 ml hotel water bottle and not the exactly same one that is 500 ml because they will charge it!Overall i would recommend this hotel if it cost 80 $ less!But it's not the case so I don't!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Libeccio16
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Libeccio16,

Thank for enjoying the services of the Hotel. Watersports like jet-skis and wave runners are under the Hotel’s concessionaire. There is a charge which is used to cover rental and safety maintenance of the water equipments to better serve guests.

Our hotel has varied bed configurations flexible enough to accommodate our guests. Such as rooms with 3 single beds, 2 single beds, 2 double beds or 1 double bed and 1 single bed most of which have no need for a set-up of an extra bed.

However in the case of a triple occupancy (3 Adults), the hotel charges an extra person rate patterned from an international standard practice in the hospitality industry.

For the convenience of our guests we provide one (1) complimentary bottle of mineral water for each occupant on a daily basis. This is the 350ml bottle that you consumed in the room. To avoid confusion this is marked as “complimentary” and is visibly smaller compared to the larger 500ml bottle which is part of the mini-bar and like all items in the minbar, is consumed at a fee as per international standard.

We hope we were able to clear any confusion you may have had with regards to our room amenities and watersport facilities pertaining to fees.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel is adequate with the exception of its falsely advertised free wi-fi access. We could not even connect in the public areas let alone the room. Although a free LAN cable was provided this did not help with IPads and Phones. The staff admitted it was very weak so until this is improved the hotel should remove in my view the free wifi sign it has on Agoda. Check in was swift and they accommodated my request for a king size bed without fuss. The room is nicely furnished with a big bathroom and a nice balcony. The bed is huge but the bedding could be improved it is not really practicable cosy or that comfortable the pillows were pretty hard as well. The room amenities are a bit sparse small towels, no face towels and just flip flops (no slippers) with no bath robes. Aircon was effective and was not troubled by noise. Think some of the other reports that mention noise may involve adjacent hotels and their entertainment. Overall room was fine but with a little bit of extra effort could have been made really nice. They also lacked an in room safe. Pool area is reasonable and seemed to be sufficient pool chairs. Nice quiet area of beach and staff were happy to move loungers there so that we could enjoy the sand and sea.
We ate there twice and food was reasonable and for a resort not over priced, its a lot cheaper to eat outside of course but the resort is quite remote so there are limited options to do so within walking distance. The seaside restaurant has a nice ambience but could do with a broader selection of choices, or perhaps offer people the chance to order from the main restaurant menu. Breakfast buffet was of an acceptable standard, but the male staff seemed a bit grumpy whilst the female staff were much more accommodating and pleasant. We had a good massage which was nice but the attendants were eager for tips despite a service charge being added (I hope the staff get their share of this) If you added the tip to the bill you would have received a service charge on the tip as well!!! I am not tight but I had no cash with me and do not want to be charged service charge on top of a tip.
Check out was rather slow even though the front desk did not seem very busy. Overall however I found the staff with the exception of breakfast male waiters and over zealous pool guards to be pretty good and friendly if not always super efficient.
So would I stay again? Probably not since I think there is better value to be had in Cebu and Mactan. However I guess the hotel knows it's market. Guess my slight disappointment was that with a little extra effort the hotel could be a good quality 4 Star in a great location. The savings made in some areas take the edge off what could be quite a nice little resort.

Room Tip: Get a king size bed if you are a couple it is huge. If you are after internet probably best to try a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alster2409
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Mr. Alster2409,

Thank you for your feedback.

We take pride in knowing our team members do what they can to deliver genuine and caring service to our guests. And as such we shall look into your concern with regards to these isolated behaviors and we shall make sure that these are corrected.

Lema Filipino Spa, one of our in-house concessionaires, does not impose a service charge. However, this is still no reason for its staff to behave in the manner that they did. We were reassured by its owner that such behavior is never tolerated and corrective measures shall be undertaken.

