“It couldn't have been more perfect!”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were revamped from Moevenpick Cebu to this hotel for my wedding day preparation since Moevenpick embarked a long renovation project.

I had mixed feeling of fear and worry since I have never been to this hotel and we were booked for a total of 3 nights and 2 rooms, 1 for the groom and a 1 bedroom suite for the bride for all the entourage to fit in for the dress up!

All my worries went away during check in, the historical spanish feel of the hotel is strong, wonderful decor in the rooms, comfortable beds and lounge chairs and the view to a wonderful beach. For half the price to the other 5star hotels along the same coastline, this is a great deal! Top it up with amazing service, every requests I made was given. We were so happy we booked a total of 5 more rooms even after the wedding for our relatives to enjoy.

It was a beautiful experience. Thank you Costabella! We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
CTBH, General Manager at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear mrs_wanderlust2007,

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words and feedback.
I will be sure to share this with the entire team.

We look forward to having you and your family back real soon.
Congratulations!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The booking was denied by the sales representative after I purchased my family airfares, so I was both desperate and upset.
No holidays and no flight reimbursement!
After much email exchanges the hotel reservations found an alternative in a near by hotel at same price, I took that. At the end they contacted me again and confirmed my room at Costabella.
I teavelled with my three kids 12. 4 and 3 so I was a bit concerned of the facilities reading at previous reviews.
The hotel pick up was not flawless ( small car not fit for four people with bags, ask for a van if you travelling with family)
To my surprise at check in I was upgraded to the next level room, a sea side corner suite, it was nicely sized and I could either jump from the balcony or walk two stairs down to the beach. My kids loved it.
Restaurant has a decent menu, most food is Philippine or Asian but taste is really good.
Do not eat there during weekends, too many people!
Staff is very kind and accommodating, very helpful too ( I needed assistance with three kids)
Facilities yes are a bit old but well kept, clean and safety is always a priority there.
There are two life guards in the pool that on top of promptly setting you on a lounger with your clean beach towel they also carefully look at the kids in the water slide.
I'd been in better and worst hotels, but this is one I would definitely return to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new seven storey building or at the sea front. Do not get rooms in the old wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cosmopolitan67
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Costabella Resort on Mactan Island, only 15 minutes by taxi from the Cebu airport, is a very good hotel with rooms in different prices. We stayed in a one room suite with balcony and view on the beach. Flat screen tv and mini bar in the room.The service was excellent. The restaurant, with a perfect buffet breakfast and very good dinners, was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite in the higer building with view on 2 sites and
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hermansworld
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A colleague and I stayed here sometime last November. Did not have much time to get around writing a review but finally decided to do so.

Pros: The staff were always helpful and kind. Especially, the waiters and the laundry girls, they were always smiling and were welcoming to us. The food was so-so, we realized that Filipinos love their beef and pork! Being a Hindu, and my colleague being a Muslim, we were unable to touch either without offending the other person. The concierge was especially helpful in arranging for us cars and tours.

Cons: The rooms were musty and dusty. They looked old and badly in need or a MAJOR revamp. On the second day, the toilet broke down and water started flowing out. It was a nightmare. The bed was uncomfy and the pillows were hard. Even though we paid a reasonable amount for the deluxe room, it felt as though we were staying in a motel.

Good quiet location but I hope they renovate the premises soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank shaminiras
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This property just renovated last year and I must say they have amped the facilities and rooms. I stayed at their Premiere Deluxe Room with the signature Costabella King Size bed which was enormous- could fit 4-5 people comfortably. The interiors of the room were very much Cebuano with the capiz detailing and local furniture from the bed to the accent chairs, sliding doors and tv rack. Views of the beach inside the room is spectacular, depending on the type of room you're gonna book.

The resort has small, intimate swimming pools that's surrounded by the white sand of Mactan Beach- which by the way is also swimmable.