WiFi access is indeed provided in WiFi zone areas for free. Our guests continuously enjoy these services and are happy with the connection that they are getting. We regret to hear though that you did not enjoy this special provision of the Hotel. We shall discuss this with our technical team and see how we can further develop our connecting services.

Our safety deposit box is located by the lobby and is very well monitored to guarantee security of our guests’ belongings. We make it a point to encourage our guests to avail of it to ensure a more relaxing vacation.

Our guests generally find our bed very comfortable and amenities in the room quite sufficient. It is sad to hear that we did not pass with your standards.

We value your opinion and we shall look into means of further improvement on all your concerns.

We do hope you visit us again someday.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have booked a premium poolside room and is able to enjoy the sea view right from my balcony. The room is very comfortable and clean. The hotel staff are very customer oriented which makes the hotel stay even better. The food at the restaurant is also good.

This is a family oriented hotel and I can see a lot of kids enjoying themselves at the pool. The private beach at the hotel is a plus point too.

My room is on the 7th level and I can still hear the band playing their music at 11pm. As such, those who got themselves a lower level floor must be prepared to bear with the loud music at night. Wifi is only available at my balcony and not in my room.

Overall, it has been a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Daghang salamat! Thank you for the great review.

We are glad you enjoyed stay at the hotel. We are very proud of our staff who do take every opportunity to provide all our guest genuine and caring service.

We are happy to know you liked the food at the restaurant and were satisfied with our room.
Yes we are very family oriented and our Guest Service Team most especially does take an effort to engage children in different activities at the resort.

We are aware of the sound levels of the local music group and do limit their hours to 10 pm, as not to bother the guests at night. We are sorry if it caused any inconvenience.

We take this concern seriously and we will investigate further.

The issue on WiFi reach is being addressed and we hope to improve it by your next stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

As a frequent traveler I've been in a number of Mactan beach hotels (Tambuli for cheaper stays and Shangri-la Mactan for splurging), and I must say Costabella impressed.

We stayed from the 1st to the 4th of Feb, and nearly everything was excellent. Lovely well-furnished room, large pools, friendly staff, and most importantly, a clean and spacious beach area, with lots of beach chairs (and beanbags!), no sea urchins or jellyfish during our stay, and delightfully little seaweed. As mentioned before, the staff are the highlight of the hotel with all of them never failing to greet us good morning/afternoon/evening. Peewee at the front desk was particularly helpful, along with Don in the Marina restaurant. Breakfast is buffet-stye even if the meal stub says "plated breakfast" and hot dishes rotate every day, with pancakes and french toast, and a soup, cereal, salad, and bread stations as constant. This hotel also serves the crispiest bacon I have ever had. Delicious.

They also have an in-house spa, Léma, where I tried their Ngindalas sa Kalalawas (or all-natural papaya wrap) and it was pretty good, if a bit expensive. For PHP 1,800 you can usually get a combination wrap and massage elsewhere. My over-salted and over-sunned skin appreciated the respite from the heat.

The only disadvantage I can think of to staying here is that you don't get internet access if you're in a standard room and that the hotel itself is quite far from civilization (such as groceries or restaurants). You're basically reliant on hotel food for the entire time unless you think ahead and bring in snacks. We didn't think ahead, but I must say the two restaurants have a wide array of choices and large serving sizes. Pricier than eating at, say, Jollibee, but well worth your cash.

All in all, highly recommended.

Room Tip: The standard rooms (far from the restaurant and pool area) are really quiet and are nearer the beach...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank encreverte
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Daghang salamat! Thank you for the great review.

We are very pleased to know that you have fully enjoyed our food, facilities and Spa.

We listen to our guests and we will seriously look into your concerns about our WiFi connection.

Pewee, Danny, and the rest of the team will be happy to know that you have appreciated their quality of service.

We are extremely proud of all our team members as they genuinely care and look forward to every opportunity to serve our guests.

Please do visit us again!