The people, I must say, bear the true Filipino hospitality. They greet you with smiles once you enter the resort and check-in. They'll also offer you their signature welcome drink as they escort you to your room, your luggage in their care as you walk through the resort comfortably.

I love this resort. One of the best Mactan has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was a pleasant surprise after the hectic horrors of Manila. I took lthe ocal minivan to Blue Waters and walked through a village and a bit of pasture to get to the resort. Lots of great photo opportunities so close to a major airport. The resort welcomes you with a nice cooling drink, towel and smiles. The place was decorated in that antique heavy Spanish look and with the landscaped gardens, it presented as an old world blend of Philipino and Spanish heritage. Run by descendants of the founding family, an air or refinement persists and of old wealth though the wooden statues and old building rooms look well past their prime. I spent the first day photographing the wonderful ornaments and artifacts representative of Phlippine culture and history of the region of Cebu. The views from the top floor of the new block were marvellous and sea breezes cools the place year round. Regadless of the neighbouring people touting from morning till night for your business to island hop or jet ski, the place has a serenity one longs for after a week in Manila and not soothed by a sorry visit to Tagatay. The breakfast buffet was splendid (make sure you access the local cocoa - and the meals whatever you want - I asked for the vegetarian Pinakbet and the fabulous banana and jackfruit fritters and both were wonderful, serenaded as I was by the nighly array of local talent singing me songs about the Pinoy. I loved the place and will return but be warned- check for renovations and check you are not going into the old wing. Nothing worse than dank smelly rooms and horrendous building noise when you went thousands of miles to get away from renovating your own home in Australia. PS the housekeepr was an angel and altered my new shorts for nothing - no-one looks for a tip here either and you get a free shuttle to the city 26km away to sightsee and shop at leisure - the Ayala Mall is great if it's shopping you want and try coming back by local ferry and stop at the Virgin mary shrine where real pilgrims make offerings of black candles to a black madonna - quite wonderful and very very spiritual. I just love this place and must see more of Cebu next trip...PS there is a magnificent souvenir shop on the main island in the city - ask how to find it - you can set up a whole business back home selling these things - they are really not tacky tourist stuff - check out the beautiful wood carvings but make sure customs allows it in. PPS you can get cheap spa services back in the township near the airport BUT the facilities are horrid and not clean - try the resort spa - it is amazing architecturally and the ambiance inside it is something you have to experience to believe. No spa beats this one for atmosphere. Or stay in the units near the spa if you are a group - more homely than the hotel rooms.

Room Tip: ask for the new wing and not the standard rooms or the pool side rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Costabella is located at Mactan and is a long trip from the Mactan Airport. You can take a cab from the airport or, you can ride a jeepney to the Mactan Shrine (which we did, and it is not difficult at all) and took a cab from there to Costabella (you will save on transportation costs).

We checked-in at Costabella after a very tiring city tour of Cebu. When we arrived, the receptionists were very accommodating and immediately sent for cold towels and welcome drinks, which we really appreciated. We had no problems checking in, considering that we confirmed our booking only through email correspondences.

We stayed in one of their pool-side rooms and, although it was not that new, it was spacious, clean and well-kept. It was a few seconds' walk to the pool and a minute's walk, maybe, to the beach. The beach, though the sands of which are not comparable to the sands of Boracay, was decent and clean. The sandbar, however, is short and the length of the beach is limited by the boundaries of the resort.

The pools are well-kept and the lifeguards on duty weren't rude and did not gawk at the guests (as some lifeguards do). When it was time for them to clean up the pool (at about 10 in the evening), they did not ask us to leave the pool but instead waited patiently for us to finish swimming.

The restaurant's food was expensive (example: fresh buko juice at P110). BUT, totally worth it. The waiters were professional. The food was superb. Their breakfast buffet was heaven.

The check-out took some time due to some final checks made by the resort staff. The guards called a cab for us.

Over-all, the stay at Costabella was worth the money. =)

Room Tip: If you are into swimming a lot, choose the poolside rooms. They are near the beach and the pools.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple